Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

30 Tooth Primary Drive Pulley for Triglide

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:24 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 30 Tooth Primary Drive Pulley for Triglide

I cant get any info from local dealer even tho the '11 trikes are out. I am definetly going to install a 30t pulley in wifes '10 triglide, just need to know belt size. the '10 has a 1 1/8" wide by 139 tooth. anyone able to get the new '11 size???

Old 08-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icebite1
I cant get any info from local dealer even tho the '11 trikes are out. I am definetly going to install a 30t pulley in wifes '10 triglide, just need to know belt size. the '10 has a 1 1/8" wide by 139 tooth. anyone able to get the new '11 size???
That's a good question!
Would they retain the same belt and adjust out the slack from a smaller pulley (more cost effective)? Or create another belt (making more labor for a retro install)? I haven't found any info either. Looks like it might mean a call to Milwaukee HQ.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:12 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior

when i put a 30t on my RK for the side hack i had to use a shorter belt but there is a whole lot more adj. leeway on the trike. if i can find the new belt size i can caculate the adj. ( i think) you loose about 1/2" per tooth. anyhow i know the new pulley will help a lot, it made all the difference on my hack, can cruise in 6th at 60 mph.

Last edited by icebite1; 08-08-2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by icebite1
when i put a 30t on my RK for the side hack i had to use a shorter belt but there is a whole lot more adj. leeway on the trike. if i can find the new belt size i can caculate the adj. ( i think) you loose about 1/2" per tooth. anyhow i know the new pulley will help a lot, it made all the difference on my hack, can cruise in 6th at 60 mph.
I replied in a similar post on this. If you have to change the belt, which I would dread doing, the service manual says to remove the body and pull the axles so you can remove the differential pulley and get at the belt!

Old 08-08-2010, 07:30 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
I replied in a similar post on this. If you have to change the belt, which I would dread doing, the service manual says to remove the body and pull the axles so you can remove the differential pulley and get at the belt!
Don't sound like a fun job to me.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:13 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Andrews 21 Cams

That gear change looks to be a bear unless some tech has come up with a shortcut by now!

I had a few friends that put the Andrews 21 cams in the ol 88's. Do they still make that for the 103? Is that in the drop in catagory on the new Twin Cams?

They come on a little earlier than the Woods TW-6-6, around 1700 If I am not mistaken. This would help with the bottom end pull outs but don't think they stayed in as long as the W6.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, will be interesting to see if the 11 belt will work with the gear change or better yet, be able to use the 10 with the change. Will be awhile before we can talk someone off the ice flow on this one.

Last edited by coupe55; 08-08-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:12 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
That gear change looks to be a bear unless some tech has come up with a shortcut by now!

I had a few friends that put the Andrews 21 cams in the ol 88's. Do they still make that for the 103? Is that in the drop in catagory on the new Twin Cams?

They come on a little earlier than the Woods TW-6-6, around 1700 If I am not mistaken. This would help with the bottom end pull outs but don't think they stayed in as long as the W6.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, will be interesting to see if the 11 belt will work with the gear change or better yet, be able to use the 10 with the change. Will be awhile before we can talk someone off the ice flow on this one.
The gear change would be nice but having to screw around with the belt makes it a no go for me, I'd rather be hit in the head repeatedly with a hammer first. IMO the Andrews 21 wouldn't be my top choice for a cam in the 103, I'd look at the 26 before I'd mess with the 21.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

I sent a PM to DAWG in the touring forum, he gets the skinny on stuff, I believe he works for a dealership..anyway this is his response;
Well, in the 2011 new parts reference it simply shows under the belts/chains/sprockets section that the only new thing is 83595-11 which is the 30T tranny sprocket. Therefore, according to that they are using the same belt as the 10. I won't be able to check the actual 11 Triglide parts book until later this week though.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Casper
I sent a PM to DAWG in the touring forum, he gets the skinny on stuff, I believe he works for a dealership..anyway this is his response;
Well, in the 2011 new parts reference it simply shows under the belts/chains/sprockets section that the only new thing is 83595-11 which is the 30T tranny sprocket. Therefore, according to that they are using the same belt as the 10. I won't be able to check the actual 11 Triglide parts book until later this week though.
NOW that pulley change sounds like a better first option as far as easier install---no special tools. I'd still like to do the cam though. Maybe since the gearing change, a better cam than the SE255 would be in order? One that wouldn't peter-out at 4300 RPM?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:39 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior

thanks casper, i thought there was a lot of adj. for the belt take up. replacing the drive sproket will be easier than the cam install i did. the 30t sproket is the same one that i used on my '07 RK and procedure is the same. still would like to find out about the belt. Boom, the woods tw6-6 cam change i did helped but i did not notice any real help in 6th gear, definitly stronger in rpm ranges tho.

Last edited by icebite1; 08-09-2010 at 06:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 30 Tooth Primary Drive Pulley for Triglide