Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

103 cu. in. to 110 cu.in Modification

Old 03-12-2011, 04:18 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by scooty
I guess I knew the answer before I asked the question, I was just hoping for an EZ fix. The worst part of changing the cams is pulling the pipes so it's foolish to do it twice. I think the woods 555 cams look like the best that are currently available, are there any vendors that have a good price on these as well as a non-cat header or is Jamie at Fuel Moto the best route to go with everything ? ? ? THANKS AGAIN ! ! !
There are other cams out there, Andrews 54, T-Man TR-555c will also work about as well as the Wood TW-555. I went with the Woods because Fuelmoto is a forum sponsor and Jamie has taken the time to install the products, test them and post his results so folks can make an informed decision. I can say price wise Fuelmoto has pretty good pricing on the Woods cams if that is the direction you wish to go.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:06 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

I think the 120R motor would be a better choice over the 110 for the money.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:47 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Scooty, one more thing to consider if you do cams and that is the oil pump, . The Sockos went with the new relief spring to increase pressure, a very inexpensive mod and you will already have the pump removed for the cams.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icebite1
Scooty, one more thing to consider if you do cams and that is the oil pump, . The Sockos went with the new relief spring to increase pressure, a very inexpensive mod and you will already have the pump removed for the cams.
JMO, but I would have the mods done all at once. I did mine that way and had the dealer install the whole package. The labor was not that rediculous and I purchased all of the parts from my dealer with the exception of the Fuelmoto exhaust. They also installed the Baisley spring in my oil pump as Ice mentioned while the cam chest was apart.

The SE 255 cams will not void your warranty, they have the green light in the 2011 parts manual. I have found those cams with a good TTS tune to be quite enjoyable. Yes there are better cam choices, but I do not have to worry about any warranty issues.

Some of the members have had warranty problems because they did the work themselves. I am also very capable of doing engine/transmission work myself and have the proper tools. I also have detailed book with receipts for the parts and installation labor from my dealer and everything that has to do with my Tri. I have been treated very well and they have even picked up and deliverd my Tri a 30 mile trip for no fee as a convienience to me. I also slip my service advisor and tech a few bucks when I see them. Maybe that's why I'm greeted and treated well.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:05 AM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is there a big difference in performance between the HD 255 and the woods 555 and approximately how much HP and torque will these cams give you ? ? ? And as for warranty what will HD say about the non-cat header being installed also I would prefer to install the cams myself but now that you mention the warranty aspect I wonder. I just have a tough time paying the dealer $$$100 per hour to do some of these things, maybe if I buy the cams from him and suck-up a little he will approve of me doing it.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:54 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Scooty, IMO you need to drop the idea of "Big Performance Gain",not gonna happen with the mods that have been suggested here. We have gotten to where the TG runs as it should have without EPA Intervention and a couple of SNAFUs by the MoCo.
Think more on the lines of will my motor (and i quote from a late 60s fictional figure here) " Live Long and Prosper"

Old 03-12-2011, 11:08 AM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

That puts it in perspective, I know that the EPA has put such tight restrictions on bikes as well as cars that they are designed to barley run, like you said you're just allowing them run as they should. THANKS.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:32 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by tbob
I think the 120R motor would be a better choice over the 110 for the money.
Thats the direction I'd roll if I was looking at going bigger.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:33 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Scooty, IMO you need to drop the idea of "Big Performance Gain",not gonna happen with the mods that have been suggested here. We have gotten to where the TG runs as it should have without EPA Intervention and a couple of SNAFUs by the MoCo.
Think more on the lines of will my motor (and i quote from a late 60s fictional figure here) " Live Long and Prosper"
Very well said.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ice, Very well stated.

Scooty if you search in the Touring section I seem to remember Jamie from Fuelmoto doing a comparison on the SE 255's vs the Woods 555's. No doubt that the Woods cams are better. I did mine as explained and why. It was all factored into the new bike deal and would be warrantied. I only had to purchase the header and Mufflers from Jamie. My dealer would not apply for a Fuelmoto dealership as there apparently was not enough markup for them to do that just for me. I also did not like the SE and Rinehart slipons that they sell. I also read all of the sticky's on the forum and asked alot of questions from the contributing members here.

Living in S.W. Florida, heat reduction is very important and a priority in the hot hot summer. I've not done anything with the oil cooler yet as trying to decide which way to go is a bit confusing.

If you also look at many of the posts by the Socko's, you'll read about refused warranty issues they had because M3 did the work. M1 and M3, please correct me if I'm mistaken. I just chose to stay with the listed mods and HD parts to keep my warranty intact. The Fuelmoto header was not an issue with my dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 103 cu. in. to 110 cu.in Modification