Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

ThunderMax & the Tri Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:37 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ThunderMax & the Tri Glide?

Considering the probability on not getting a TG on a dyno, has anyone thought about using the ThunderMax by Zippers? I've never tried one but to my understanding, it's a replacement for your ECU including wide band O2 sensors. You load a base map that's as close to your configuration as you can get & ride. It basically adjusts itself. After about 500 miles, you save & re-load the map it's made back as the base map & it fine tunes that again. I've heard that earlier models had some software glitches that kept some ECU functions like 6th gear light from working but I think that's fixed now. The cost is in the $700~$800 range but that's not much more than a PC-V, TTS, SEPST, etc and a good dyno tune.
FuelMoto sells them so you know the support would be good.
That's all I've heard about it so ?????
Possibly not available for 2009 & 2010 yet?

link
http://www.zippersperformance.com/ca...=588&prod=1415

added another link I just found
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/fuel-...ct-review.html
GPM

Last edited by grandpawmoses; 03-04-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:46 AM
hdskier
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile tmax

Can't help you with the triglige question but I do have a tmax on an 07 FLHTC. Got it via ebay bid 625. It is an increible tool and enables to to change everthing including the ability to alter front and read cylinders seperately. Question is, do you uinderstand engines well enough to go beyond a zipper guesstimated load. I run 2 degrees more advanced in cold weather or more correctly I retard two degrees in the heart of summer. I live in Virginia. One issue I believe I am starting to feel is a discync to the throttle position sensor. Starting to get more and more pre-ignition. May just drive up to zippoer for some dyno time. I love the tmax, but there are other ignitions on the market now which are close in capability. On two occasions in 15k miles, I have lost all guage displays while driving, If you stop and restart the bike everything comes back to normal. This is a known issue to Zippers and may be fixed in newer units. I am also interest in your trike performance as I am looking and trying to decide on the trike or a limited, ordered the limited but I am getting older (64) so is the wife.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

GPM

They just finished production of the TMax that will work on FBW throttles. They started taking orders to install them at this past week Bike Week.

Instead of exchanging the ECM why not look at the TTS. You can easily synchronize your VE tables with the VTune software, no dyno needed and it is half the price of the TMax. You will not loose your Anti-Knock protection or have to change your 02 sensors and cables out either.

If you want more info, let me know.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:48 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
GPM

They just finished production of the TMax that will work on FBW throttles. They started taking orders to install them at this past week Bike Week.

Instead of exchanging the ECM why not look at the TTS. You can easily synchronize your VE tables with the VTune software, no dyno needed and it is half the price of the TMax. You will not loose your Anti-Knock protection or have to change your 02 sensors and cables out either.

If you want more info, let me know.
I'm probably going with the TTS myself (want to get some more break in miles before I make the change). There's been some dissussion lately about fuel management systems & I had not heard anyone (at the trike forum) mention the TMax so I thought I would bring it up. Stir the pot.
When I do get the TTS, I'm probably going to pester you for your knowledge.
GPM

Last edited by grandpawmoses; 03-04-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:02 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am hearing the TTS is the ultimate if your tuner is competent with it, I understand you don't necessarily have to have a dyno but you will have to do several test runs in lieu of!

I am hoping the dyno M3 has found is into the TTS as this will be close to me also. Since Fuel Moto sells several of the above mentioned I would be tempted to PM Jamie about his preference or thoughts on each. He may not want to post on a forum what his preference is since he sells several different models but I would be interested to know what he tune's with. As mentioned above I feel he would give us a fair evaluation as some would be better if you have a dyno and the others may be good if a dyno tune is not available!

Old 03-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Not that I've checked, just read, FM doesn't sell the TTS anymore. No idea why.

Boom, the secret to the TTS doesn't rise or fall by finding a competent tuner. It helps but is it not as important as others may think. I know that sounded harsh Boom but I wanted to put that out there. Sorry

I don't sell or work for TTS but I also understand that I harp it's praises more than I should. I do have the TTS on two of my bikes, I own a SERT on another which is being upgraded to a TTS. I've used the SEST and TMax, Power Commander products as well. Maybe this give me a little more insight, don't know, but I know what I like and what works.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, it really isn't. I'm headed out the door for a few hours and got in a hurry.

Cheers

Old 03-04-2010, 09:35 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

Mr Wizard,
From your experience, whom might have the best pricing on the TTS & will the SEPST cable set work with it (or do you need to purchase the TTS $75 cable set)? Thanks

Old 03-04-2010, 10:36 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard

You will not loose your Anti-Knock protection
To me that's a big hitter right there. As heavy as a trike is knock protection is a must. Its way to easy to get a crummy tank of fuel or be in the wrong gear for the load and tempurature maybe not hear it rattle.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
Mr Wizard,
From your experience, whom might have the best pricing on the TTS & will the SEPST cable set work with it (or do you need to purchase the TTS $75 cable set)? Thanks
GPM

There are several sponsors here that sell the TTS at a better rate than list. Pm if you want to know who I deal through. I don't want to sound like I'm a shrill.

If you have cables for the SEST then the same cables will work with the TTS in most cases. TTS wants to make sure, if you use their product, there are no issues at hand using an inferior USB interface. This is why they sell their own and certainly understandable. The cable from the VCI to the bike is same, same.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by msocko3
To me that's a big hitter right there. As heavy as a trike is knock protection is a must. Its way to easy to get a crummy tank of fuel or be in the wrong gear for the load and tempurature maybe not hear it rattle.
+1 on that

Quick Reply: ThunderMax & the Tri Glide?