Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trailer to haul trike what do you pull trailer with

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:21 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Msocko that is a very nice trailer!

Msocko that is a very nice trailer!
is the vee nose the best idea. Seems if all you are hauling is one trike the vee nose would be great. I have never had one but am going shopping for something for the trike...appreciate the advice and expirences on here.
Double Axel V-Nose 10x7 ? is what I'm thinking?
Hap

Old 02-04-2014, 06:31 AM
shotgun462
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can only speak for myself on the subject of trailering. I have a spinal cord injury which only allows me to ride 4-6 hrs. at a time. If I were to ride to Sturgis for example, It would take close to a week to get there. I would then spend the time recovering from the ride. Then do it all over again going home. I would miss the rally and some great rides through the black hills. There are many folks that have physical limitations due to just wearing out joints or other problems. I for one don't plan on not riding as long as I can, even if it calls for trailering the trike from time to time. My better half and I ride for our enjoyment, not for any ones approval.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

hapbob,
I found out length don't hurt you to bad in the actual towing. Once you cut the wind the extra just follows. Extra 2' don't add much weight. My 16' V nose pulls a lot easier than the 14' flat nose I borrowed two years ago. It was like pulling a parachute. Now finding a place to park it or store it the 2' is a problem. I am hauling a trike and a bike or two behind that. So I needed the 16' but if it was just one trike I think you are right in line. Maybe a 7 X 12 if you ever plan to camp in it too. A little extra length allows you to position the trike over the axles for the optimum trailer tongue weight too. I don't have much room length wise and am a little more nose heavy than I would like but nothing I can do about it except load all extra gear in the back.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:23 PM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ZD
I never quite captured the concept behind putting a motorcycle on a trailer. Why not just drive the motorcycle!?
.....I agree...ride the t/g period..

Old 02-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZD
I never quite captured the concept behind putting a motorcycle on a trailer. Why not just drive the motorcycle!?
Originally Posted by joe momma
.....I agree...ride the t/g period..

Trailer to haul trike what do you pull trailer with-oh-no...-not-this-shit-again.jpg

Rax

Old 02-07-2014, 06:09 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hapbob
Msocko that is a very nice trailer!
is the vee nose the best idea. Seems if all you are hauling is one trike the vee nose would be great. I have never had one but am going shopping for something for the trike...appreciate the advice and expirences on here.
Double Axel V-Nose 10x7 ? is what I'm thinking?
Hap
I think between the v nose and it being barley six foot tall they both help with mileage, especially when bucking head winds. I'd get the 12x7 just because you never know what you might haul, you may figure you'll always have a Triglide but then you could change you mind and go either a kitted Ultra or a Goldwing. I wouldn't have hauled my 2012 Hannigan wing with a 10x7 without the trailer hitch hitting the rear door, the picture doesn't do justice to how close it is to the back of the trailer.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:31 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Default MSocko

Msocko
Still a nice set up you have...is trike tied down like a normal cycle ( forks compressed) or just how does it not roll at all? Looks like if yours rolls back a bit it would be on the down hill of your ramp?
Hap

Old 02-10-2014, 06:33 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hapbob
Msocko
Still a nice set up you have...is trike tied down like a normal cycle ( forks compressed) or just how does it not roll at all? Looks like if yours rolls back a bit it would be on the down hill of your ramp?
Hap
We have E track on the floor, I put ties around the bottom triple tree and pull it into the Pingle chock compressing the forks slightly, then put straps on the rear rims and also have them pulling forward, this is with the Wing. On the Triglide I will use the bottom triple tree if I can get a strap around it, if not I go low on the engine guard. On the back HD has provides a hook on each side of the rear axle for tying down, the hooks look like chain links.

Your right, if my Wing was to roll back it would be on the down hill of the ramp, the Wing with a Hannigan kit is quite long.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:28 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Default 6 x 10

A 6 x 10 wedgenose trailer is minimum?

Im only using to haul to dealer if needed.

I thought I read someone had q 5.5 x 10 ?
will a trike fit in that?

I also have small pickup now with 4 banger motor
going to upgrade that sooner or later...
So smaller the trailer the better I'm assuming.

Thanks for the inputs you guys have some nice riggs out there.
Hap

Old 02-21-2014, 04:27 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

You just changed the game. IF all you want is a trailer to "haul to dealer if needed" I'd save about $600 and 500 pounds and buy an open, flat bed 6X10 with a very long ramp. If you are going on LONG trips pulling the trike, then an enclosed might be better. Remember, if you were riding the trike it would get dirty and wet. They were made to get dirty and wet. If all you are going to use it for is 'if needed' damn anything will do.

Quick Reply: Trailer to haul trike what do you pull trailer with