Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2nd Trike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 11:54 AM
brerrabbit
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2nd Trike?

I am wondering how many of us have a trike for both husband and wife. We are retired and have a 2014 TriGlide.We are considering getting a second trike so she can have her own. She has a problem working the clutch on the TG so we are considering a Can-Am Spyder with the semi-auto transmission. Anyone have any helpful thoughts on this idea or other options.

=bob=

Old 10-19-2014, 12:09 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

I would do another tri as opposed to spyder. Just don't like the seating position on the spyder. Don't rember the company but there is someone that makes a push button shift for bikes. The only time you need your clutch is at a stop. Saw the at Sturgis, the were pretty cool.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:10 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

We had a 2012 Spyder, it was in the shop for problems more than we rode it, and very expensive to maintain unless you can figure out the dismantling of the Tupperware to do the simplest thing.
My wife is the same way with clutch, shifting, ext. So she just wants to ride unless we could find a Ridley, and I figure out how to work on it if needed. Ridley went out of business in 2009. Economy and Patent infringement court case with HD put them in bankruptcy even though they did win the case.
http://www.ridleymotorcycle.com/0eight/Ridley_8B.htm
They really made some sweet trikes though.
My favorite:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0

Old 10-19-2014, 04:27 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The first trike in the family was wife's '09. Bad case of cancer left her with little or no feelings in her hands and feet, so her Deluxe went away and we got her the trike. She also had problems pulling or holding the clutch in. GREAT mechanic at A.V. Harley suggested we replace the clutch spring with the one used on the 96cid engine. They did it freebie. Made all the difference in the world. We bought her a new Tri-Glide in 2011 and did the same thing with the clutch spring. This time I paid for it, $34 for the part. The lighter spring in her '09 worked great for 54,000 miles when we traded it for our new 2015 Freewheeler. Couple of more years when her Tri goes out of warranty she MAY be interested in a Freewheeler.

Good Luck!

Oh, forgot to mention, wife is 63, outrides most of us, and is the best riding partner a person could ask for.

Last edited by screwball; 10-19-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:27 PM
brerrabbit
Advanced

Originally Posted by screwball
The first trike in the family was wife's '09. Bad case of cancer left her with little or no feelings in her hands and feet, so her Deluxe went away and we got her the trike. She also had problems pulling or holding the clutch in. GREAT mechanic at A.V. Harley suggested we replace the clutch spring with the one used on the 96cid engine. They did it freebie. Made all the difference in the world. We bought her a new Tri-Glide in 2011 and did the same thing with the clutch spring. This time I paid for it, $34 for the part. The lighter spring in her '09 worked great for 54,000 miles when we traded it for our new 2015 Freewheeler. Couple of more years when her Tri goes out of warranty she MAY be interested in a Freewheeler.

Good Luck!

Oh, forgot to mention, wife is 63, outrides most of us, and is the best riding partner a person could ask for.

Thanks for the info. I will see if the lighter spring will work on the '14. Now if we could figure out the correct settings on air shocks.

My wife is 69 and is the more dedicated rider of the two of us.

=bob=

Old 10-19-2014, 09:22 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by brerrabbit
Thanks for the info. I will see if the lighter spring will work on the '14. Now if we could figure out the correct settings on air shocks.

My wife is 69 and is the more dedicated rider of the two of us.

=bob=
There are also other answers for the clutch. Such as a reduced reach for the clutch lever by your hand. Another is the "Clutch Wiz" that fits models until the hydraulic clutch. It makes the clutch very easy to pull.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:07 AM
brerrabbit
Advanced

ClutchWiz web site says it will not work on 2014 TriGlide. I will see what I can find on the reduced reach lever as I think that could help.

=bob=

Old 10-20-2014, 12:18 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two Trikes here.
Check out the FreeWheeler, I thought the clutch pull was softer than the TG so did the wife.

Last edited by icebite1; 10-20-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brerrabbit
I am wondering how many of us have a trike for both husband and wife. We are retired and have a 2014 TriGlide.We are considering getting a second trike so she can have her own. She has a problem working the clutch on the TG so we are considering a Can-Am Spyder with the semi-auto transmission. Anyone have any helpful thoughts on this idea or other options.

=bob=
Bob I highly suggrest staying away from Can Am's. In my opinion their junk. Again..my opinion

As for a clutch solution. Maybe check out the Pingel Trannies. Know some disabled folks who have had great stuff to say about them.

http://www.pingelonline.com/electric...-2009-2014.asp

Rax

Old 10-20-2014, 08:35 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

If I wanted to continue working until I'm dead, a 2nd trike might be a possibility. As it is, I plan to retire, and there's gonna be barely enough to keep what I have!

Quick Reply: 2nd Trike?