Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

tri Gld handling

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:31 AM
JRs13TRIGLD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tri Gld handling

Experience trk owners. I've noticed the difference in handling in just a short time,no surprise. What are some options for better feel. Should u try and roll back existing handlebars and adjust or change them out. Just don't wanna make premature move without being sure of the benefits. Thanx , JR

Old 01-19-2014, 11:30 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

What aspect of the handling are you wanting to address?

Old 01-19-2014, 02:02 PM
JRs13TRIGLD
Advanced
Default TriGld Handling

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
What aspect of the handling are you wanting to address?
I would say that the reach feels awkward left and right. Haven't ridden it much to get the feel of smooth turning in and out of turns. I don't know, am I gonna be reaching consistently to negotiate smooth turning radius

Old 01-19-2014, 06:35 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by JRs13TRIGLD
I would say that the reach feels awkward left and right. Haven't ridden it much to get the feel of smooth turning in and out of turns. I don't know, am I gonna be reaching consistently to negotiate smooth turning radius
One of the first things I did was change out my handlebars. Could not stand how far forward they were...and I don't have short arms. However, I do tend to slouch a bit against the backrest.

First important thing to do is find out where your hands are most comfortable.

There is an easy 2 minute test to find out....check it out at this link-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/other...andlebars.html

Once you have done that and know where your hands are most comfortable...then it is a matter of finding handlebars that will put your hands in that perfect position.

I spent a bit of time looking, and in the end I just added about 7" of length to the stock handlebars. This put the grips much closer to me, and also ended up making the grips wider apart. This gave me more leverage on the grips for less effort in turning the wheel.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-19-2014, 09:50 PM
JRs13TRIGLD
Advanced
Default Handling tri gld

Originally Posted by DK Custom
One of the first things I did was change out my handlebars. Could not stand how far forward they were...and I don't have short arms. However, I do tend to slouch a bit against the backrest.

First important thing to do is find out where your hands are most comfortable.

There is an easy 2 minute test to find out....check it out at this link-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/other...andlebars.html

Once you have done that and know where your hands are most comfortable...then it is a matter of finding handlebars that will put your hands in that perfect position.

I spent a bit of time looking, and in the end I just added about 7" of length to the stock handlebars. This put the grips much closer to me, and also ended up making the grips wider apart. This gave me more leverage on the grips for less effort in turning the wheel.

Thanks, gonna check the link like the idea of the addition to existing stock handlebars. Can't digest how it's done , but I'll get it. Thanx , JR

Old 01-20-2014, 06:28 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Thanks, gonna check the link like the idea of the addition to existing stock handlebars. Can't digest how it's done , but I'll get it. Thanx , JR
I cut the stock handlebars in the straight section on both sides (heading up towards the grips) and added 7" of tubing there.

Here's a picture, sort of cluttered, but hopefully you can see they are the stock bars with some extra length.

Last edited by DK Custom; 01-20-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 AM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

JR - Have you been on two wheels for a relatively long time prior to the Trike? I will tell you that the Tri Glide (to me) felt VERY awkward at 1st after 40+ years on 2 wheels. Driving it home (about a 60 mile ride) was truly a white knuckle ride! The reason being is that if one is used to counter-steering, the 3 wheeler is a whole new experience and you really have to be careful not to countersteer yourself into a mess. (Sidecars are yet another entirely different experience!)

I made the decision not to make any ergonomic mods to the TG for a period of time to make sure that I'd adapted properly. I didn't want to make mods to compensate for something that would resolve itself with some miles! As it turned out, I'm pretty happy with the feel of the thing other than the saggy back end, which was resolved with the lift kit.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:23 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by ZD
JR - Have you been on two wheels for a relatively long time prior to the Trike? I will tell you that the Tri Glide (to me) felt VERY awkward at 1st after 40+ years on 2 wheels. Driving it home (about a 60 mile ride) was truly a white knuckle ride! The reason being is that if one is used to counter-steering, the 3 wheeler is a whole new experience and you really have to be careful not to countersteer yourself into a mess. (Sidecars are yet another entirely different experience!)

I made the decision not to make any ergonomic mods to the TG for a period of time to make sure that I'd adapted properly. I didn't want to make mods to compensate for something that would resolve itself with some miles! As it turned out, I'm pretty happy with the feel of the thing other than the saggy back end, which was resolved with the lift kit.
Great advice.

Besides lifting the saggy rear...the Comfort Lift Kit will make for a smoother ride, and Comfort Lift or Standard Lift will also reduce steering effort.

Details HERE.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:15 PM
JRs13TRIGLD
Advanced
Default Handling tri gld

Originally Posted by ZD

Been on two wheels all my life. Got 40 yrs on off from racing,ridin ( lil break raising kids). That good advice, no mods till I get some miles. Just need riden time so to make good decision