Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Ongoing '14 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics, & thoughts on the differences

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:03 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts
Default Ongoing '14 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics, & thoughts on the differences

Just picked up a new 2014 Tri-Glide this afternoon.

Big Blue Pear/Vivid Black
Bone Stock

Got 70 miles in riding it home in the rain, dodging thunderstorms.

I will be posting pics of the mods I do to this bike over the next month or so.

Will also post my observations of the differences between it and earlier models.

Here it is, ready to roll out the door-

Rolled it out and the clouds opened up for about 10 minutes of heavy rain. Soon after it subsided, the dealership took their obligatory picture, and I was on my way.

Took a bit of a long route to the shop, then on home. Got in about 70 miles. Mostly wet roads, some sun, some light rain, and one heavy downpour.

During break-in I'm keeping my wrist out of the throttle and keeping the RPM's below 3000, so it is difficult to gauge the power difference. However, there definitely seems to be more torque from 2500 - 3000 RPM, even with light throttle.

I did hit some sweepers at 55-65 mph, and the front end definitely is more sturdy.

I don't like the linked brakes...may get used to them, time will tell.

The seat is more comfortable for me.

That big screen in the fairing is still a mystery to me...guess I need to learn it.

When I got to the shop I plugged a Power Vision into the diagnostic port to see what the engine temp reading was. 214 degrees. Much lower than it would have been for a pre-14, given the same conditions.

With the vent open in the fairing there was a definite reduction in buffeting. (I wear a Nolan Modular and am 5' 11")

That's it for now. Will be posting my initial list of mods later tonight or tomorrow. I will be posting pics along the way, as I add them on.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Interesting, I'll be following this

Old 05-30-2014, 09:21 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Ride it in good health.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:41 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

You going North on this one also? Enjoyed your posts on the last one.Had a 13 Tri Glide I traded my 010 Ultra Classic with intentions of mama learning to ride.Well that never panned out,I believe she doesn't have the confidence to ride her own even being a Trike.Long story short kept it 2mos Fuel Moto 2-1-2 ceramic headpipe 4in Jackpot and PV, and a ton more $$,but it wasn't me and traded in on a 14 Ultra,with mama still lovin that passenger seat.I'm sure you'll enjoy the 14 Tri Glide,whats not to love.lol

Old 05-30-2014, 11:35 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your new ride, Kevin! Looking forward to your future reports as I believe you will be giving the 14 rave reviews in comparison to your old trike. One thing I do know is that the more miles you get on it the better you will like it. The improvements really are quite impressive.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:45 AM
ELVISTO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks fantastic Kevin, love the colour,

I hope you both have loads of smiles on your new TG.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:50 AM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Kevin , it is Identical to mine and I will be following your progress. With intense curiousity ! Ebert

Old 05-31-2014, 12:37 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Casper
Interesting, I'll be following this
Originally Posted by screwball
Ride it in good health.
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by mikeman54
You going North on this one also? Enjoyed your posts on the last one.Had a 13 Tri Glide I traded my 010 Ultra Classic with intentions of mama learning to ride.Well that never panned out,I believe she doesn't have the confidence to ride her own even being a Trike.Long story short kept it 2mos Fuel Moto 2-1-2 ceramic headpipe 4in Jackpot and PV, and a ton more $$,but it wasn't me and traded in on a 14 Ultra,with mama still lovin that passenger seat.I'm sure you'll enjoy the 14 Tri Glide,whats not to love.lol
Not going up to Alaska this year. We are planning on going up to the Northeast US in the fall, maybe into Canada a bit.

My wife is the same. She has zero interest in riding 2 wheels, but likes being a passenger on 2 wheels or 3. She has piloted the Tri-Glide in a few big parking lots, but does not have any interest in anything but the passenger seat.

Originally Posted by TwinCooled
Congrats on your new ride, Kevin! Looking forward to your future reports as I believe you will be giving the 14 rave reviews in comparison to your old trike. One thing I do know is that the more miles you get on it the better you will like it. The improvements really are quite impressive.
Yes, I hope to be very impressed! Going out today in the unexpected good weather to get some break-in miles done.

Originally Posted by ELVISTO
It looks fantastic Kevin, love the colour,

I hope you both have loads of smiles on your new TG.
Thanks, I did not think I would like the color as much as I do, now that I've seen it in the sunlight! We're looking forward to making a lot of memories on it!

Originally Posted by coronetracer65
Thanks Kevin , it is Identical to mine and I will be following your progress. With intense curiousity ! Ebert
Cool! Initial list is coming, then out for some break-in miles.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:33 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Most of my initial plans are to replicate what I had on my 2011 TG. Since we had that set up for being comfortable all day long, weeks on end, that is the first priority.
  1. Lowering the passenger boards to the lowest mounting point and installing the Kury adjustable passenger pegs for Mary.
  2. Engine guard mounted highway pegs...still deciding Chrome or Black, and whether to use the 3 piece or 2 piece clamps. Will definitely be using the heel rest.
  3. Install the bumper off the 11 TG
  4. Install the Wards FCS cooling system. It may not "need" it, but the cooler an engine runs, the stronger and longer it will run.
  5. Change out the "prone to fail" shift linkage to one with heim joints.
  6. Either find someone that makes floorboard extensions, or make some up.
  7. On the air cleaner will be using the 636v or the 587, going to see how both look and go from there. The 636v with the shorty filter performs almost exactly the same as the 587. There is no room for the 636v with the standard filter.
  8. Will be using the Premium Discrete Head Breather System
  9. Will be covering up the TBW module with a cover...we'll have these on our website for sale soon.
  10. I know I should quit smoking, but until I do, I need to get a cig lighter since the 14's don't come with one. There is a power point in the fairing, but I was told that if you put a lighter in there the wires are not heavy enough for the load...has anyone else tried this?
  11. Relocate the TP back a couple of inches...I know they are adjustable, but I may need to drill a couple of holes to get it back as far as Mary would like.
  12. Install a TP rack.
  13. Install my backrest from the 11.
  14. Install a power point in the TP for charging phones, camera batteries etc. while riding.
  15. Safety tether in TP, I don't trust the retractable alone.
  16. Power Vision with basic auto tune.
  17. Have not decided on what slip-ons, nor have I decided if I'm going to gut the cat on the stock headers, or get the Fuel Moto headers.
  18. I custom made some handlebars for the 2011, but they will not fit the 2014, so will be making another set of bars for the 2014. Already looked, and there's no one making bars that put the grips where they're most comfortable for me. Once that is done I will be hanging the drink holder, Power Vision, video camera mount off there. Also, will be replacing stock grips with ISO grips.
  19. Since the fairing is a bit different, my summer and winter recurve windshields will not fit. Will wait and see if the stock windshield does the trick, or if I/Mary will want a recurve.
  20. When I get back from the break-in miles this afternoon I will be washing it and using the Glare Polish. I used that a few weeks ago on the Heritage and was very impressed.
  21. Tomorrow the rear wheels are coming off and getting clear coated (no more stains) and the Comfort Lift Kit is being installed.
  22. It will be a few months before we need any heated gear, so I will be waiting to install the wires for that.
  23. I am pretty obsessed with keeping engine and oil temps low, so time will tell if I need to find a place to install an oil cooler.
  24. Tank Lift with Deluxe Option
  25. High Performance Cleanable Oil Filter
  26. 3M protective film on fenders and sidecovers

That is all I can think of right now. Will be documenting the changes with pics in this thread as I make them.

Off to ride now!

Last edited by DK Custom; 06-01-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Added a few things I had forgotten to put on the list
Old 05-31-2014, 07:56 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Sounds like a good plan...but if you install the heated gear wires now, you won't need them for a long time, don't and it'll turn cold early...like no rain gear, RAIN! Pack it, no rain.

Quick Reply: Ongoing '14 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics, & thoughts on the differences