Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

The Dyer Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:38 PM
bootshd
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Dyer Chronicles

Ok, I was looking at how others have gone about installing their H-D Trike Saddlebags and cam across a thread that BinIdaho started ( https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...addlebags.html ) A member named Gary Dyer cam in on the thread about the nightmare he ended up in by getting a Dealer to install his. I know in the very end, it all was good. Well at least better. But I did'nt want to go through the same thing....

I started out by calling four of the H-D Dealers in my area to get a cost for the install and at the same time asked how many of the Trike Saddlebags they had installed and if the customer was happy with the install....

Well this is where it gets, well lets say interesting. Out of all Four dealers (Keystone H-D, Williams H-D, Tremonton H-D, and Schochs H-D) none had installed the Trike Saddlebags, and all gave a differant price for the install. From one hour labor to one hour forty five min. When I asked if the install would be done correctly, they all gave the same reply. The Trike Saddlebags would be installed per Harley's instructions.

After doing the above research with my dealers I was going to just install them myself and say heck with it. Well after cutting out Harley's template and laying it on the trike I was not comfortable with it at all. I taped out both sides of the templates and marked them with a sharpie. Then went over and took measurements. Between both side they were off by 3/16".....

Then I came across a company called "See Through Braz" that hase a Drilless method of mounting the Trike Saddlebags. I called the company and ended up talking to the owner who went through the entire install over the phone with me. I ordered the mounting system and will be installing it asap. No Holes to drill at all and no hassle with the bags being installed wrong.

Will update with photo's after install is complete.......

Last edited by bootshd; 09-26-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:11 PM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$400 and they can hold two soda cans each?

...and they're hard to get on correctly.....

Personally, I just said no.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:18 PM
STG246
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TaylorMcStrat
$400 and they can hold two soda cans each?

...and they're hard to get on correctly.....

Personally, I just said no.

My opinion too

Old 09-26-2012, 04:16 PM
bootshd
Cruiser

I must say at first I thought the same way, to much money for to little storage....

But the wife gave me an option. Carry what she needed on my person, or get the bags. The bags won out........

Last edited by bootshd; 09-26-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:53 PM
lzski326
Cruiser

I dont think they look the best but the wife loves thems so thats what counts

Old 09-26-2012, 09:49 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A $6 knapsack would hold more, price a soft cooler.They have to rub your paint,$400.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:06 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

To all you naysayers.....the mini-saddlesbags on the tri-glide hold quite a bit of "stuff"!!!! Easy to get to a bottle of water, cigs, pen/paper, electrical tape and whatnot, all without opening the tour pak lid. Go ahead, ask me how I know And, does NOT scratch the paint.

bootshd....glad you found an alternative.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:15 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
To all you naysayers.....the mini-saddlesbags on the tri-glide hold quite a bit of "stuff"!!!! Easy to get to a bottle of water, cigs, pen/paper, electrical tape and whatnot, all without opening the tour pak lid. Go ahead, ask me how I know And, does NOT scratch the paint.

If you like them Barbara then I'm with you.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:02 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho

IMO
To all you cheapies out there it is your money, be as cheap as you want.
For myself and the wife we dont count pennies when we like something.
I installed the HD bags on wifes TG after having on a pair of soft bags I put on in that location for a year. The hard bags hold more and are so easy to open and close and to remove if need arises.
I also tried the templates and didnt like what i saw so just jockeyed them around a little bit and got everything where I looked good to us.
Bottom line is the wife loves them, thats priceless to me.
Oh yes, how much do they hold? Did you ever see a woman dump her purse out? I think you get the idea.

bootshd, hope you post some pics of your soulution/alternative mounting.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Rockwall TG John
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

icebite1, smart man, give the woman what she wants. You are not going to take it with you.

Quick Reply: The Dyer Chronicles