Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Feedback from Tri Glide owners

Old 08-19-2010, 08:12 PM
dj50950
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback from Tri Glide owners

I'm seriously thinking of getting a 2011 Tri Glide. Looking for some feedback both pro and con.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:41 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smart Move

I wish I had done some research on the Tri Glide before I purchased mine.

Let me be the first to post my reaction to the second year of production of the Harley Tri Glide.

2010 being the year that the EPA Standards become more stringent than even prior years for motorcycles HD felt the only way they could meet the new Emission Standard was to stick a catalytic converter in the headpipe on top of the EPA Cams and the lean AFR they were already using to appease the EPA.

The result was a hot underpowered mickey mouse imitation of what a Harley Davidson should be. I understand now why few were available for testing and you had to order them sight unseen. I have been out over $1000 dollars to resolve the heat issue and it will take over another $1000 to resolve the performance problem this winter when I tear into it.

I understand they have come up with a Trans gear change in an effort to improve the off the line sluggishness and a mediocre 6th gear on the 2011 model.

In short I would not have bought this constipated oven for $10,000 off the sticker if I had known it would have been such a dog.

The following users liked this post:
w4krz (05-28-2016)
Old 08-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Glyder
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell em how ya teally feel! lol

Old 08-19-2010, 10:22 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There Run Hot, Under Powered, Run Lean, Rear breaks stink, Trunk leaks. on the 09 and 10. The 11's should be all the above except for the Rear brakes and trunk leaks. But the Motor Co. Sure as H*LL ain't got your back they say it's normal. Would I do it over might of bought a BOSSHOSS.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:37 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Gees Coupe, you sound bitter.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:16 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, sure got an earful this early in the morning!

Anyway, I guess my likes outweigh my dislikes on my '10. It's still under-powered and the rear brakes suck! The '11s should be much better but you'll have to spend some money to cool it down. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:38 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Hot is the buzz word, did I say its hot..... Cook your meal and cook your right leg while riding, Harley built one neat toaster oven. To me the best year performance wise was 2009. I bought my 2010 figuring they would make more improvements over the 09 MY, instead I was surprised with the gift of a catalytic converter which cooks the rider and promotes lack luster performance. The sad part is the Triglide is a nice looking good handling package that offers a pretty good ride. If the MoCo would get its act together and actually give the Triglide some power that doesn't try to slow roast the rider they would have a great product. I'm sitting in the corner sulking because the 2011 got the gearing that 09 - 10 should have had. The lazy cheap azzed engineers knew the gearing wasn't right but elected to release the product as it was. Customer service isn't any help for the heat, lack of power and the gearing. I've contacted them last year concerning the poor performance and uncomfortable heat over and above what it should have been. Their answer was it is operating as designed. I contacted them about a path forward for the owners of 09 - 10's concerning the gearing. I was told they have no known plans on offering the gearing for those years, I'm not a happy camper.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:46 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Hot is the buzz word, did I say its hot..... Cook your meal and cook your right leg while riding, Harley built one neat toaster oven. To me the best year performance wise was 2009. I bought my 2010 figuring they would make more improvements over the 09 MY, instead I was surprised with the gift of a catalytic converter which cooks the rider and promotes lack luster performance. The sad part is the Triglide is a nice looking good handling package that offers a pretty good ride. If the MoCo would get its act together and actually give the Triglide some power that doesn't try to slow roast the rider they would have a great product. I'm sitting in the corner sulking because the 2011 got the gearing that 09 - 10 should have had. The lazy cheap azzed engineers knew the gearing wasn't right but elected to release the product as it was. Customer service isn't any help for the heat, lack of power and the gearing. I've contacted them last year concerning the poor performance and uncomfortable heat over and above what it should have been. Their answer was it is operating as designed. I contacted them about a path forward for the owners of 09 - 10's concerning the gearing. I was told they have no known plans on offering the gearing for those years, I'm not a happy camper.
+1 Well said well written.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You guys that see some of the posts I have made know that I come across as a Harley-hater to some people that don't get the full picture on my attitude. I can assure everybody that I am a Harley-lover and not a Harley-hater. I have owned just about every model (including two Buell's). I think every one of you TG owners know where I am coming from. I am ready for a new ride, but the TG owners themselves have convinced me that it will never be a TG.

Just like a pool or a boat, we go through the denial stages for a while and consider the purchase we made as a great thing and just can't bring ourselves to the point of reality until we are eventually convinced that we made a mistake. We defend the purchase until reality kicks-in. In the case of the TG, I don't blame the buying public. I don't make fun of you folks that have purchased the TG. My aggravation about the whole thing is directed at the MOCO and not you guys that have purchased them. I have been bitten more than once by the MOCO, so I am a victim in many ways also....just not a TG victim and never will be.

Now we are seeing and reading about people asking opinions on purchasing the TG and are seeing more-and-more where we have faced-up to the fact that in it's present configuration...it's close to junk.

I would not own a TG of any model year..... past, present or future. I do not recommend one to anybody that ask and I hear from more-n-more people that won't own one and are making attempts to get rid of the one they have now.

If these were automobiles, Harley would be out of business by now. It's just a damn shame!

Last edited by 0734; 08-20-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:32 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A Sunny Disposition

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Gees Coupe, you sound bitter.
Just adds to the heat! I wish the forum had been up on the Tri Glide prior to July of last year, a little research could have at least put me on that 09 Tri. Harley could have kept me from crapping on their front porch if they had offered me some solutions or help with the problems they sold me. They pissed on my leg and told me it was raining! They are an uncaring bunch after you hand them the money and service after the sale comes at a premium price.

I got to call it like I see it when people ask me for an honest evaluation about the 2010 Tri Glide.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Feedback from Tri Glide owners