Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Fender protection

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Raxus
Casper any idea on the cost of the Xpel?

Rax
He quoted me 250.00 for both fenders and both areas next to fenders under the mini saddlebags. May have him do the area under the passenger backrest on the trunk.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:04 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks!

Rax

Old 10-15-2014, 06:47 PM
fmgsr
Road Master
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Say down the road the film, expel or 3m, gets cloudy, just what is it like to take it off ?

Old 10-16-2014, 07:33 PM
TrapshooterBob
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Found my first big fender nick today. $38 for touch up paint (base and top color). I think there is GOLD in it somewhere!

I may purchase some sheets and do it myself. I've done window film .... and I used to install vinyl roofs in the early 70s.

Bob

Old 10-16-2014, 09:30 PM
FLRT
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know what the factory Harley kit is made from? 3M? Other?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...rd-kit---trike

Old 10-17-2014, 12:22 AM
Triker 2
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLRT
Anyone know what the factory Harley kit is made from? 3M? Other?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...rd-kit---trike
I installed the kit on my TG and there was nothing on any of the pieces etc. referencing to a brand.

Just a tip for anyone installing the film. If you are buying the HD kit, make a pattern of the original precut pieces. You can always buy the 3m off of a roll from a body shop supplier for the next time you want to install the film. Way cheaper if you can cut your own pieces.
Having the pattern(s) is 90% of the challenge, 10% is for the actual install.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:25 AM
Triker 2
Advanced

Originally Posted by fmgsr
Say down the road the film, expel or 3m, gets cloudy, just what is it like to take it off ?
I have had the film on my GW Trike for over 8 years now and it still looks great.

I have heard that a very warm day, park your trike out in the sun and use a blow dryer to heat up the film and it just peels off easily.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:29 AM
Triker 2
Advanced

Originally Posted by TrapshooterBob
Found my first big fender nick today. $38 for touch up paint (base and top color). I think there is GOLD in it somewhere!

I may purchase some sheets and do it myself. I've done window film .... and I used to install vinyl roofs in the early 70s.

Bob
$56 here in Canada and that was just for the hot white pearl. The Hot blue pearl is on order.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:30 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by Triker 2
I installed the kit on my TG and there was nothing on any of the pieces etc. referencing to a brand.

Just a tip for anyone installing the film. If you are buying the HD kit, make a pattern of the original precut pieces. You can always buy the 3m off of a roll from a body shop supplier for the next time you want to install the film. Way cheaper if you can cut your own pieces.
Having the pattern(s) is 90% of the challenge, 10% is for the actual install.
One of the big problems with the HD kit is the fact it only covers a part of the fenders leaving leading surfaces unprotected. Like over the outside edge, top & front of the fender. Nothing for the tank, or the fairing or front fender.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:32 AM
Triker 2
Advanced

Originally Posted by dwoodlives
Somehow this seems a little silly to me. It reminds me of the days when you buy a new car and proceed to buy protective seat covers. The only person that ever benefitted from this is the second owner that removed the covers and had brand new looking seats!

[DISCLAIMER: I use to cover my car seats <grin>]

The fenders on my Trike seem to be pretty durable. They look great and I'm not going to get all **** about 'protecting' them. If they pick up a few dings . . . so be it.
IMO, the trikes should not even leave the showroom without some type of 3m film on the fenders. I have seen trikes without the fenders done and the dozens of little rock chips look gawd awful.

Quick Reply: Fender protection