Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Questions for you trike owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:52 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Questions for you trike owners

I am getting to the age where I see a trike in my future. I have been riding for 45 years and have never even sat on a trike. I realize that they are a completely different animal so need some input on the handling. What are they like in curves. I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains and almost all of my riding is on mountain roads. I am sure I can adjust to it but any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:08 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

My wife got to the point where she just couldn't handle two wheels and got a 2012 Tri 3 years ago. She has over 25,000 on it including a trip down Blue Ridge Parkway, Dragon, Moonshine 28, etc. Arkansas Pig Trail and other twisties in North West Ark. We live in the Rocky Mountains so we do the Million Dollar Highway 2 or 3 times a year, Silver Thread, Pikes Peak, Independence Pass, Coronado Trail, etc.

She has no trouble keeping up with 2 wheelers in the curves, and she is enjoying riding much more without the fear of dropping the bike in a parking lot.

Bill

Old 09-01-2014, 08:36 AM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As Bill said, it is easy once to get used to the differences between 2 and 3 wheel steering. Give it about 1k miles and it becomes second nature.

I traded from a '12 Trike to a new '14 Trike and noticed the differences between these two models. The handle bars are higher and wider, making the steering even easier.

Go to your dealer and test ride a new one.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:24 AM
fmgsr
Road Master
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Thumbs up

yeah, what they said +1,
just got mine, and loving it

Old 09-01-2014, 10:25 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

The wife went from 2 wheels to a Frankenstein trike I converted her bike to. Last week we bought a TriGlide. It's second nature to her. I ride my ElectraGlide, always , and jumping over to the trike from time to time makes me have to think about it. You'll get a little upper body soreness for a little while until you figure out how to muscle it around. I've been riding since 1969, so motorcycles have always been in my life. Before you jump into a TriGlide, you may just want to do a aftermarket conversion to see if you like it.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:59 AM
CaCruizin
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought aTri-glide because I lost a left leg in a bike accident. I found it a bit strange to steer at first and a bit painful on my wrists until I started pulling as well as pushing to turn corners. I have to put a lot of effort into the steering if going round corners fast and I can go faster in the twistys than my two wheel riding buddies. For me it was a no brainer if I wanted to ride again and as all my friends rode Harleys it was the only one to buy and I am very happy with my new ride. The lift kit is well worth it and makes the trike steer quicker with less input needed.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:54 AM
side by side
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trike

I purchased my first trike a few weeks ago, at age 53(in a few more days 54) I really love the trike, at first I wasn't sure, the more I use it, the more I'm feeling comfortable using it. I have 200 miles on it, and not one complaint.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:35 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bought my 14 TG about 3 months ago and have 6500 miles on it , took me about 1 1/2 months to decide , just planning for the future , took one for a test ride and did not like them at all but did a lot of reading on here and decided to do it and have never looked back , very happy and as said can keep up with my 2 wheeled buddy's or out do them in the twistys , so if you are thinking about it all I can say is do it , you won't be sorry

Old 09-01-2014, 01:40 PM
guitar
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 67 so I guess we've been riding off and on 51 years. We went to a trike a year ago. We have put about 4500 on it all pretty much local. We don't ride far but almost every day the weather is decent. (Yes we are fair weather riders) Can't tell you about keeping up in the twisties since we are seldom in a hurry. But can tell you we love it. It will take you a little while to get used to the steering and not trying to lean. Several have all ready given good advice to test ride one but realize it is a big change and it is really going to feel different for awhile. Good luck what ever your decision.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:06 PM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

I purchased a used 2010 6 months ago, with the idea if I liked it, I would get a new one. Well I like this one soooooomuch I can't see a new one in my future. I'm 68 years old and just started riding again, I had a deluxe and a sportster before the tri-glide....I've put on over 6K miles on it, aggressive miles I might add, lowered the pressure to 20 lbs in the rear, and on a ride today that was 94 degrees, it was like a glued snake on the curves. I love it!!

Quick Reply: Questions for you trike owners