Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Factory vs Conversion Kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by carlo
Harley only builds the Ultra Classic Tri Glide and the Street Glide FLHXXX for 2010 and 2011 model years. If you want another model Like Road King, Or Softail Model etc,etc. You have to go with a kit. Now who makes the best kit??.
Who makes the best kit? Like asking who makes the best car or truck...very subjective. This question gets asked a lot on other forums, mostly gold wing forums...I say the same as stated there....
INSTALLER, INSTALLER, INSTALLER!!! This will be the biggest factor, doesn't matter how good the kit is, installed wrong and you have a crappy trike. Do you research very well in this area!
Now, as for kits, that's up to you, body styles, trunk space, independent or solid axle..again do some serious research!
I had a Champion kit and a California Side Car kit, both served me well...
Another piece of advise, get all you can as for accessories the first time, very expensive to add stuff like aux fuel tank or parking brake or raked trees later.
Raked front end to me was a Must Have item!
Test ride as many as you can to get the feel of what you like...ask a lot of questions, BIG investment, make sure you like what you're getting and the installer has a good track record, ask for references of trikes he has built.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:27 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
I believe the TG was designed from frame up to be a trike where as the conversion is not.
I disagree with that.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zoood
I disagree with that.
Can you share why you disagree with it. I also believe that it has been engineered for a trike purpose.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:12 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zoood
I disagree with that.
I'm interested in why you disagree with that.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:56 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Early Tri-Glides were Lehman conversions that were actually done in the Lehman factory from the information I have. The complete bike was shipped Lehman, they did the conversion and sent the bike + the takeoff parts back to HD. No one could understand why HD sent a completed bike instead of sending a bike without the rearend.

Later models are being done by HD and might be purposely built to be a trike, but no doubt with most of the technology from Lehman. In comparing my 2012 Ultra to the wife's 2012 TriGlide, I can see no engineering differences that would suggest that there are any real differences except from the swingarm pin back, and the rake and stabilizer.

This information was relayed to me by the local HD dealership.

Bill

Last edited by billnourse; 12-19-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:34 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
Early Tri-Glides were Lehman conversions that were actually done in the Lehman factory from the information I have. The complete bike was shipped Lehman, they did the conversion and sent the bike + the takeoff parts back to HD. No one could understand why HD sent a completed bike instead of sending a bike without the rearend.

Later models are being done by HD and might be purposely built to be a trike, but no doubt with most of the technology from Lehman. In comparing my 2012 Ultra to the wife's 2012 TriGlide, I can see no engineering differences that would suggest that there are any real differences except from the swingarm pin back, and the rake and stabilizer.

This information was relayed to me by the local HD dealership.

Bill
Your information is not correct. Yes I know, an HD dealer giving you bad info, Never happens!

The HD touring frame was completely redone for the 2009 model year. From the tank back the frame of the TG is not the same frame as the rest of the touring bikes. Lehman installed the rear of the TG only. It was not a conversion and it is not a Lehman rear. The 2009 frame and the 2012 frame are the same. As is the rear end.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:48 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Can I play too?

Forgive my memory, it isn't that great, but seems both conversations have a lot of the truth.

I'm thinking that HD sent an incomplete build to Lehman where they installed their swing arm assembly and body then sent it back to HD for shipping to their dealerships. This was in 2009 and 2010. 2011 HD took over the complete process.

The frame for the TG is different than a UC from the end of the tank back if you look at them stripped down as I have. The frame is a little different under the seat to the swing arm attachments. Wouldn't this make the TG frame a trike only frame?

Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Little Extra'a

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Can I play too?

Forgive my memory, it isn't that great, but seems both conversations have a lot of the truth.

I'm thinking that HD sent an incomplete build to Lehman where they installed their swing arm assembly and body then sent it back to HD for shipping to their dealerships. This was in 2009 and 2010. 2011 HD took over the complete process.

The frame for the TG is different than a UC from the end of the tank back if you look at them stripped down as I have. The frame is a little different under the seat to the swing arm attachments. Wouldn't this make the TG frame a trike only frame?
Reinforced Swing Arm, a little extra rake on the front end, heavy duty compensator. Just a few touches you may not get on a conversion and don't on most. I have no dogs in this fight and believe you have some competent builders out there but some of this stuff won't get done unless you ask and pay for it.

I am still leaning toward the Tri Glide being a purpose built Trike, not just an afterthought!

I hear ya on the memory thing, they say the first two signs of getting old is loss of memory and I forget what that other thing is..

Old 12-19-2011, 08:49 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Factory HD trike are designed to be trikes not converted better built machine.
That said if a conversion has option you want nothing wrong with them.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Smitty... loved my conversion. Most here know I have never owned a TG but have tinkered with many.

If I were to put a wish list on the TG for another year model would be a better turning radius. I could take my UC conversion and do doughnuts inside a TG circle. Besides that... my next trike will probably be a TG.

Quick Reply: Factory vs Conversion Kits