Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Am I Fueling Up Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 02:22 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboy slim
Are you REALLY posting to ask about how to not get splash back, or just to point out that you've got a new Trike??

When you go for a **** try aiming down the side of the urinal, that way you won't splash your shoes.
Luv it

Old 10-30-2014, 09:10 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is what I did. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...l#post11522292 . Makes it like the old style steel filler neck with vent holes to get rid of the air pocket. I dont care if you do this or not but has been working for us. Just remember that if you run the pump at full speed to the end you will get splash back here also, this just lets you finish the fill like the older style tanks without having to dribble the last 2 or 3 gallons in.

Last edited by icebite1; 10-30-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:34 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by icebite1
This is what I did. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...l#post11522292 . Makes it like the old style steel filler neck with vent holes to get rid of the air pocket. I dont care if you do this or not but has been working for us. Just remember that if you run the pump at full speed to the end you will get splash back here also, this just lets you finish the fill like the older style tanks without having to dribble the last 2 or 3 gallons in.
Or you could just buy an older Harley, from when they were made properly without today's terrible build quality, and modern emissions restrictions.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:10 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Most of them were helpful.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:16 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KJB
Thanks for the replies. Most of them were helpful.
Nicely put.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:00 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior

Deleted, duplicate post.

Last edited by icebite1; 11-01-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:14 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fatboy slim
Or you could just buy an older Harley, from when they were made properly without today's terrible build quality, and modern emissions restrictions.

Are you totally ignorant or don't you have anything else to do but make stupid remarks on something you know nothing about. You have been urinating down the side of too many urinals as you suggest your expertise is by your post #10 in this thread, just eat that cow you cant get rid of and maybe your mouth wount get away from you. We know you cant afford a TriGlide or a new bike, yes ive read some of your previous posts, so next time you post try to have something constructive say and stay on subject so as not belittle your self any farther. Oh, you do know this is the TriGlide section of the forum don't you? Now I fully expect you to have another stupid response to this post to which I am going ignore as you don't deserve any further attention.
To the OP, KJB, sorry your thread got hijacked by his foolish remarks, most of here try to give helpful suggestions and stay on subject.

Last edited by icebite1; 11-01-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:16 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I know there were great assist posts already, but I have come across a few stations who ran out of towels at the pumps do had to use one of my gloves to cover fill hole. If she gets fuel splash, just need to throw in laundry.

Also, don't know if it's different w/tri's as they stand horizontal, but our 2-wheel rides angle so you can get the fill nozzle further into tank. This might help prevent splash-back a bit better than with OP's tri-glide...??

Old 11-01-2014, 11:09 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I always carry a fueling rag in one of the lower faring cubby holes. Put the fuel nozzle as far down the left side of tank as possible. Hold fuel lever open full speed until it clicks off, keeping rag around nozzle during fast fill. Then pull nozzle out to bottom of fuelcap opening and slow fill from there.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Most of the time, I stick the nozzle as far into the tank as I can, when it clicks I remove it and go as slow as I can, usually works fine. On occasion I run into one of those pumps that goes fast and that's it...I sometimes get splash back...just wipe it off as best as I can...I carry a can of spray polish and will take care of spills with that....
It happens....

Quick Reply: Am I Fueling Up Wrong?