Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Feedback from Tri Glide owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 11:31 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Floyd
Hey oldmsocko,

Guess my note didn't really convey my thoughts that well. It was meant to be constructive! Well, that didn't work like I had planned!

Yea, on have had the starter go out on mine as well and other things.

Ugh…. missed the yellowstone trip. That was not fun!

Later, FF
Not a problem FF. Wishing you and yours a Very Merry Christmas.

Mike

Old 12-08-2013, 03:32 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
Just checking in Mike to see to keep my seat warm, you know me if it ain't broke I'm out riding instead of blogging. Winter finally caught up with us down here in Ky. she is on the float charger now and bedded down, thought I had better get in and check on my friends.

Doing well Mike, hope you and yours are well. Have a Merry Christmas and a very good new year!
Been hearing about the ice storms down your way, hope you all weather the storm safely.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:54 AM
Fast Floyd
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Email Hell

oldmsocko,

It still bothered me that my written words offended another loyal rider. I've been reading your rants and posts now for some time. They always leave me with a chuckle and many times with more "know how" than I had before. Part of the sites value is that we can get on here and bitch about the things we are passionate about. Guess I was a bit cranky that day I wrote my note. Ice and snow here so without the wind in my face I get a bit stupid.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Later, FF

Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Floyd
oldmsocko,

It still bothered me that my written words offended another loyal rider. I've been reading your rants and posts now for some time. They always leave me with a chuckle and many times with more "know how" than I had before. Part of the sites value is that we can get on here and bitch about the things we are passionate about. Guess I was a bit cranky that day I wrote my note. Ice and snow here so without the wind in my face I get a bit stupid.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Later, FF
I don't call that stupid, rather I call it passionate.

Mike

Old 12-10-2013, 07:45 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Been hearing about the ice storms down your way, hope you all weather the storm safely.

That was mostly in the western part of the state, we dodged the bullet on that one. It was all rain by the time it got to East Ky. although we got lots of it. We are spoiled down here, now you guys get some real winters! Have you figured out how to get the front wheel to pull so we can get some snow tires on the Tri and ride year round>

Old 12-13-2013, 04:11 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by coupe55
That was mostly in the western part of the state, we dodged the bullet on that one. It was all rain by the time it got to East Ky. although we got lots of it. We are spoiled down here, now you guys get some real winters! Have you figured out how to get the front wheel to pull so we can get some snow tires on the Tri and ride year round>
I'll bet the trike would go pretty decent through the snow, just don't care to test it in Ohio. In Ohio they live to dump large amounts of salt and brine on the roads in hopes of helping the auto manufacturers build more cars to replace the rotted out ones.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:11 PM
TonyHoltz
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought a new 2014 tri-glide and I can't say enough about how well we like this machine. I am still getting used to rideing this bike but so far so good. I am not happy with the fuel mileage ( 35-36) but I guess this is normal. Otherwise we are happy! Anyone know of someone who offers a larger (2 teeth) primary drive chain sprocket please respond as I would like to raise my speed/rpm by two hundred rpms. Just to see if this would help fuel mpg's. I did think of bigger tires but the speedo would then be wrong and no way to recal the speedo. Thanks for any help.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:41 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TonyHoltz
Just bought a new 2014 tri-glide and I can't say enough about how well we like this machine. I am still getting used to rideing this bike but so far so good. I am not happy with the fuel mileage ( 35-36) but I guess this is normal. Otherwise we are happy! Anyone know of someone who offers a larger (2 teeth) primary drive chain sprocket please respond as I would like to raise my speed/rpm by two hundred rpms. Just to see if this would help fuel mpg's. I did think of bigger tires but the speedo would then be wrong and no way to recal the speedo. Thanks for any help.
The only people making anything for changing the primary gearing I know of is http://www.evolution-industries.com/. I wouldn't get any sprocket that eliminates the compensator, it could lead to crankshaft damage. Changing primary gearing will make your 6th gear light not work and could mess with the cruise control. I've found the best mileage to be not using 6th gear until I get to 65 mph.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:38 AM
Ponani
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Do it again, one more time

Well, I am now well into my second year of my 2012 Triglyde and it continues to be an adventure. I certainly love riding it (over 9,000 miles now), with the switch to synthetic oil and doing everything I can to avoid any and all "sitting in traffic" situations the heat issues have pretty much resolved. Thinking of adding a heat shield of some kind, wonder if they make an oil cooler. When really hot, besides roasting my inner thighs, my trike has shifting and slippage issues. I have added upper trunk "wedge" to straighten out appearance and 1.25" rear lifters to keep my *** from dragging on every driveway gutter.
I would say my biggest issues have been in quality. I can't see how H-D makes any money with all the warranty payouts! They have now 1) dealer replaced clutch at 125 miles, 2) replaced radio (after 6 shop visits for it), 3) replaced lower trunk latch (no leakage for me), and 4) replaced electric backup motor. My seat seams ripping out, but no warranty there. Both rear fenders developed cracks, but HD refuses to admit there could be any warranty issue there. I paid to replace - they ain't cheap.
Yesterday I paid $124 (+HOG paid $100) to tow in with a dead electrical. Tried trickle charge for 24 hours. My guess is, the battery died. We'll see if HD covers any of this issue. Dealer states they MAY be able to look at it in 1-2 weeks.
The wife enjoys all the above, supports her " I told you so" concept in relation to purchase. Me, I just go out for a ride.

Last edited by Ponani; 12-31-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 01-01-2014, 12:49 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ponani
Well, I am now well into my second year of my 2012 Triglyde and it continues to be an adventure. I certainly love riding it (over 9,000 miles now), with the switch to synthetic oil and doing everything I can to avoid any and all "sitting in traffic" situations the heat issues have pretty much resolved. Thinking of adding a heat shield of some kind, wonder if they make an oil cooler. When really hot, besides roasting my inner thighs, my trike has shifting and slippage issues. I have added upper trunk "wedge" to straighten out appearance and 1.25" rear lifters to keep my *** from dragging on every driveway gutter.
I would say my biggest issues have been in quality. I can't see how H-D makes any money with all the warranty payouts! They have now 1) dealer replaced clutch at 125 miles, 2) replaced radio (after 6 shop visits for it), 3) replaced lower trunk latch (no leakage for me), and 4) replaced electric backup motor. My seat seams ripping out, but no warranty there. Both rear fenders developed cracks, but HD refuses to admit there could be any warranty issue there. I paid to replace - they ain't cheap.
Yesterday I paid $124 (+HOG paid $100) to tow in with a dead electrical. Tried trickle charge for 24 hours. My guess is, the battery died. We'll see if HD covers any of this issue. Dealer states they MAY be able to look at it in 1-2 weeks.
The wife enjoys all the above, supports her " I told you so" concept in relation to purchase. Me, I just go out for a ride.
I know the feeling. My dads 09 has had 3 bad start buttons, a warped oil cooler adapter, bad front wheel bearings, leaking tunk, bad compensator, inner primary bearing go bad twice, the break switch recall, top front motor mount bolts snap off once and then fall out on another occation and the reverse tried to engage once while he was going down the road. All this in 46,000 miles.

My 2010 had the start button fail once, my rear breaks failed due to the recalled switch, a bad compensator, the stator start to leak and an electrical gremlin which made almost all the electrical items including break lights and turn signals go out then come back. All this in 22,000 miles.

I know one guy who had so much stuff go wrong on his 2010 Limited his extended warranty paid for it self twice, the list of broke stuff was endless. Then there are folks who ride the snot out of them and have not a lick of trouble, just the luck of the draw.

Quick Reply: Feedback from Tri Glide owners