Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trailering

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 03:04 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trailering

Curious. I am going to be trailering my TG to a dyno to get it tuned. What I need to know is how would you tie ( strap ) it down in the trailer.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:14 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd get a Condor like chock from HF.On sale now for $40.Get that front wheel in the chock and then you can tie off the passenger foot rests or the two brackets on the axle with good ratchet straps and you should be good to go.I pull mine 2000 miles twice a year without a problem.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Cheezyrider
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailering

I use an enclosed 6X10 and tie it down the exact way as stated and have never had a problem. Taking mine to Jacksboro, TN for a new Bushtec on March 3rd. Looking forward to sneeking in a ride after touring the factory. Unfortunatly it is then back to Michigan, the Winter Wonder Land.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Having trailered many motorcycles ive found this to be the best way..
1. Get a set of "soft ties". These double loop straps go through the lower fork trees,loop through each other and provide a secure place to hook your tie down straps. NEVER USE HANDLEBARS, ENGINE GUARDS, FOOTPEGS, FOOTBOARDS AS A SECURE LOCATION FOR TIE DOWNS...! They can fail and you're not going to like to outcome.
2. After placing the soft ties through the lower tree, attach the strap hook to the open loop of the soft tie and the other hook to a secure eye bolt/or tie down point...and adjust the tie down going from side to side. I use the ratchet type.

I also use the HF wheel chock and it works well, sometimes a little hard to back the trike out, really you could use the chock without the locking device ( the trike is not going to fall over)...Any type of brace will work well.

3. Check the bike ,trike often, they can shift around. I also tie the rear wheels to a secure point, keeps the trike from shifting from side to side...Imuse the long tie down straps, loop them through the wheels and to the secure point.

Hope this helps

Old 02-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Cheezyrider
Club Member
Default Trailering

Sorry, after my reply I thought I should have mentioned that I am using a different chock but don’t see where that matters. I had the trailer before I had the Tri Glide. I also use soft tie loops around the passenger boards and hook the tie down to them (less change of scratching or other damage). I have seen where some have tied to the crash bars but this compresses the front forks, and will on a rough road loosen the ties. I also use two four foot ramps about a third of the way up the ramp door as my exhaust would drag before I got it up the ramp door. On another note my 6X10 is a little tight and it was necessary for me to tuck inside my antenna……. Well once I forgot……. and chopped off about four inches of both the antenna. I now have installed the shorty antenna. The purchased ones, not the ones I altered. As it was my fault and not my helper (girlfriend) I had to laugh at myself but I don’t think she needed to laugh so exuberantly with me.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike, sent you a reply PM befor i saw this thread. Probably get better info from these guys and as i havent installed my tiedown points on the trailer yet. I will also be considering these posts. Always good to hear what works for others and choose from there.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:45 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Thanks guys, alot of good information here. Hopefully I will be able to tie it down and get there without incident. I will be going to school on my TG before I haul M3's TG. On second thought, maybe I will reverse the order.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

It's not rocket science..use the lower trees with soft ties, tie to a secure point, compress the forks a little, tie off the rear wheels to keep from moving side to side ( not too much as to pull the trike backwards)..and all should be fine.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:50 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by Casper
It's not rocket science..use the lower trees with soft ties, tie to a secure point, compress the forks a little, tie off the rear wheels to keep from moving side to side ( not too much as to pull the trike backwards)..and all should be fine.
If it was rocket science I sure wouldn't be able to do it. What got me to thinking is I went out to the Pingel site and they reccommend pulling both the front and rear forward. I always thought you would want to pull the front forwards and the rear to the rear.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:58 AM
TKanaley
Cruiser

I have the Pingel Cycle Jaws mounted in my 6x10 enclosed. I originally set the trailer up for hauling my Road King and haven't had the need to trailer the Trike yet, so I'm just throwing out my thoughts on the matter.

I use Ratcheting straps, soft ties, carabiners and Ancra tie down anchors http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...fCatId=&mmyId=.

Securing the front of the bike is straight forward enough, but for the rear, I'm thinking I would probably run soft ties though the rear tires (or the ratcheting strap itself) and with floor mounts attached forward (towards the front of the bike) and out from the rear tires (towards the trailer walls) just far enough so that you can work the ratchet. That should keep the rear end from dancing around as you don't need to worry about it falling over.

Quick Reply: Trailering