Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2014 Price

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:37 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2014 Price

I don't see much on this topic. I have been all over the state getting quotes and there are many differences. Now I have to wrestle with do I want to go with local dealer because that's where I will do my Service and maintenance.
Even if the Trike is 500-1000 More at local vs across state at larger dealers?
I want to do business with local people but $ is Money? Opinions? Did you shop around or go with your local dealer?
Hap

Old 01-12-2014, 06:54 AM
Rabbit1956
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you trust the service department at the local dealer it is well worth the extra money you will spend for the new Trike . Dealerships do treat customers better if you buy from them and get it serviced by them . Just make sure the service department has some decent Techs that know what they are doing . If there is a specific Tech you like that works on your bike ask for him when talking to the service writer and tell him you want him to do the service, and ask when he is available to do that service good Techs are in high demand. Good luck on your purchase.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:56 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

The dealers are not your friends, they are in business to make money....period.

They want to sell you the bike at the highest price they can, you want to buy it at the lowest price you can.

Take emotions and loyalty out of it if they're not giving you a good deal, it's your hard earned money and you should spend it the way you want to.

My suggestion is to visit as many dealers as you want, to get the best price you can. Get that best price in writing in a detailed quote.

Go back to the dealer that YOU WANT to buy the bike from and show them the quote. Tell them you want to do business with them and if they can match or beat the price on the quote, you will.

If they won't deal, walk, and buy from the quoted dealer.
You can get your bike serviced at any dealer, it doesn't have to be the dealer you purchased the bike from.
Just because you didn't buy the bike from the servicing dealer, doesn't mean you can't create a relationship with the service department.
Loyalty is a two way street.

Last edited by ElectraGlideSteve; 01-12-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:58 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Devil's advocate here...I say it shouldn't matter where you purchase the bike so go for best deal. If your local HD service center doesn't treat you the same as another who bought there = time to discuss this problem w/franchise owner/mgr.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:26 AM
jimr1960
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price

Originally Posted by hapbob
I don't see much on this topic. I have been all over the state getting quotes and there are many differences. Now I have to wrestle with do I want to go with local dealer because that's where I will do my Service and maintenance.
Even if the Trike is 500-1000 More at local vs across state at larger dealers?
I want to do business with local people but $ is Money? Opinions? Did you shop around or go with your local dealer?
Hap
Personally I have found the best deal from my local dealer. I do research on the internet, call other dealers within a one hundred mile radius and then I talk with my local dealer. My local dealer (Legacy Harley in Effingham, Illinois) has been willing to work with me on price. They do need to make some money to keep the doors open, but the price has been fair. They have taken excellent care of me as a customer. Yes, I spent a lot of money on an Ultra Limited and now I am trading for a 2014 tri Glide, but the salesman has taken an unbelievable amount of time (and patience) to answer every question I have had about trikes and the new changes on the 2014 model. It depends on the dealer I know, but I have been very happy with my local Harley dealer. jimr1960

Old 01-12-2014, 03:20 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Devil's advocate here...I say it shouldn't matter where you purchase the bike so go for best deal. If your local HD service center doesn't treat you the same as another who bought there = time to discuss this problem w/franchise owner/mgr.
Sometimes the owner is the problem, if you didn't buy you go to the back of the line. I know a guy who bought a car from a different dealer than he used to. He took his car in for warranty work at the local dealer who he didn't buy from and was told his appointment would be a month from then because they had customers who came 1st. A complaint to Ford fell on deaf ears, he was told as long as the work got done and done right they wouldn't meddle or get involved.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:58 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't submit to any single dealer. I'll buy what I can buy right. If the local stealer doesn't wanna wheel & deal on the price, it's his loss. Same goes for service... You don't need to get service at the dealer from which you bought the bike. The dealers all have to honor a new product warranty whether they sold the machine or not.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the cheapest price, You can still get it serviced locally. I agree, they are not your friends, they want your money.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:08 AM
ZBear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rootro
Go with the cheapest price, You can still get it serviced locally. I agree, they are not your friends, they want your money.
I totally agree. I thought the dealer was my friend. I found out they weren't when they reneged on my discount on parts for a year. "Sue Us".

Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 PM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Rootro
I agree wholeheartedly. When I was in the market for my SG trike, I shopped around at five local dealers. All five would not budge off of MSRP. I also tried two dealers in my original home state (SC) and they wouldn't come off of MSRP. I ended up buying the trike from a dealer in Raleigh NC because they came off of MSRP by $1500 and they gave me a $1000 clothes gift card (because I am retired military). I ended up getting them to keep the gift card and taking the $1000 off of the price of the trike. I took a $24.00 AMTRAK ride down to pickup the trike and ride it back to V.A. Beach.

I have had the SG trike since May 2011 and I've had it serviced at a dealer in S.C., the selling dealer in N.C., and most times at a dealer in V.A. Beach. Never once did any of these dealers ask me where I bought the trike nor did they give me less service because of where I bought it. By the way, the best service I've gotten was at a dealer in S.C. (2 states away from my home dealer).

Bubba

Quick Reply: 2014 Price