Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 05:28 PM
halfbreed
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery Tender

I have purchased a number of new Harley's throughought the years and have always added a Battery Tender pigtail to the battery terminals. So, I bought one and went to connect the pigtail to my new 2011 TG and discovered there is already one there. Is something Harley is doing now, or perhaps the dealer adds them. I remember when I bought the Harley brand battery tender, the pigtail which connected directly to the battery terminals did not come with the tender. Only the one with the alligator type clips was packaged with the tender.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain

From my understanding, the factory does not install the pigtail. Some dealers do this to keep the bikes on the showroom floor fully charged. My dealer usually has several bikes on Tenders whenever I go in. I figured it's too keep them ready to ride and to sell. Harder to sell a bike with a dead battery plus it's hard on the battery to let it discharge and then charge it back. It's much better to just keep them charged with a Tender.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:28 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Every HD that I have purchased came with the pig tail installed. It is an installed item by the dealer and not all dealers do it.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine came installed and tucked behind wiring between exhaust and crankcase. After melting the plug twice (careless placement while charging), I finally got wise and moved it up behind heat deflector. Since reverse motor puts such a drain on the battery (if I use it) it's a must to use the tender after a long ride and back home.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:04 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by Boom
Mine came installed and tucked behind wiring between exhaust and crankcase. After melting the plug twice (careless placement while charging), I finally got wise and moved it up behind heat deflector. Since reverse motor puts such a drain on the battery (if I use it) it's a must to use the tender after a long ride and back home.
When at home and it is sitting in the garage I always have the battery tender on it. Force of habit.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:06 PM
halfbreed
Cruiser

Thanks for your replies. That's kind of what I figured. Yes, I also keep mine on the tender when it is in the garage. They secured the end of mine on the left side behind the heat shield. I really don't like the location and I will probably relocate it when I remove the seat to install the drivers back-rest, after I purchase one.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the dealer adding it as a goodwill gesture...that how it was for me.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:29 PM
mvengineer
Advanced

I always put my bikes on the tender. I just like the feeling they are always ready when I am.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:37 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by mvengineer
I always put my bikes on the tender. I just like the feeling they are always ready when I am.
Nothing would suck more than on a nice day you want to go for a ride and find your battery dead.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:55 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

both the dealers Ive used installed the pig tails during pdi , its to get you to buy there optimiser tender,just swap them over if you have one already , or buy the same model that they sell from ebay at less cost

Quick Reply: Battery Tender