Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Exhaust Wrapping

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust Wrapping

I've asked on a couple of different threads how to do this without a reply. I bought the Fuelmoto stainless header and exhausts. Got the header wrap, stainless ties and high temp paint. Exactly what do I need to wrap and how far down. It does not look like there is much room to get between the two exhaust pipes, header collector and bracket. The top O2 sensor bungs will not be used as mine are on the bottom.

I can also have these headers ceramic coated locally at a reasonable price, any comments about that? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:58 PM
bullet 10
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buddy I bought 25ft of titanium rap from DEI am going to rap my down tubes and collector as far as I canto the add on pipe. I bought silver spray sealer to seal rap with wire connectors at start to finish. rap down tubes seperate to collector and then over collector around O2 sensors to end of collector. I am still trying to get you a diagram of my shifter.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:20 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I've never wrapped a pipe in my life, but I'm going to learn sometime this winter. I figure I'm going to wrap from a couple inches below the exhaust ports down to the collector and see what that looks like.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:37 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wrapping

Why? rider comfort only benefit worth mentioning!

Wrap everything from the end of the headpipe to the cylinder heads! If your'e gonna do it, do it all! You can wrap in between the 02 sensors.

Just one of the things we do for hot Tri's, if you don't have a heat problem no need to waste your time or money. You ain't gonna hurt those stainless pipes and it will keep a little heat off your thighs if it is a little uncomfortable in the summer!

Old 11-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coupe55
Why? rider comfort only benefit worth mentioning!

Wrap everything from the end of the headpipe to the cylinder heads! If your'e gonna do it, do it all! You can wrap in between the 02 sensors.

Just one of the things we do for hot Tri's, if you don't have a heat problem no need to waste your time or money. You ain't gonna hurt those stainless pipes and it will keep a little heat off your thighs if it is a little uncomfortable in the summer!
I also thought there was a horspower gain involved? Seems I read this somewhere: Wrapping also increases the thermal retention within pipes and subsequently expedites exhaust flow at a higher velocity. This characteristic increases horsepower. Or maybe the gain on the trike would be insignificant?

Old 11-02-2010, 08:23 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default HP Added

Originally Posted by Boom
I also thought there was a horspower gain involved? Seems I read this somewhere: Wrapping also increases the thermal retention within pipes and subsequently expedites exhaust flow at a higher velocity. This characteristic increases horsepower. Or maybe the gain on the trike would be insignificant?

When you study the advantages of ceramic you get a little HP gain, the hotter the exhaust inside the header, it scavenges better. The good ones are coated inside and out. The most HP gained in automotive header wrapping is derived by reducing the underhood temps thereby letting the engine get a colder air charge. The cold air kits, ram air and all that are because a cold air charge has more oxygen and that gives you better combustion.

I feel the HP gains from wrapping an external header on a bike/trike would be minimal and negligable. I am sure there would be some small amount of efficiency gained but with a two cylinder engine I doubt it would show up on a dino run.

However wrapping is effective for reducing radiated heat for the purpose of under hood temps or rider comfort. Might not be able to measure much HP gains but you can sure measure the rider comfort on a Tri in August when sitting in traffic.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:24 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
I've asked on a couple of different threads how to do this without a reply. I bought the Fuelmoto stainless header and exhausts. Got the header wrap, stainless ties and high temp paint. Exactly what do I need to wrap and how far down. It does not look like there is much room to get between the two exhaust pipes, header collector and bracket. The top O2 sensor bungs will not be used as mine are on the bottom.

I can also have these headers ceramic coated locally at a reasonable price, any comments about that? Any assistance would be appreciated.
Starting at the head, I just wrapped the vertical portion of the head pipes.

IMO, ceramic coating stainless steel pipes is an unnecessary waste of $.

Jim

Old 11-02-2010, 08:26 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
Dragsters are looking to shave off thousandths of a second of their ET so each little tiny horsepower gain is meaningful to them. You will never notice any gain in a TG.

Jim

Old 11-03-2010, 04:25 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
When you study the advantages of ceramic you get a little HP gain, the hotter the exhaust inside the header, it scavenges better. The good ones are coated inside and out. The most HP gained in automotive header wrapping is derived by reducing the underhood temps thereby letting the engine get a colder air charge. The cold air kits, ram air and all that are because a cold air charge has more oxygen and that gives you better combustion.

I feel the HP gains from wrapping an external header on a bike/trike would be minimal and negligable. I am sure there would be some small amount of efficiency gained but with a two cylinder engine I doubt it would show up on a dino run.

However wrapping is effective for reducing radiated heat for the purpose of under hood temps or rider comfort. Might not be able to measure much HP gains but you can sure measure the rider comfort on a Tri in August when sitting in traffic.
You are spot on Coupe.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:09 AM
veegee
Cruiser

Start at the front and work your way back. when i did mine it came with the ties but i ended up using hose clamps and painted over them with the heat paint. wear gloves and long sleeve shirt. i got fiberglass everywhere.
And it will keep you warm...LOL

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Wrapping-misc-082.jpg  

Quick Reply: Exhaust Wrapping