Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

HD Trike versus Can Am Spyder

Old 02-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Trike versus Can Am Spyder

Hi,

If there are any folks that can give me a comparison between the trike and spider, I'd sure appreciate it.

I am well versed in various uses of quads, motorcycles, tractors, drive a large 1 ton dually and pull a 38 foot horse trailer. So, I can handle a heavy unit I think. But I want something safe and fun for my daughter and I. And of course, I love the Harley brand...naughty and nice at the same time!

I am a Mother of an 8 year old and am leaning towards a trike, but feel I must explore the option of the Can Am Spyder as well.

Warm regards

Purple_Daze

Old 02-08-2011, 06:00 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,560 Likes on 5,153 Posts

The two a different worlds.
I Went down to buy a Spider,took check book with me. Came home with out it.
It was neat and only took a few minutes to get use to it.
But for the cost it had little storage to carry any thing and just did not strike me a s worth while to ereally own.
Now I know those that love them will want me shot for saying that.
A trike is about style and one of few option for those that can not ride two wheels. I know there are some that just like trikes.
My point is you can not compare the two.
Stop in test ride a spider go home then go back and try it again maybe you will like it.
They do not handle bad once you adjust to it.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:35 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Friend of mine bought the RT model CanAm Spyder last June and we traveled to Cody, WY for a week in July. There is no comparison...definite lack of storage space in the Spyder...color selection in the touring model is black, I think...other colors in the less expensive models.You basically get what you pay for in my opinion. The Spyder is lighter, so thru the mountains may have the advantage. They look/feel/ride differently than other trikes. You couldn't even begin to compare it to the HD Tri-Glide. It would be like comparing a small foreign sports car to a Corvette.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a T-REX instead... both made in Canada..
http://www.campagnamotors.com/

Old 02-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Dogdaz
Cruiser
Default Spyder

I looked at the spyder very close even went to two rallies and talked with owners. The plus is the wheels in front handle a little better and it has a little less vibration, and nobody makes a better engine than Rotax. Downside and I will only list a few important ones. They throw codes a lot and it goes into limp mode and you must get to a dealer to clear the code, running down the highway at 70 mph your engine is turning over 5000 rpms, hurts gas millage and reliability, breakdowns are numerous, heat problems on right side, the handling improvement is killed by electronic gadgets that protect the rider, the front shocks need replacing at purchase, and the sway bar also has to be replaced, the engine is only 992 ccs and does not have the torque to pull a thousand pounds of bike plus riders and gear. The list goes on. Go to the spyder forums and get a taste, there are three good ones. The Harley trike is not with out problems but most of the problems have answers, the right side heat can at least be fixed and they hold your investment much better. Check the price of a used Spyder, I think they have promise but it is a few years down the road. My two cents, Jerry

Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM
bullet 10
Tourer

Purple Daze, Purple Daze reminds me of a song. Welcome to the trike forum. Check out this web site WWW.FRANKENSTEINTRIKES.COM they are priced resonable My dealer is using these on sporters and dynas. I'm sure would work on your bike. Just another option. Good luck on what you come up with.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser

The reason that I am asking is don't get me wrong. I am completely in love with my 2009 HD Softail Custom. Love it to bits and pieces. Its my toy, my pleasure, my freedom from responsibility, farm, animals and child. But, for when I am taking my 8 year old daughter out, I want to have the best time I can, whilst still enjoying the feel of openess and freedom, but safer than a 2 wheel. I won't take my daughter, or anybody, out on my 2 wheeler. So, I am very confident I will buy a Trike of some sort. And I am seeking opinions of folks, to round out my knowledge so that I can make a better choice knowing that I had gathered some research. Never fear....my fond ride is my HD Softail Custom. Love it..love it. But, not my child on the back. I would not be comfortable at all. Please keep the comments coming. They are helping me alot

Old 02-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

OK, don't let this come off as nosey, or insulting at all, not meant to be...
but trikes are expensive, very expensive. HD TG is around 30.000 plus...and new Wing and then a trike kit will set you back at least that much or more...lot of money just to ride around your daughter.

If you plan on keeping your Soft Tail and add a trike to the garage, maybe a used Goldwing 1500 trike? A used 1500 trike may be picked up for less than 20,000. It would a a great trike to take your daughter out for a spin, overnighters etc...without breaking the bank.

Now, if you have to spend, by all means get the best you can and enjoy the heck out of it....I wish I have several motorcycles in the garage...and if I hit the lottery I will....

Just some more info to digest...another option.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:41 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Apples & Oranges

I think we covered this ground before but will reinterate, two different animals. The Tri glide is an American Made touring trike that will hold its resale value. The Spyder is a novelty and has by no means made the cut in the trike world, it may prove to have legs and be around long enough to get a parts and dealership base for. I won't buy foreign and when I can support U.S. workers so I am somewhat prejudiced.
However it is a wierd looking contraption to me and even if HD made it I would not be caught dead on one!

Old 02-09-2011, 02:47 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, this being a HD forum, most all of us lean toward the TriGlide. There is a member here from Mich., Port Huron i think, who has both Spyder and TG, he has posted about comparisons here recently so if you havent already try a search for his threads, he had what i thought was fair info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD Trike versus Can Am Spyder