Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trike Engine Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:19 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DiselDevilDog
I forgot to add this last year.....I'm 68 and have CRS really bad....hahahahah
Can't Remember S_ _ _.
I took my Trike down to Roeder Racing in Monroeville, Ohio. They do lots of tunes with the SEPST.
Here is my result......She runs very well, much cooler and the idle is at 800 to 900 which I like it a little higher. Now, the icing on the cake...it's running around 38 mpg on our couple trips last year up north (1500 -3000 miles).
Nice looking chart, I'll be its fun to ride.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:06 PM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not much mod as added temp gauge

I purchased a kit from Marlin to keep an eye on my head temp. Spent most of the day trying to decide were to tie in my power to the gauge. I did not want to splice into a manufactures wiring harness so I did a Radio Shack DIY hook up via the battery. from battery connected 1 amp fuse, spst switch , with idiot light that stays on if switch is open or closed, I just disconnected the light, then went to gauge and jumpered to gauge night light, other wires went to grnd and sending unit.
I originally was trying to find the ignition wire so I made sure everything was disconnected like fuse, battery, key off , etc. I started to disconnect harness for ECM, which I thought was the BCM, and the alarm went off in my ear. Scared the crap out of me. I guess the Harley alarm system has a back up power for the alarm system. When ever you play with electrical wires and you hear a loud something , it always scares me, due to previous shocks in my life. After I removed the seat, to check out wires and could not find any loose to tap into, pulled headlight and same thing. Harley has some tight electrical harness stuff. So I gave up , put everything back , best I could and got power straight from the battery, no warranty problems, except for the battery. Started up with 70 deg air temp. Checked cylinder head temp and after running for about 20 minutes , it never got over 230 deg on gauge. Matched my laser temp gun fairly close. Im happy. Turned engine off and realized my water cooled radiator fans had been running. So I am going to check out further when air temp gets in the 90s. Clean looking gauges. I just have to remember to switch off the power to the gauge or it will draw down power from the battery.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Piggyback the cig lighter connection.

OH... next time you mess with power, disarm the alarm. Man, I hate when that happens.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Security alarm has another power source

Mr. Wizard, I removed fuse, disconnected battery and unplugged a heavy red lead to the ECM and the alarm still sounded. I guess that is a good thing. Maybe a capacitor is somewhere in the system or secvurity component that will at least sound for a short period of time, even when the main battery power is cut. Learning all the time when I work on the bike, and that is a good thing.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:37 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bucket list Trike
Mr. Wizard, I removed fuse, disconnected battery and unplugged a heavy red lead to the ECM and the alarm still sounded. I guess that is a good thing. Maybe a capacitor is somewhere in the system or secvurity component that will at least sound for a short period of time, even when the main battery power is cut. Learning all the time when I work on the bike, and that is a good thing.
The smart siren has a battery backup.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:59 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

yup

A 9V battery that should be replaced every few years like the Fob battery

Old 06-05-2014, 12:03 AM
anv.csa
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the only concern with the 255 cam the cold cranking compression?

Old 06-05-2014, 12:06 AM
anv.csa
5th Gear

Perhaps I should have said a 255 on a 2014 trike.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by anv.csa
Perhaps I should have said a 255 on a 2014 trike.
The added compression from the very early intake close does make for an engine not tolerant of poor fuel unless you really work with the timing, which then kills power. IMO the 255 isn't much of an improvement in the 2014 Trike since the new cam they are using is very close to the 255.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:07 PM
anv.csa
5th Gear

MSOCKO3, Thanks. Wish I could return the favor--perhaps some day I can pay it forward.

Can I get curves for the new cam? I did not know they had changed the cam. Any specs?

Quick Reply: Trike Engine Modifications