Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Raising the Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Glad you're liking them.

Next time you are out on a ride, see if you notice any difference in the air coming up over the top front of the tank.
I would certainly be interested in that also.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:42 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you're liking them.

Next time you are out on a ride, see if you notice any difference in the air coming up over the top front of the tank.
I just got cleared to ride late today(had hernia surgery last week) and did go for a short one on my trike.
I will see if I can ****** her TG tomorrow morning for a spin and let you know.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:33 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior

OK, I took the wifes TG for a spin this morning and didnt notice any air coming over the front of the tank but this being the wifes I hardly ever ride it so cant remember what it was befor, also she has the mid air deflector on it from tglide stuff.
I have the tank lift ordered for my SoftTail so when I put that one on ill be able to tell any difference in air flow.
Just being able to clean the nice chrome rockerboxes is enough for me.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:35 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by icebite1
OK, I took the wifes TG for a spin this morning and didnt notice any air coming over the front of the tank but this being the wifes I hardly ever ride it so cant remember what it was befor, also she has the mid air deflector on it from tglide stuff.
I have the tank lift ordered for my SoftTail so when I put that one on ill be able to tell any difference in air flow.
Ah, did not know you had the fork baffle on there already.

Don't know how much difference it will make on your Softail, will be interesting to see if you notice any difference.

On Batwing bikes (that don't have a fork baffle), with a tank lift it does reduce the air over the top of the tank...no objective measurements, and it does not get rid of it completely, but I have noticed a significant reduction.

Bet it was good to be back in the wind after getting cut on.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-31-2012, 03:48 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Being as **** as I am about keeping my bike clean I got this terrible feeling M3 will be doing that this winter.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:31 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior

Yup, good to be on the bike again even after only a short time off.
Mike, Do it now, it will only take 20-30 minutes and go for the 2"

Old 08-31-2012, 06:56 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Yup, good to be on the bike again even after only a short time off.
Mike, Do it now, it will only take 20-30 minutes and go for the 2"
When I had my hernia surgery it was closer to 2 weeks off, but back then I was on 2 wheels only.

Not sure a 2" will work with the stock bars and the 6 gallon tank...depends on how they are adjusted. If they are rotated back at all, might have a clearance problem with the 2".

Old 09-01-2012, 05:21 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

When I had my hernia surgery it was closer to 2 weeks off, but back then I was on 2 wheels only.

Not sure a 2" will work with the stock bars and the 6 gallon tank...depends on how they are adjusted. If they are rotated back at all, might have a clearance problem with the 2".
I don't have the stock bars. I have the 2" pull back bars installed. Will that create me and problems>>

Old 09-01-2012, 07:03 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior

Mike, Try swinging your handel bars side to side and measure the closest distance from tank to bars each side. I couldnt put them on my FatBob because of pullback risers but you went with handelbars.

Kevin, I thought you put 2" on your TG. Looks to be plenty of room for more lift on wifes TG .

Old 09-01-2012, 01:56 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
I don't have the stock bars. I have the 2" pull back bars installed. Will that create me and problems>>
Like Charlie said, the only way to know for sure is to check. Another factor is that the tank can move forward and backard on the rear tab mounts (which reduces or increases tank clearance).

So to really check for max clearance you can remove the seat, loosen the two bolts at the rear tank mounts. Then remove the front tank mount bolts, slide the tank all the way back on the rear tabs, then see how far you can lift up your tank and still have handlebar clearance.

Mike, Try swinging your handel bars side to side and measure the closest distance from tank to bars each side. I couldnt put them on my FatBob because of pullback risers but you went with handelbars.

Kevin, I thought you put 2" on your TG. Looks to be plenty of room for more lift on wifes TG .
I don't have the stock bars on my TG anymore. I did install the 2" and have about a 1/4" clearance between the bars and the tank at full lock.

Quick Reply: Raising the Gas Tank