Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Issues-2014 Trikes And Newer Rushmore Trikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 07:49 AM
scuba1954
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to be a certified 3 wheel ATV riding instructor and have helped many with the problem that your having with turns. Forget about counter steering your trike around corners. The secret to turns is a two step process but simple. If you want to turn left you want to do what I call push and pull. You pull on the left hand grip while pushing harder on the right hand grip. When you get it correct the trike feels like a go cart tracking through the corner.
If you hold a broom handle in your hands a pretend it's your trike try turning left only pulling on the left side what happens is you loose the grip on the right side and this causes you balance to shift in a bad direction and you end up going wide in the corner. Using push/pull also causes your body to shift automatically in the right direction. Hope this helps, I know it has helped many others not to be afraid of the corners.

The following users liked this post:
fishnpo (02-25-2017)
Old 04-20-2015, 08:07 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I don't get it. Why is so hard to figure out how to turn a trike??? Maybe I'm exceptional (doubt it) but the second I got on a trike, it was second nature on turning. Maybe it was years of riding a bicycle, ATV, snow mobile etc. (you never forget how to ride a bike - right?).

Now putting your feet down is another matter intirely. But that only took a couple of days to get use to.

I just put my TG in for service and they gave me a Street Guide as a loaner - no problems adjusting to that at all........but fun leaning again though. I already miss my TG - it's a lot more comfortable then this Street Guide.

Also forgot how bad my hips are - tough raising/lowering my feet.

Just take your time - don't rush it - you got the rest of your life.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:17 AM
Packers-FLSTC
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Rich,
We got a 2014 Tri-Glide last year and have about 2900 miles on it so far. I would suggest you remember the basics of turning on a 2 wheel bike, and keep your eyes looking the way you want to turn. The brain is not good at multi-tasking. If you look straight it will want you to go straight, look right, it will want to go right, etc. And I agree, a Church or school parking lot is a great place to practice. I also find that turn practice is one of the few positive aspects of having Round-abouts in town [I prefer to call them Circle-Jerks.]

Old 04-20-2015, 11:37 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Packers-FLSTC
Hi Rich,
We got a 2014 Tri-Glide last year and have about 2900 miles on it so far. I would suggest you remember the basics of turning on a 2 wheel bike, and keep your eyes looking the way you want to turn. The brain is not good at multi-tasking. If you look straight it will want you to go straight, look right, it will want to go right, etc. And I agree, a Church or school parking lot is a great place to practice. I also find that turn practice is one of the few positive aspects of having Round-abouts in town [I prefer to call them Circle-Jerks.]

I agree fully about looking where you want to go. I didn't believe it at first, but boy it really works.

I got chased out of a parking lot many years ago while trying to teach a friend how to ride. Cop told me it was a liability problem.

On another topic,

As I said earlier, I just brought my TG in for service. Dealer called me yesterday and said my rear pads and rotors need replacing. Thankfully the rotors are covered under warranty.

My question is how long should rotors last?

I am a front brake kind of guy which means I rarely use my rear brakes.

Dealer said he had a TG that he even had to replace rotors at only 8K miles.
10K seems ridiculously short. That's an expensive yearly cost.

Saturday I also had the brakes replaced on my car that had 64K miles. Why can't Harley design a bike that can use an automotive rotor?
Also they told me it would take 5 days to get them in. Thankfully I get a free loaner on all scheduled service appointments.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:00 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Unhappy rotors turned

I know my trike is not 2014 (09) but my dealer helped me out and turned mine as long as they were with in tolerance which they were. Still not sure they will last long seem very soft poor metal in my book. 14,784 miles pads and rotors poor shape. Ride safely fearless

Old 05-05-2015, 08:19 PM
Kenny G
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission leaks

Any one else have tranny problems? Pulled My stick the other day and it was dry. Added 13 oz of oil. Could not see the the leak do to chroming out the motor but did find a lot of oil under the tranny. 7300 miles. Check every 1500 miles.

New arrival Road Zeppelin Seat used one week. Will no longer inflate. Ordered a new one. Not a good way to start the new season.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:49 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny G
Any one else have tranny problems? Pulled My stick the other day and it was dry. Added 13 oz of oil. Could not see the the leak do to chroming out the motor but did find a lot of oil under the tranny. 7300 miles. Check every 1500 miles.

New arrival Road Zeppelin Seat used one week. Will no longer inflate. Ordered a new one. Not a good way to start the new season.

You may find the bolts for the cover where the dip stick goes into loose, its been a known problem on previous MY's..

Old 05-13-2015, 09:22 PM
Bob H.
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have the seat for the 14 and up Tri Glide ? As for the tranny oil it was a little less than half you added, was your engine oil now over filled ?

Old 11-29-2015, 05:15 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Great little item

Originally Posted by mwessel
Piney,

These worked very well for me.
https://www.denniskirk.com/495224.sku

You may also then want to extend your forward shift peg out with this.
https://www.denniskirk.com/497703.sku
Glad I was reading this thread. I just bought the shifter peg extender. Found it new on the bay for $42 w/free shipping.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:25 PM
shoalsgary
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
I don't get it. Why is so hard to figure out how to turn a trike??? Maybe I'm exceptional (doubt it) but the second I got on a trike, it was second nature on turning. Maybe it was years of riding a bicycle, ATV, snow mobile etc. (you never forget how to ride a bike - right?).

Now putting your feet down is another matter intirely. But that only took a couple of days to get use to.

I just put my TG in for service and they gave me a Street Guide as a loaner - no problems adjusting to that at all........but fun leaning again though. I already miss my TG - it's a lot more comfortable then this Street Guide.

Also forgot how bad my hips are - tough raising/lowering my feet.

Just take your time - don't rush it - you got the rest of your life.
It's just harder, that's all. Epecially coming from a Spyder!

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Issues-2014 Trikes And Newer Rushmore Trikes