Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Freewheeler for wife?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 03:00 PM
JRCinNH
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freewheeler for wife?

I have two bikes now, a Fat Bob for riding alone and Limited for riding with the wife. My wife has always wanted to get her own bike but has issues mastering the operation. She had scooter and took motorcycle training classes but never really felt confident.

So my latest crazy idea is trade the Limited for a Freewheeler, that she will drive. The Triglide is too big and scary for her, but she loves the look of a Freewheeler. Any opinions?

She never took the test so she can't test drive it. So I'm a little lost on how to get her on one. I guess I could test one with her on the back. Eventually she's going to have to pass the test. Funny in NH there is an inclusive bike test and a 3 wheel only test.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:10 PM
matthewthamm
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCinNH
So my latest crazy idea is trade the Limited for a Freewheeler, that she will drive. The Triglide is too big and scary for her, but she loves the look of a Freewheeler. Any opinions?
Run, don't walk to the dealer. If she is riding, so are you! That is my wife's next scoot.
Also Happy Wife, Happy Life!

Old 10-23-2014, 04:10 PM
TrapshooterBob
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

She will love it! We love NH. We had a blast last year at Laconia bike week. Your roads are "mostly" awesome.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

If you can get a freewheeler for your wife, I'd say that's a good trade. hahaha

Old 10-23-2014, 06:10 PM
papa bigdog
6th Gear

friend of my wife wanted to ride but was afraid to death of it so we found her a Suzuki 3 wheeler I know not Harley but I have 2013 tri glide long story short she loves it took her to heritage Harley to take three wheeler class which is 2 day class. she passed with flyin colors and has 5000 miles this summer if you want message me I will send a pic of the Suzuki it is as close as you can get to a freewheeler

Old 10-23-2014, 06:40 PM
JRCinNH
Intermediate

Funny Joe, you've met my wife.

I'm not locked to Harley for the three wheels, but other than the Can Am there really isn't a factory trike.

Thanks Papa b, I'll check into the three wheeler class.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:15 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

My wife has been on a tri-glide since 2009 and loves it. I just traded my '09 Tri for a Freewheeler. I can say that the Free handles better and is more responsive than the Tri. Probably because it is 100lbs lighter, 3" shorter, and an inch lower.

IF it were me I'd get her that licence first. $32,000.00 is a lot to bet that she MAY like riding her own. My wife was on Harleys since 1995 so there no guessing if she would like the trike.

Good Luck!

Old 10-24-2014, 08:29 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

My wife went to a TriGlide after 17 years on 2 wheels because of knee issues and she is very comfortable with it.

My thought is that the Freewheeler is no easier to ride or less intimidating than the TriGlide. The look of the Freewheeler is cool, but for traveling, I think the TriGlide is more practical. Much more room to carry stuff, and as you know, ladies carry a lot of stuff on trips.

If traveling is one of you ultimate plans, I would keep the Limited, and get a Tri. Then on trips, you would have communications capabilities bike to bike, stereos, etc. that making traveling more enjoyable.

If you mostly ride around town, then the Freewheeler is going to be a good choice, and they do look cool.

Just an opinion.

Bill

Old 10-24-2014, 02:02 PM
JRCinNH
Intermediate

Screwball, you hit the nail on the head. Even at $25K for a Freewheeler, it's a lot to spend if she doesn't like it or can't pass the test. So I need to get her through that first.

Bill, we really don't do long trips. We might spend a day riding around the mountains but nothing with luggage.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:29 PM
papa bigdog
6th Gear

wifes friend only spent 9 grand on the three wheeler she bought made by lehman it had 4000 mile on it its 06 boulevard tramp c50 800 cc has no trouble keepin up with my tri glide

Quick Reply: Freewheeler for wife?