Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Loose compensator bolt/nut??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:06 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Triguy
Forgot to mention that when 30t sprocket was originally installed, I picked up the bike and it had a loud whine coming from the trans, so I rode right back, and the tech heard it and said it sounded like primary, but said it should go away in a day or two since there is some self-adjusting of the chain that can happen.
Whine did not go away, so I took it in after 2 weeks and only around a hundred miles, and after 3 hours, tech said he just had to move the chain one space, and that solved the problem, and the whine was gone.
Then it was 2 1/2 weeks after the 2nd visit, and maybe a couple of hundred miles, when the loud clanking noise started and I had it towed in. That's when they said the compensator bolt worked itself loose.
I was charged for "1 screw, hex flange" #3368, for the original 30t install, so I hope they did at least use it.
So, if I understand correctly, when the svc mgr told me that 30t job had nothing to do with the bolt coming loose, he was feeding me a lot of bull, he even showed me the diagram of the trans, and said the 30t had nothing to do with the primary area, and that it was limited to the sprocket area where the clutch is. After listening to you folks, it seems my second trip to get an adjustment was indeed regarding the primary chain tension, which is affected by the compensator???
So now how can I trust these guys. Have to find new mechanic. Can you go to ANY dealer for warranty repairs, and not just the selling dealer??
I'm really ticked by all of this and plan to visit the dealer to get a printout of what they did when they firmed up the compensator bolt.
Thanks to all for your expertise and info....You guys are really helpful!!!
Part number 3368 is the compensator bolt, I'll lay odds they tech either did a poor job cleaning the threads inside the crank or didn't torque it properly. By the sounds of it he didn't do a very good job of removing and reinstalling the primary chain tensioner since you had whine. I like the nice diplomatic way of talking to the service manager Casper suggested, nice subtle way of letting him know you know he lied to you.