Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TriGlide Rims and Tranny ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:44 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using Mag/Aluminum polish on the rims at least once a month. Some day I'll get the rims chromed.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:31 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Compound

Mine were pretty rough as I never touched mine last year and have ridden a few times this year! I just got out the old cloth compound wheel and used it with a drill to cut the oxides down! I don't know what I'm using, a white cake used for metal polishing. It come with some red rouge for tail lights and some other cakes for other types of metal polishing.

Aluminum forms an oxide that dulls out the finish, has to be removed and polished. No chrome shops near so I quess it's the old hard way every now and then!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coupe55
No chrome shops near so I quess it's the old hard way every now and then!
Coupe, I remember you sayin you were from Kentucky. Isn't Brown's Plating still in business in Paducah?

I think TheJimer sent his rims to someplace in CA. I wonder if he'll jump in and give details. I believe he mentioned this in another post but I can't find it.

Last edited by Boom; 03-08-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:51 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Had Enough!

Originally Posted by Boom
Coupe, I remember you sayin you were from Kentucky. Isn't Brown's Plating still in business in Paducah?

I think TheJimer sent his rims to someplace in CA. I wonder if he'll jump in and give details. I believe he mentioned this in another post but I can't find it.
I remember him mentioning it but can't remember the thread either! I worked my butt off on those things today, they gotta be a better way! They are coming off for chrome this fall if I can get hooked up! I'll check out Browns in Paducah? I think the cali chrome outfit does some decent work, will try to look em up!

Those oxides will come back almost overnight! It's just to much work keeping up an aluminum wheel!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:23 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom

The name of the chroming company is Surf City Chrome in Huntington Beach, CA. They also go under two other names but this is the only one I could come up with of the top of my head. www.surfcitychrome.com

Old 03-09-2010, 06:40 AM
lzski326
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
The name of the chroming company is Surf City Chrome in Huntington Beach, CA. They also go under two other names but this is the only one I could come up with of the top of my head. www.surfcitychrome.com
I found this in an old post.
Surf City Chrome and Classic Components Inc.
3420 W. Fordham Ave.

Santa Ana, CA 92704
714/619-5690 <> Mike (Sales Mgr. Cell Phone) 714/717/7797

Old 03-09-2010, 09:02 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Chrome won't get you home!

but it sure looks good on a black Tri glide! Thanks guy's for the info, will get em chromed this fall. The weather is nice down hear right now and I don't want to miss any of the riding season but will get those nasty things chromed when it's time to put it up for winter!

FYI, the drilled out CAt and the XIED's seem to be working great! Have had it out several times now and it runs great. I will still go with the fuel moto pipe and go with a better fuel management sytem but wanted to run this thing this summer and just see how it does with the drilled cat and the poor mans tune!

Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Mr Bulldog
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My heat problem which was pretty bad in the summer and kept my feet perched on the outside pegs of the motor protection Bars in front.
1) Added and engine fan for cooling while in traffic, or super hot days.
2) Added a Phase One upgrade
3) Remove header pipes which were configured 2-1- 2 with catalytic converter (real source of heat)
4) added True duals in 2-2-2- configuration. The ride without the converter is like night and day. Sorry California, don't think you can get away with that one.
Last word no more heat issues at all.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:12 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Just curious. I'm waiting to have some parts come back from the powder coater. Has anybody had their rims powdercoated?

Old 04-21-2013, 08:49 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Powder Coating

We have a good Powder Coating shop close and I have been looking at that. I got side tracked looking for some steel rims, have looked for 3 years and have found no aftermarket steel rims for the Tri Glide. I would like to go with an old school look, painted steel rims and baby moon hub caps. Plus the added advantage of not having to polish on those aluminum rims all the time.

Quick Reply: TriGlide Rims and Tranny ??