Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TG heat issue pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:41 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TG heat issue pictures

My FuelMoto headpipe & mufflers will be here tomorrow & being impatient as I am, I started removing the old exhaust system. The first picture is of the crossover pipe, note the heat discoloration close to the cat area. The second picture is the villanous cat itself. By the way, the bolt that secures the headpipe to the frame was completely gaulded from heat. I'm going to have to replace it. The third picture is the exhaustless TG waiting on the headpipe. The boxes & such on the seat are to discourage the neighbors cat from sleeping there.
If anyone's interested, the total time for uploading the TTS map, jacking up the TG, removing the entire exhaust system, & installing the "Ventalator" AC was two hours. That's just me alone with my one good hand.

Attached Thumbnails TG heat issue pictures-img_0677.jpg   TG heat issue pictures-img_0680.jpg   TG heat issue pictures-img_0681.jpg  

Last edited by grandpawmoses; 07-14-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

While you've got the exhaust off, you oughta put a cam in it!
You will also find out that new headpipe is about half the weight of stock pipe.
Have fun!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:16 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
My FuelMoto headpipe & mufflers will be here tomorrow & being impatient as I am, I started removing the old exhaust system. The first picture is of the crossover pipe, note the heat discoloration close to the cat area. The second picture is the villanous cat itself. By the way, the bolt that secures the headpipe to the frame was completely gaulded from heat. I'm going to have to replace it. The third picture is the exhaustless TG waiting on the headpipe. The boxes & such on the seat are to discourage the neighbors cat from sleeping there.
If anyone's interested, the total time for uploading the TTS map, jacking up the TG, removing the entire exhaust system, & installing the "Ventalator" AC was two hours. That's just me alone with my one good hand.
Grandpa,
I think that you will be very pleased with the Jack pot head pipes. When I removed my stock non-cat pipes, they looked just as discolored as yours. After 4,000 miles, I inspected the Jack pots and they had some slight bluing near the head connection but nothing like the stock pipe.

Jim

Old 07-15-2010, 03:57 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

The UPS man just delivered my pipe & mufflers. Very nice. I was surprised that they came with both sets of bung plugs. First class indeed. The mufflers look super too. One is supposed to have a smaller baffle for the left side but I didn't really notice that. I'll re-check it later. Just got home & got an acre of grass to cut before I get to play with the new toys.
Just checked & one muffler does have the smaller baffle. You just have to look through it, not at the outlet end.

Last edited by grandpawmoses; 07-15-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:58 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
While you've got the exhaust off, you oughta put a cam in it!
Speaking of cam. I called Bob Wood today, heck of nice guy to talk to. I got his take on which of his cams would be a good cam for the Triglide both loaded with 2 people and possibly pulling a trailer. It was a toss up between the TW5-6 and the TW-6-6 with the TW-6-6 being the best cam for not only making some decent bottom end torque but also cooling it off due to the greater duration over the TW5-6.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:40 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
The UPS man just delivered my pipe & mufflers. Very nice. I was surprised that they came with both sets of bung plugs. First class indeed. The mufflers look super too. One is supposed to have a smaller baffle for the left side but I didn't really notice that. I'll re-check it later. Just got home & got an acre of grass to cut before I get to play with the new toys.
I’m glad to hear that they are now shipping the head pipes with the bung plugs.

Jim

Old 07-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by msocko3
Speaking of cam. I called Bob Wood today, heck of nice guy to talk to. I got his take on which of his cams would be a good cam for the Triglide both loaded with 2 people and possibly pulling a trailer. It was a toss up between the TW5-6 and the TW-6-6 with the TW-6-6 being the best cam for not only making some decent bottom end torque but also cooling it off due to the greater duration over the TW5-6.
Is this the cam that you can use 91 octane with no adverse effects? Does it also give you a drop in gas mileage from stock?
(BTW, did he give you a price on the 6-6? )

Old 07-15-2010, 05:55 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Boom;7006078[B
](BTW, did he give you a price on the 6-6?[/B] )
I would like to know the answer to that one too. I would have assumed that that Woods would not sell direct and that you would have to go through a dealer!

Jim

Old 07-16-2010, 03:24 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
Is this the cam that you can use 91 octane with no adverse effects? Does it also give you a drop in gas mileage from stock?
(BTW, did he give you a price on the 6-6? )
Yes this cam will work with 91 octane with no problem. Gas mileage is impacted greatly by how it has been tuned. I didn't ask for a price because their web site says they prefer you to buy from a dealer, they will sell to you direct if you wish. I'll be getting in touch with Jamie at Fuelmoto when I get around to buying cams.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:46 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

Long post warning...
I started putting the headpipe on last night. The headpipe & right side muffler were no problems. I did install the headpipe without the heat shields & put them on after everything was torqued down. They seemed to be in the way of accessing the flange nuts. As I started to re-install the crossover pipe, I buggered up the new gasket (& I had already destroyed the old one removing it). I called it a night & would get a new gasket Saturday morning. As my luck would have it, no one within 100 miles had one in stock. I re-shaped the old one & packed it good with Permatex copper high temp silicone & finally finished the job. Cranked it up & she sounded very happy. The Jackpot mufflers have a much deeper tone than the SE II's. A short ride confirmed what everyione was saying about removing the cat. Lots more "seat of the pants" torque & less heat. I didn't have to downshift as much from 6th gear. It's too soon to say for sure but I had no problem finding neutal. I have this theory that the cat was heating the transmission fluid to the point of being too thin & causing that issue. This new pipe does radiate some heat though but less than 25% of what the cat headpipe did. I'm temporarily satisfied with the TTS map but I want to make a data run to check for spark retard activity. No hesitations, popping, or obvious pinging but I want to be sure before a long ride. I like having the throttle blade position table set to emulate a mechanical cable throttle.
Total time to entirely remove the old exhaust system-2 hours.
Total time to install new system-4 hours
I could have saved at least an hour with the install but I was being over cautious. Also, if I weren't replacing the mufflers, I don't think the left side muffler would need to be removed. Just remove the crossover pipe hanger & clamp and pull the crossover pipe connection out of the headpipe.

Last edited by grandpawmoses; 07-17-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: TG heat issue pictures