Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Fender Covers

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 05:25 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Fender Covers

Got a quote from a dealer on a 2015 and they run you through all the dealer installed options available. One that sounded good was the 3M kit which is a clear film applied to the fenders and elsewhere to protect against stone chips. Then I talked to a customer who happened to be there and he showed me his Trike with the 3M kit. It had several small air bubbles that to me looked almost as bad as chips. What are you guys doing to protect your fenders from chips or is it even necessary?

Old 09-21-2014, 06:51 AM
Triker 2
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 3m kit from HD. I put it on myself and there are no air bubbles. You have to be sure to keep the 3m and your fingers soaked with water/baby shampoo solution and squeegee from the middle outward and continue until any bubbles are gone. It's not hard to do, just finicky.
I would highly recommend this coating, otherwise in no time the paint will be all dinged up with rock chips.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:53 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

If you are comfortable doing it yourself this is what I used. You can buy it by the foot and cut it to what you want. It does take some practice to get it right. That said bought enough to do he fenders did not do the front faring and it cost me around $50. Had enough to put some on our trailer, the tour pack where the seats rubs and the side covers. Plus have enough it want to do the fenders again. They do need to be protected with something get dinged up pretty easy.
http://www.invisiblemask.com/bulkfilm.htm

Old 09-21-2014, 11:19 AM
Harley Don
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fender Covers

Originally Posted by KJB
Got a quote from a dealer on a 2015 and they run you through all the dealer installed options available. One that sounded good was the 3M kit which is a clear film applied to the fenders and elsewhere to protect against stone chips. Then I talked to a customer who happened to be there and he showed me his Trike with the 3M kit. It had several small air bubbles that to me looked almost as bad as chips. What are you guys doing to protect your fenders from chips or is it even necessary?
I had a professional install the new material that will remove boot scuff marks when you add warm water. Works great as the wife has a tendency to put scuff marks on fender when getting on and off. Plus the benefit of protection from rock chips.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:02 PM
TrapshooterBob
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.xpel.com/ is working on a kit to do fenders and batwing ... due out soon. Lamin-x is another brand. Cut yourself and put on fenders if you must cover that beautiful paint. My wife has hip issues and does not scuff ours!! LOL

Old 09-22-2014, 10:30 AM
M&LG
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out these. They are much the same as the 3M product and easy to do yourself.
Just keep the product and your fingers soaked with the solution and use the squeegee from the centre towards the outside to get rid of air bubbles. I have the kit on the fenders of my Triglide.

http://www.seethroughbraz.com