Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Water in trunk, 2010

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 06:05 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Water in trunk, 2010

I know this subject has been beat to death. Yesterday, I went to put a bumper on the wife's trike. Seems like a easy project right? Nope. Read the instructions, looked in the shop manual, opened the trunk and water was standing in the trunk. Pissed off. We pulled the liner out and could see from rust spots on the liner the water was coming in from the bolts on the front top bolts.
This morning, I pulled the body off and there was not any kind of sealer on any of the bolts going in the trunk. The four on the bottom, the two forward, and the six for tour pack. No sealer of any kind. We cleaned everything, replaced the bolts, and used some of that spray sealer (looks like truck bed liner) to seal all the mounting areas, and all of the bolts after they were installed.
I actually got the bumper on.
The R&R of the body was easy. About 20 minutes to get it off, and the same to get it on, thanks to the shop manual.
I'm posting this because a lot of people are looking at their door seal for leaks. Look everywhere else, too.

Last edited by AlCherry; 10-19-2014 at 07:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cagmo (09-24-2016)
Old 10-21-2014, 08:20 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

I noticed that nothing was really sealed well when I made a bracket to move the tour pack back a little over an inch, so when I put the bolts back on, I used some plumbers caulk around the openings where they went through. But not the bottom bolts, didn't need to take them off for anything, and well, they are on the bottom. Isn't there an electrical pass-through, too?

Anyway, that was before a 3 week trip out west, on which we hit three gullywashers, a full monsoon and several days of drizzle (which was still much better than the dust storm at 114 degrees in the desert.) Didn't leak a single drop.

That's the good news. Now it's sealed so well that if you listen real close when you shut the trunk door fast, you can hear the excess air trapped inside hissing out around the bottom bolts right afterwards; and sometimes the latch doesn't latch fully because of the pressure! It's tight!

Someone said don't slam it, close it until the seal makes, and then gently push until the latch engages. No more falling open on bad bumps; well, except when we forget. I'm half tempted to drill a hole in the bottom somewhere not likely to get sprayed much and stuff it with poly foam or something.