Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trunk Door Surprise

Old 11-11-2011, 03:30 PM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Door Surprise

When I first got my '12 TG, I WD-40ed my trunk latch hardware based on reports of issues from others.

As I was driving in my neighborhood today, a guy in a truck rolls up next to me pointing and telling me my trunk door is open. I thanked him, pulled over on the next side street, and sure enough.....

I had locked it before I left the house. It simply popped open, lock-be-darned. I had a few more errands to run, so as I was eventually running up my driveway to my garage, I heard a funny noise. I got off after parking the trike, went around the back, and sure enough it was open again.

Thankfully, the standard contents were all there: rainsuit, fleece vest, cleaning rag, air meter, a few hand tools, and shock pump.

I pulled out the WD-40 and had a go at the guts of the lock, and it seems to be back in working trim. I will need to add this item to my monthly upkeep list.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:57 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

When I got the TG home last Sunday, I went to open the trunk and the latch is falling apart. Looks like they did a 'glue job' on the sealing gizmo. It still latches but it ain't long for this world the way it's looking.

Having read a bunch of the threads regarding TG problems, I wasn't surprised. I'll take a closer look before I run it back to Tucson...

Old 11-11-2011, 04:47 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Got to love Harley Davidson, they have a sick way of tormenting their customers.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:04 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Got to love Harley Davidson, they have a sick way of tormenting their customers.
The beauty of it is that they make people go to school to learn how to screw up machinery like that!

And the finance guy (the last beady-eye'd peddler ya gotta deal with) couldn't understand why I didn't want to pay 3500 buckazoids for 3 years' of service work ahead of time. I told him I just paid 164 dollars for all the service manuals, and that I'd been working on motorcycles before he was even a twinkle in anyone's eye.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride a 2011 TG Ultra classic. Just completed a trip to Florida and return. On the freeway, my trunk popped open. This has happened about 5 times. I am going to build a tether that will hook to the inside trunk ceiling and then hook to a connector on the trunk door. If it opens, it will not open more than an inch or two. It should not be hard to rig up and should take some of the worry about losing valuables on the highway.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 600 Likes on 323 Posts

Old 11-11-2011, 11:42 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The lid on the '09 popped open a couple of times. Took a good long look and found out that the cable didn't always release all the way, and the two latches didn't engage fully. A little WD 40 cured all the problems. Hint, when you close the lid, grab the handle and give it a tug or two. If the latched didn't engage properly it will come open THEN, not on the slab.

A friend modified and super-glued a kiddy latch for kitchen cabinets......

Old 11-12-2011, 05:57 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
A little WD 40 cured all the problems. Hint, when you close the lid, grab the handle and give it a tug or two. If the latched didn't engage properly it will come open THEN, not on the slab.
That's the best advice anyone can give.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:02 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dawg
I ride a 2011 TG Ultra classic. Just completed a trip to Florida and return. On the freeway, my trunk popped open. This has happened about 5 times. I am going to build a tether that will hook to the inside trunk ceiling and then hook to a connector on the trunk door. If it opens, it will not open more than an inch or two. It should not be hard to rig up and should take some of the worry about losing valuables on the highway.
Looks like another good manufacturing/marketing project for someone to sell. Dennis, if you're reading this, here's your opportunity.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:17 PM
ON-3
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I pulled into a restaurant in NC and put my helmet in the trunk; when I locked the trunk, the lock came apart in my hand. Pitch dark and I couldn't see a thing. The lid still closed though. When I got back to the motel and finally found my flashlight, I found that the spring clip that holds the lock in had come out. found it in the bottom of the trunk and slipped it back in. No problems since then.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trunk Door Surprise