Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Progressive shock

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 02:48 PM
frang413
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive shock

I was thinking of changing my shocks on my 2011 ride. I was going to go with the progressive 416-1643A's but after downloading the install instructions I saw where it said they do not recommend them on a tri-glide with the lift kits installed. Has anyone installed these with a lift kit and if so was there any problems with them?

Old 06-25-2014, 06:55 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by frang413
I was thinking of changing my shocks on my 2011 ride. I was going to go with the progressive 416-1643A's but after downloading the install instructions I saw where it said they do not recommend them on a tri-glide with the lift kits installed. Has anyone installed these with a lift kit and if so was there any problems with them?
I have installed with lift kit from Dennis (Tglidestuff) and no problems. We have about 2k miles so far and simply love them. We ride with about 30 psi two up. Highly recommend them. Not sure why they did not support. Probably because they have tested with stock setup only.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:43 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain

I was looking through my instructions, and did not find the statement that they were not recommended with Lift Kit. I believe you but in what section did it state that?

Old 06-26-2014, 08:20 AM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default progressive shocks

What do you find is the biggest difference with the progressive shocks. I think the Harley shocks are are to harsh even with low pressure it seems like they don't ABSORB the bumps they bounce you over them and keep you from bottoming out.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain

Originally Posted by scooty
What do you find is the biggest difference with the progressive shocks. I think the Harley shocks are are to harsh even with low pressure it seems like they don't ABSORB the bumps they bounce you over them and keep you from bottoming out.
We find them most responsive over multiple bumps consecutive progression. The progressive shocks are multi stage and help the rebound recovery. The stock single stage shock does not handle the second bump as well and you get the bottom out feeling or actual bottom out.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:49 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain

Originally Posted by frang413
This is what I found in the instructions:
Warning! The use of lowering blocks is not recommended

and will void warranty. Also, using a shorter length shock

absorber is not recommended because of decreased tire-to-

fender clearance, decreased ground clearance and the al-

teration of the motorcycle.s geometry.

The lift kit by Dennis (tglidestuff) does just the opposite. Any way you should be good to go, I have no issues.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:19 AM
frang413
Advanced

I goggled in install progressive 416-1643A shocks on tri glide and went to a progressive webpage that came up. It is the install instruction PDF file. This is what it said in a notice at the top.

The use of lowering or lifting blocks on progressive suspension shocks is not recommended. The use of lowering or lifting kit may void the warranty or damage the shock/ motorcycle.

Anyway if your using them with out a problem I may do it too.

Last edited by frang413; 06-26-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 06-26-2014, 12:28 PM
frang413
Advanced

This is the link to the website where I got the info from.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com...structions.pdf

Old 06-26-2014, 01:19 PM
DiselDevilDog
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Fusion, I have a pair of Progressives on my 09 Triglide......How much air do you run riding two up? If you don't mind me asking, what is the total weight two up? I'm at 250 and the wife is 135?
thanks,
Diesel

Old 06-26-2014, 07:31 PM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DiselDevilDog
Hey Fusion, I have a pair of Progressives on my 09 Triglide......How much air do you run riding two up? If you don't mind me asking, what is the total weight two up? I'm at 250 and the wife is 135?
thanks,
Diesel
Always add to your weight and subtract from the wife. Just in case she is looking over shoulder.
Dennis

Quick Reply: Progressive shock