Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Lovin the new Tri-Glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 PM
daurwid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Lovin the new Tri-Glide

6/28/12: Tri-Glide just rolled off the delivery truck @ Waugh Enterprises Harley-Davidson. Before going into the shop. Already I'm itching to go for a ride.

7/10/12-7/20/12: Tri-Glide getting worked on in the Service Department @ Waugh Enterprises Harley-Davidson.  Thanks to Jaime, the Service Tech, I got all my accessories I wanted added on before picking up.

Chrome Fan Kit: 91196-08
Fascia with Light 84023-11
Adjustable Rider Backrest Mounting Kit 54099-10
Adjustable Riders Backrest 52501-09A
Chrome Rear Guard 83825-09A
Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack - Chrome 79179-08
Heated Handgrips - Black Rubber 56100034
Rider Footboard Heel Guard 50500225
Air Wing Rack LED Light Kit 68271-08A
Tour-Pak Brake Light/Running Light/Turn Signal Kit 69200042A
Headlamp Modulation Kit 67700139
screamin’ eagleŽ Pro suPer tuner 32109-08B
Reduced Reach Seat 52619-08A
Heated Gear Lead 98536-04V
Dyna Air Cleaner Adapter 29392-08
Dyna 103ci Air Cleaner Cover 28725-10
103 Cubic Inch Air Cleaner Trim 61300033
Transparent Paint Guard Kit 83989-10

7/30/12: First 500 mile service complete!
All pretty washed and waxed up for my pickup.

Last edited by daurwid; 10-02-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 PM
daurwid
Tourer

Quirks Pre-First Service:

First night home was an interesting experience. Ride home was awesome!

I attempted to make the reverse go up a slight incline into the garage. It did not like this much effort so soon it seems since I heard a small pop after which reverse would no longer respond. Got it up to the dealership in the morning and was shown the amazing starter motor that powers reverse and the big fat circuit breaker under the side panel. Reset the breaker and reverse was working again.

I ended up popping the reverse motor circuit a few times. I think now that I've put miles on it and used it a few times it now no longer pops as easily. Basic fix was - reset the breaker and keep using it.

Second issue: Trunk door would not stay closed unless locked. I travel over some bumpy back roads and he lock was probably just popping open due to being so new. I mentioned it during my first service and they reseated/re-oiled it and it has not done it since. Although I do now have a good habit of locking it before stepping away.

Third issue: Pinging or tinging coming from the right rear tire/wheel well. It is an extremely high pitched noise. Can be heard on hard/sharp turns and at certain RPM ranges with certain vibrations, not all the time. Found it was the parking brake. While disengaged the pins and locking parts are loose enough to jiggle in their seats causing the high pinging notes. It can be easily missed if you do not have higher pitched sensitive hearing or have upgraded the exhaust and/or turned up the audio system. Over time it's not occuring as much as I believe the pins settle after a while.

Fourth issue: Squealing brakes. I'm sure it's because they are new and I've heard a few other Tri-Glides make this same squealing noise. Everything looks good, rotors/pads. I do not notice it as much now that I've put miles on the brakes. It is noticable at slow speeds and quick stops but is no longer as loud as it was.

I had all these issues checked out at my first 500 mile service. Did Syn3 with my service.

Pre 2500 Mile Service Quirks:

Issue: Parking brake is not holding the vehicle stable at all. I was on a slight incline maybe 10-15 degree incline and it started rolling backwards in neutral with just the parking brake on. Threw it into first gear so it wouldn't roll down the small incline. Will have them check this out at my next service.

Issue: The ride has been getting rougher and rougher. I had forgotten to mention this but during the first 500 miles, I checked out my rear air suspension only to realize I needed the hand pump. I did check the pressure though and found it was at 10 PSI. After looking at some forums and purchasing a small hand air pump, I went with 25 PSI. This seemed to work for a while. Then after about 2500 miles, my wife and I were on a ride and we both felt like it was running rougher than usual. Pulled over at a gas station to take a break and both of us were more wore out than usual from the short ride. I grabbed the hand pump and found that the rear had leaked back down to 10 PSI. I had recently shared the location of the air suspension port to another Tri-Glide owner. He had informed me the ride was so much smoother while he was running 45 PSI. I figured I'd at least try out 40 PSI. On the ride home from the gas station it was the smoothest ride we have both had yet on the Tri-Glide. I will have the service guys check the air suspension on my next service to make sure there are no leaks. I was worried that the ride would be too stiff for me but 40 PSI has been working quite well. I do not recommend running 15 PSI or below. I have a feeling that tire pressure can also be adjusted to avoid a rough ride in combination with the air suspension.

2500 Mile Service:

Got the full 2500 mile service plus added some extremely discussed addons.

DK-TRG-TLK-15 - 1.5 Inch Touring Model Tank Lift Kit
DK-DLXO-SFTO - Deluxe Option Harley-Davidson Touring & Softail Models
DK-TRI-LFKT - Tri-Glide Suspension Lift Kit
K&P-S4 - Reusable Billet Oil Filter for Harley Davidson Powder Coated
RAM-B-174-202U - RAM Mounting Systems Double Ball Brake/Clutch Reservoir Mount with Aqua Box Adapter
RAM-HOL-AQ1U - RAM Mounting Systems Large Aqua Box
CVO 2012 SE Touring Mufflers
I was going to add a K&P-S4 - Reusable Billet Oil Filter for Harley Davidson Powder Coated but ended up being talked out of installing it. That's ok. I'm sure I'll come up with something.

All the parts went on just fine, with one exception. The SE mufflers had to be dented to fit the area properly. They are slightly larger than the stock ones. The lift does help but it would end up hitting the pipes at every bounce.

First thing I noticed from the new parts was the seating position is adjusted. I like it a lot more as the seat has a more cupped position for my padless ***. The tank lift and the rear lift clearly adjust how I'm seated on the tri-glide, especially since I have a reduced reach seat. You can see in the pictures how far up angled the nose of the seat it.

Second, it rode smoother. Initially the first 5 miles were a little stiff. I had put the rear suspension up to 40PSI a week ago since both my wife and I noticed a very rough ride for that day. When we stopped at a gas station to take a break and I decided to check on the PSI and found my first adjustment to 25PSI had already dropped down to 10-12PST within a 15 days or so. The ride home on 40PSI was stiffer but a smoother and better overall ride. With the 1.25inch lift in the rear I can drop the PSI to 22 or 25 for an even smoother ride. Just going to have to check it regularly.

Third: The PIpes rock! A sweet low throaty rumble tone when you're on the throttle and a subdued idle.

Fourth: Road handling and turns just seemed easier. I did not feel like I was tipping to one side or the other when turning nearly as much as before.

Fifth: I was hearing what sounds like a pinging noise coming from the parking brake. It seems to like to jiggle when disengaged. Well it's much better now but still pings some.

Lookin good!

Last edited by daurwid; 10-02-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:57 PM
daurwid
Tourer

11/21/12: I was in a accident with my Tri-Glide. Details don't really matter, I'm alive and still kicking. So read about my damage and repairs:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/10580306-post18.html

11/29/12: Update on repair and accessory addons with photos.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/10608237-post27.html

12/7/12: New 2" Pull back handlebars are on and the final six-speed cover is on. Damn it looks good and I'm ready to ride.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/10635394-post30.html

12/7/12:Another update. Inner fairing is getting into place and the exhaust is on.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/10638194-post31.html

12/8/12: Trike is done thanks to Jaime and all the employees at Waugh Enterprises Harley-Davidson!
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/10641630-post32.html

Last edited by daurwid; 12-08-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: New post
Old 09-27-2012, 11:57 PM
daurwid
Tourer

another reserved spot for later later

Old 09-28-2012, 01:58 PM
azbob09
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

How do you keep the water bottle holder fastened at the bottom so it doesn't viberate & marr the paint around it?
I have one from my limited that mounted around the saddle bag guards & would like to use it.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:15 PM
daurwid
Tourer

Originally Posted by azbob09
How do you keep the water bottle holder fastened at the bottom so it doesn't viberate & marr the paint around it?
I have one from my limited that mounted around the saddle bag guards & would like to use it.
Thank you for asking that. I left it out of my first posts. Will add it shortly but here's the info:

I purchased Transparent Paint Guard Kit 83989-10 and had it installed before I bought it.

Transparent Paint Guard Kit 83989-10
This transparent skin is designed to protect parts of the Trike bodywork from boot scuffs and road debris. The 12 pieces of crystal-clear material (6 per side) protect the area surrounding the passenger footboard, and are pre-cut to fit the leading and inner surface of the rear fender, the fascia panel of the trunk, and the side covers. The application process is similar to that of tinted window film, and the material can be removed and replaced when it is no longer cosmetically appealing. Fits '09-later Trike models. This kit is not recommended for denim paint. MSRP US $129.95
Then I made sure all the bottom snaps were done so that only the leather was curled out. It will rub the clear strip and not the paint. However it absolutely depends on where the clear guards are placed to not scuff paint. I also make sure that the top snaps are done on the first set and not the second. If you're not happy with initial placement, reverse which side which bag is on for your best fit.

I was unwilling to drill holes into the panels for the H-D saddlebags and both my wife and I like having the water bottles.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:23 PM
azbob09
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

O.K. that makes sense. Thanks....

Old 09-30-2012, 03:01 PM
BigBill1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful Tri. You and the wife ride safe.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:05 PM
daurwid
Tourer

Originally Posted by BigBill1
Beautiful Tri. You and the wife ride safe.
Thank you and to you too!

Old 09-30-2012, 06:26 PM
ALPHONSO
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love your air cleaner cover! What did it take to get it to fit?

Quick Reply: Lovin the new Tri-Glide