Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri Glide Rear Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 03:46 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,250 Likes on 11,136 Posts
Default Tri Glide Rear Tires

I am new to this forum, and expect my new 2012 Red Sunglo/Merlot Tri Glide in my garage in the new few days. Apparently the truck driver got lost somewhere in the mid-West. Anyhow, I have a question. I know the trike comes with Dunlop Signature 205/65R15s in the rear. But, I am not sure if they are the "Sports" or the standard Signatures. The Sports are rated decently on "the tire website", where as the standards are not.

Can someone tell me what version of Signatures are in the rear?

What alternate rear rubber do you have good experience with? I don't care too much about noise, but want good tracking and exceptional breaking dry and wet and low hydroplaning as I am in the Pacific North.

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2012, 05:04 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I am new to this forum, and expect my new 2012 Red Sunglo/Merlot Tri Glide in my garage in the new few days. Apparently the truck driver got lost somewhere in the mid-West. Anyhow, I have a question. I know the trike comes with Dunlop Signature 205/65R15s in the rear. But, I am not sure if they are the "Sports" or the standard Signatures. The Sports are rated decently on "the tire website", where as the standards are not.

Can someone tell me what version of Signatures are in the rear?

What alternate rear rubber do you have good experience with? I don't care too much about noise, but want good tracking and exceptional breaking dry and wet and low hydroplaning as I am in the Pacific North.

Thanks!
I would assume they are the standard, you know how low bid works. I've had no problems here in the rain forest with them at all, course I'm not seeing 70/80 mph either.
Butch

Old 05-04-2012, 06:06 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I and M3 have ridden in some really heavy down pours without any problems. But you know as well as I do we could get into a hydroplane condition very easily.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,250 Likes on 11,136 Posts
Default Tire Decision Made

I confirmed that my new soon to arrive Tri-Glide is shipped with standard Dunlop Signature tires. Based on my research of several tires sites, they are not the best (actually not good) for either wet or dry traction...and they are not high on hydroplaning resistance. I purchased a pair of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires at my local chain tire store that my HD dealer will swap out on my Tri-Glide. The Pilot's are rated much better than the signatures. There are other brands that are rated better, but I prefer Michelins.

Waiting for the call that my Tri-Glide has arrived!

Old 05-07-2012, 03:48 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As light as the TG is all the tire in the world will stop hydroplaning or traction.Mine OEM's are working well.Just slow up a bit in risky conditions.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:59 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I confirmed that my new soon to arrive Tri-Glide is shipped with standard Dunlop Signature tires. Based on my research of several tires sites, they are not the best (actually not good) for either wet or dry traction...and they are not high on hydroplaning resistance.
I'd say of the 17,000+ miles I have on my 2010 Triglide there has to be around 7,000 or more miles riding in the rain. I've ridden in rains where the cars have pulled off the road, last year my dad and I both road 8 hours one day in a pretty heavy rain while running 75 mph in the freeway with no Hydroplaning. I've only had a Trike hydroplane on me 1 time and that was hitting a pretty good sized puddle of water. As for dry traction, I think they do pretty decent considering I can pick the front end up on my Triglide, if they had poor dry traction they would just spin.

I'm sure there are better tires out there, but to me its not worth searching or fiddling with and I'm no shrinking violet when it comes to hammering corners or getting aggressive when I want to. I'm happy enough with the performance of the factory tires I just bought 2 new rear tires to install on a set of Performance Machine wheels. I didn't want to dismount the tires from the factory rims so I just bought new tires.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:21 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

I confirmed that my new soon to arrive Tri-Glide is shipped with standard Dunlop Signature tires. Based on my research of several tires sites, they are not the best (actually not good) for either wet or dry traction...and they are not high on hydroplaning resistance. I purchased a pair of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires at my local chain tire store that my HD dealer will swap out on my Tri-Glide. The Pilot's are rated much better than the signatures. There are other brands that are rated better, but I prefer Michelins.

Waiting for the call that my Tri-Glide has arrived!
I have no complaints with the tires on the Tri-Glide, I've have excellent traction in both wet and dry conditions.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:27 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Originally Posted by T K Glider
As light as the TG is all the tire in the world will stop hydroplaning or traction.Mine OEM's are working well.Just slow up a bit in risky conditions.
If I think right, the lighter the vehicle is the easier it will hydroplane and the wider the tire is the easier the tire will hydroplane, right?
Butch

Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know mine isnt a Triglide but I do have wider rear tires and havent had any hydroplaning issues for the 4 yrs I have had my trike when riding in the rain. And I have been in some serious down pours!!!

Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are correct.Trucks with those fat tires have more traction issues than narrower tires because the per square inch weight is less the wider the tire.On the hydroplaning issue any vehicle may hydroplane depending on conditions.But the lighter the vehicle and the wider the tread the more easy it will lose traction.

Last edited by T K Glider; 05-07-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Tri Glide Rear Tires