Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Winter mods done!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:51 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts
Default Winter mods done!

Ok, so it's not winter. But, we didn't have any extended foul weather to take the Harley (2012 TriGlide) out of service, this past winter. My wife and I were out of town for 2 weeks, so I took this time to get some of the work done. The following is my humble list:

- removed the radio and sent it to Iron Cross Radio to have a rear audio aux connection added, and Bluetooth installed. The rear audio connection allows music on the Garmin Zumo to play through the stereo without running an audio connection to the front aux port. Bluetooth, allows music on a Bluetooth device ( I.e. Smartphone) to play through the stereo. I got Iron Cross' referral through a thread on this forum, and they were a class act outfit. Turnaround time was just as promised. The updates work perfectly, and they returned the radio to me in customer designed packaging. The Bluetooth links flawlessly.

- installed GPS Smart Tracker, by Rocky Mountain Tracking. I tapped power into the main power feed to the ignition switch, and installed the device inside the fairing. I purchased the external antennae option, and this seems to work very well. I was even able to locate it in my garage with tile roof, where my Garmin Zumo will not link to the satellites. With this tracking unit you purchase a quantity of locates. There is an iPhone app, that then let's you poll and locate the device. So, if I ever misplace my ride, or it wanders off on its own, I can locate it.

- installed the Kuryakyn passing light enabler for high beams. In the interest of better to see and be seen, this enables the spots to be turned on with the high beams.

- installed Harley Davidson dual halogen headlight. This headlight has separate high and low beam bulbs, and the low beam stays on when the high beams are turned on. I am going for improved daylight attention to cagers. IMO, the slighter yellow color of halogen bulbs provides better contrast in bright sunlight, and wider angular visibility than LEDs. That's my opinion...and I'm sticking to it. So, if/when I really want to be seen, I can turn on the spots, low beam, and high beam.

- removed the lower fairing vent doors. We don't get much rain or cold weather in San Diego, so I took them off to improve airflow over the engine. My rear seat commander thinks it looks ugly without the doors, and the big hole it leaves. Whatever....

- adjusted the highway pegs again.

- attempted to relocate my Mini Beast 2 air horn to the front frame, as it is not compatible with the FCS fans I previously installed. But, dropped the dang thing on the garage floor, and now it doesn't work anymore. I'm now considering the Mini Beast 1 which is smaller than the MB2, and install it on the front frame.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:36 AM
ZBear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool Stuff. I ended up installing my Stebel in the cavern under the seat. Just a challenge to get it raised from the bottom and getting fat hands in there to install. It is plenty loud enough from there.