Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri Glide Rear Tires

Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Trikermutha
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the 60 versus the 65.. dunlops Comfort tread and run them at 32 lbs..Much better tire IMO for the trigide..

Old 01-06-2014, 08:07 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Yiles! 32* psi?

Old 01-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Trikermutha
Novice

the PSI works great with these tires..The tires are made to absorb the road bumps..

Old 01-06-2014, 03:47 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

I'll have to remember that. Always looking for a softer ride.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:06 PM
sparky_okc
Stage IV

Originally Posted by T K Glider
As light as the TG is all the tire in the world will stop hydroplaning or traction.Mine OEM's are working well.Just slow up a bit in risky conditions.

Dude, you are FUNNY, how about doing 50mph in a 70mph zone and having your *** end swing out into the other lane!

Have 8,000 miles on a 2014 tri glide ultra and the tires still have the rubber spikes on them!

WE DID SLOW UP, this trike is DANGEROUS in rain.

Was pulling a hill when my rear end went out more that once! Could not hang with the two-wheel bikes! I caught up at the next gas station.

At first it was pretty cool, having 3 wheels but that hydroplane is TOO MUCH.

Looking for a set of all season tires, not just hot and dry tires...

Old 10-08-2014, 08:23 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Here's my experience. Two years ago coming home from Rolling Thunder on the Cherohala Skyway on my 2012 TG, I was coming to the end of the days ride and it started pouring. I mean POURING. I was going to pull over but thought it may rain for hours and I didn't have the luxury of waiting that long, so I just slowed down to about 35/40 mph(depending if I was on the straights or the turns) and ducked down behind the windshield. All the other traffic, cars and bikes, were pulled off onto the overlooks. I had no hydroplaning or any other problems what so ever....even on the tight turns. The TG was rock solid at all times.

I'm glad the motel still had the heat turned on (June) - it took all night for my boots to dry out sitting on the vents.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a lot of TG experience riding in the rain. Never once did I feel unsafe or the *** end get squirrely on me. The TG, IMHO, is one of the safest machines I have ever owned.

Just to be asking Sparky...did you by chance run cruise control while in those conditions? I have to think your problem was operator error.

Like I said this is only my experience with the TG. If you are sure not operator error then I would highly suggest you take it to the dealer or a independent you trust and check it over for mechanical or tire failure.

Rax

Old 10-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

It is quite true, any trike will hydroplane in extreme wet weather, I have a Gold Wing trike do it going up a Mountian, felt the rear tires break loose and just let off the throttle and little and she settled right down. Now, in heavy rain, I always back off the gas and travel a little slower, not dangerously slow...but at or a little below the posted speed limit..

But I've had it happen in a four wheel vehicle too...and that was operator error...dumb me!

There is little weight in the rear of any trike, so they will get on top of the water...easy does it is the rule of thumb.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:31 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

I have all my tools back there plus all my rain and cold weather gear. So it's pretty heavy. I have never hydroplaned in my life - car or bike. Of course I've never rode 80 mph in the rain either.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Here's my experience. Two years ago coming home from Rolling Thunder on the Cherohala Skyway on my 2012 TG, I was coming to the end of the days ride and it started pouring. I mean POURING. I was going to pull over but thought it may rain for hours and I didn't have the luxury of waiting that long, so I just slowed down to about 35/40 mph(depending if I was on the straights or the turns) and ducked down behind the windshield. All the other traffic, cars and bikes, were pulled off onto the overlooks. I had no hydroplaning or any other problems what so ever....even on the tight turns. The TG was rock solid at all times.

I'm glad the motel still had the heat turned on (June) - it took all night for my boots to dry out sitting on the vents.

Same here. Hit a tropical storm in the panhandle of FL in June '12 on I10. Had to follow a tour bus tail lights so I could see where I was going. My 2010 TG was rock solid 'til I could get to a motel.