Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TG Adaptor Plate for HD Front Fork Baffle

Old 11-17-2013, 10:55 AM
JJHOG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TG Adaptor Plate for HD Front Fork Baffle

I have the Fork Wind Deflectors which do an excellent job but wanted to complete the job by installing the HD Front Fork Baffle. Because of the Steering Damper Assembly the HD Baffle can not be installed in the holes already there on the lower triple tree.

I made an adaptor that will allow one to install the front fork baffle slightly lower than stock installation position yet still clear and movement and position of the steering damper.

I went to Lowes and bought a 1/8" x 2" x 3' piece of aluminum stock. While I was there I also bought some stainless steel 1/4" x 20 button head bolts, lock washers and nuts. The HD Front Fork Baffle comes with a set of 1/4 x 20's so I just needed to by another set for the repositioned mounting holes for the baffle itself.

I've attached a diagram with measurements of the adaptor plate. The diagram in not to scale by all the measurements needed to make the plate are there. Also attached are pictures of the finished plate and one with the baffle attached. I'll be sending mine out to get powder coated HD Vivid Black but you can paint it yourself.

When the HD Front Fork Baffle is normally installed it widens front to back on the corners and conforms to the curve of the cowbells. On the Tri Glide the Front Fork Baffle has to be mounted about 1 1/4" lower which leaves a gap between the cowbells and the baffle. To stop wind from coming through this gap the Adaptor Plate extends beyond the width of the baffle. You really can't see this gap from the front because it's behind the cowbells but I wanted fill in the gap hopefully stopping any airflow coming up behind the fairing.

Anyway, it's getting cold here, I was bored and needed something to preoccupy mine free time. With the Baffle installed on the Adaptor Plate it looks goofy but once you install it on the Tri Glide it blends in. It does the job for me and it only cost me $10 bucks for the aluminum bar stock. Will probably cost me $25 bucks to get it powder coated.

Attached Thumbnails TG Adaptor Plate for HD Front Fork Baffle-dscn1425.jpg   TG Adaptor Plate for HD Front Fork Baffle-dscn1427.jpg   TG Adaptor Plate for HD Front Fork Baffle-adaptor-plate-front-fork-baffle-001.jpg  

Last edited by JJHOG; 11-17-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:31 AM
JJHOG
Road Captain
Default Installed Pictures

Here are some pictures with the Adaptor Plate/Baffle installed.

Attached Thumbnails TG Adaptor Plate for HD Front Fork Baffle-dscn1428.jpg   TG Adaptor Plate for HD Front Fork Baffle-dscn1430.jpg   TG Adaptor Plate for HD Front Fork Baffle-dscn1431.jpg   TG Adaptor Plate for HD Front Fork Baffle-dscn1432.jpg  

Last edited by JJHOG; 11-18-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Moneywoes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see a picture of the adapter and a picture of the adapter mounted on the baffle, the diagrahm you mentioned isn't showing up. Once powdercoated it should look pretty good.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:46 AM
JJHOG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Moneywoes
I see a picture of the adapter and a picture of the adapter mounted on the baffle, the diagrahm you mentioned isn't showing up. Once powdercoated it should look pretty good.
Sorry, it's there now.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:08 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by JJHOG
Sorry, it's there now.
Here is an air foil that Was made by a member (ronnie cissell) on this forum. It works great. I am running it on mine. You don't need the Harley baffle to go with it.

https://app.box.com/s/0dhgtkp547gvktfc64zn

Last edited by sloufoot; 11-17-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:20 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, used the Harley baffle and did pretty much the same thing last year. Looks like it came that way from the factory.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:39 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you take it off in the summer? Does it really make a big difference in the winter?

Old 11-17-2013, 11:16 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't take mine off.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:01 AM
JJHOG
Road Captain

Yes it does make a difference and no you don't take it off. It actually increases the airflow to the motor.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:38 PM
TomWoodgeard
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you up to making another one up? I would gladly pay for your time.
I really miss the baffle (had one on my 2010 Ultra and it made a big difference)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TG Adaptor Plate for HD Front Fork Baffle