Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

tri glide leans

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:18 AM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default leaner

I didn't mess with anything other than the rear frame leveling, the belt appeared to be tracking fine and I don't have the service manual yet so I have no reference for specs. Excuse my ignorance but what does the panhard rod actually adjust ? ? ? I've heard it mentioned several times and I'm really curious. Removing the body is simple so and it was worth while as it gives you a chance to see exactly what you've got.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:15 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It has been mentioned in another thread that the panhard is for side to side sway, I personally dont know for sure but that sounds right.
For ajd. you remove the shocks at the upper bolts then replace the bolts and with tires on set the distance between the upper and lower bolt at 11 1/2" with a jack under the rear frame. After that remove he lower panhard bolt which should move freely in and out of the connection, if not adj. the lower ball to make it so. Mine was 1 1/2 turns too long, i guess if its off a lot you might want to split the diff. between upper and lower. The shop manual is really handy, i have them for all my scooters.

Last edited by icebite1; 04-27-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:13 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Default leaner

I also buy all of the shop manuals I just haven't ordered the Tri Glide books yet, they are a must have as everything that you need to know is in there.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:34 PM
03 Softail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how hard is it to remove the body and do you have to take the frame off to elongate
the holes in order to level the bike.
How much do you need to elongate the hole to make the TG sit level. I'm 3/8 of an inch
off.
thanks

Attached Thumbnails tri glide leans-wheels-004.jpg  
Old 04-28-2011, 08:00 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Default leaner

The body is held on with 8 bolts, 6 are in the trunk and 1 under each side cover and a few elect. connectors. Two people can lift the body off easily. There are 8 bolts that hold the rear frame or body support in place I took all 4 out on the LH side and 3 out on the RH side and loosened the 4th, this allowed me to pull the LH side back a little bit so that I could get a pee-wee rginder into the holes to hog the bottoms out so that I could raise the LH side to match the RH side. I did not have to grind the holes on the RH side. If you are lucky you might be able to level yours without grinding if you have room left to move in the holes, maybe you can go up a little on the LH side and down a little on the RH and make it. It's not a bad job as soon as you get the body off you will see that this body support system is quite simple.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:50 AM
03 Softail
Cruiser

Scooty,
thanks for the information, very helpfull.
have a good day

Old 04-29-2011, 07:43 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior

Just a comment here, the 8 bolts for the frame support also control the lateral adj. so i suggest that you check it after you have had them all loose.

Last edited by icebite1; 04-29-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM
03 Softail
Cruiser

Scooty
The 8 frame bolts that you are talking about, those are the one's located at the top
of the frame, correct?
Also you elongated the bolt holes downward in order to raise the LH side.
How much did you have to elongate the holes, I need to raise my LH side 3/8 of an inch.
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for your help
Dan

Old 05-01-2011, 07:43 PM
TKanaley
Cruiser

First off, I wouldn't enlongenate any of the holes unless you determine that there isn't enought adjustment simply by loosening the bolts and shifting the frame. If your Tri Glide is only leaning 3/8's of an inch from fender to fender (same as mine), the actual adjustment needed at the bolts is only going to be a fraction of that. For instance, measure the distance from the rear frame members to the floor and you'll see that the measurement difference isn't anywhere close to 3/8's of an inch.

The problem with the MoCo and dealers in general, they don't think it's a problem unless your bike is leaning 3/4's of an inch or greater and even then, most would rather not do anything about it. 3/8's of an inch isnt' bad and I'm not inclined to do anything about it until I have reason to remove the body, at which time, I'll tweak it myself till it's right. If you're under warranty and dealer won't fix it, tell them to go F themself and make sure they know that you'll be spending your bling money and next motorcycle money elsewhere. That sometimes gets their attention.

Just my .02

T

Old 09-12-2012, 07:50 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior

Bumped post up for Rich B
Here is one discussion of lean on the '11 TGs, there are others around this same time. You will have to search those yourself

Last edited by icebite1; 09-12-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: tri glide leans