Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide or trike a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:07 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Default Tri-Glide or trike a bike?

As y'all can see I'm new to this forum and the reason I chose to join this forum is that I currently own Harley's and lately trikes have been attracting my attention.

Reading the posts, I think I have some questions that I hope can be answered by the current owners of a Tri-Glide.

My first question is, would you buy a 2013 Tri-Glide or would you prefer to buy the H-D of your choice and then have it "triked" with an aftermarket kit such as Lemen or Roadsmith?
From what I have gathered, the after market trike "kits" add about a foot in wheelbase over the Tri-Glide, and offers the owner the choice of a bike other than an Ultra Classic, and perhaps they would have less brake problems, etc

I have an older Ultra and it has always been my plan to buy a 2013 Anniversary model bike and if H-D doesn't offer the Tri-Glide in Anniversay mode I could get it triked and paint matched to an Anniversary model.

My second question is, since this may be my last motorcycle purchase would it be advisable to have the Stage II kit installed at the time of purchase?

Does the extended coverage warranty the engine with this kit installed?

Old 04-05-2012, 04:29 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
As y'all can see I'm new to this forum and the reason I chose to join this forum is that I currently own Harley's and lately trikes have been attracting my attention.

Reading the posts, I think I have some questions that I hope can be answered by the current owners of a Tri-Glide.

My first question is, would you buy a 2013 Tri-Glide or would you prefer to buy the H-D of your choice and then have it "triked" with an aftermarket kit such as Lemen or Roadsmith?
From what I have gathered, the after market trike "kits" add about a foot in wheelbase over the Tri-Glide, and offers the owner the choice of a bike other than an Ultra Classic, and perhaps they would have less brake problems, etc

I have an older Ultra and it has always been my plan to buy a 2013 Anniversary model bike and if H-D doesn't offer the Tri-Glide in Anniversay mode I could get it triked and paint matched to an Anniversary model.

My second question is, since this may be my last motorcycle purchase would it be advisable to have the Stage II kit installed at the time of purchase?

Does the extended coverage warranty the engine with this kit installed?

If you take a 2 wheel bike and trike it HD will void the warranty.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:46 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

Voided warranty and costs would be prohibitive for me. An Ultra runs about 22,500 before taxes and dealer set-up charges. Then you add 12-15 K for a trike kit. Hell, you're looking at 35-39K with taxes and such. I'd rater buy a production model with warranty.

Bubba

Old 04-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Rox
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same questions when looking at trikes. Converting my Ultra would void my warranty. I wanted a new bike, and converting would have cost me an extra $10,000. So it seemed to make sense to get the TriGlide for $10,000 less of a conversion and get full warranty. So far, I've had no regrets or problems with my TriGlide.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 AM
bjsfla
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by rox
i had the same questions when looking at trikes. Converting my ultra would void my warranty. I wanted a new bike, and converting would have cost me an extra $10,000. So it seemed to make sense to get the triglide for $10,000 less of a conversion and get full warranty. So far, i've had no regrets or problems with my triglide.
ditto!!!

Old 04-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer

I've had two different trikes, one with a Lehman kit and one with a Champion kit. They served their purpose, but both kits voided the Honda warranty and many dealers across the country would not service them, when even I was in an emergency repair situation...go figure. I learned my lesson and now ride the TG below in my signature. It is the best and handles best, in my opinion. I am getting ready to extend the warranty for another 5 years. The TG is the best trike decision, by far.

Now re: 2013 TG. We don't yet know what the TG will look like in 2013. I hope they are liquid cooled and maybe go to the 110 engine. One can dream, but if they stay the same it is still a great ride.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:19 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Thanks for the replies.
I see that I'm not alone in seeking more info about trikes.

So, would y'all recommend the Stage II kit ?
My understanding is that if you have it installed by the dealer before you take delivery of the bike/trike that the warranty/extended warranty is not voided. Is this true?

BWT, has anyone ever owned a Voyager or Richland trike attachment?

Thanks again.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:06 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

It's all money. If you have a fairly new Ultra that is paid for, pretty nearly any Conversion will fit the bill. You do have to dance around warranty issues, but our local dealer does the install on Lehman kits, and will honor any warranty problems Harley or Lehman.

Now, the Voyager. Whole different ball game. You are talking toys. Besides looking awful you end up with a motorcycle with training wheels. I guess if you are really broke and just can't ride that old motorcycle anymore they would be an alternative, but I sure wouldn't do it. Good Luck, and happy decision making.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:44 PM
WalterM817
Tourer

We bought the triglide after riding several Golding conversions. It just seemed more stabil on the road to me. Warrantee wise Harley sells and makes it all so they cover it. This is not the case with other combinations.
A bit more room can be had by moving the tour pack back a few inches if needed. There are a ton of Harley and aftermarket things if you need them and they will fit and be available.
Resale seems to be good on all trike brands. Just remember these critters are heavy so do not expect motorcycle type performance out of the trike. They will run but not like a two wheeler.
Maybe you could rent one for a day and see how it fits. We love ours. My wife won't get on any of our other bike after riding on the rear of the trike.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:03 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
It's all money. If you have a fairly new Ultra that is paid for, pretty nearly any Conversion will fit the bill. You do have to dance around warranty issues, but our local dealer does the install on Lehman kits, and will honor any warranty problems Harley or Lehman.

Now, the Voyager. Whole different ball game. You are talking toys. Besides looking awful you end up with a motorcycle with training wheels. I guess if you are really broke and just can't ride that old motorcycle anymore they would be an alternative, but I sure wouldn't do it. Good Luck, and happy decision making.
Steve: You must tremember that only your dealer will honor the warranty. If you are out on the road and it breaks down and another dealer gets oinvolved there will not be a warranty. Even your dealer would not be able to warranty a problem of yours if a factory rep has to come out and get involved.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide or trike a bike?