Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 PM
prider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem?

Hi, I am a relatively new rider and a new owner of a used 2011 Tri Glide. I am not able to do much mechanical work and have limited mechanical knowledge, especially as related to bikes. Therefore I know that I will pay. But some information will help the paying pill go down.

So here is my inquiry. Recently on an out of town trip I started hearing and feeling a chatter while taking off in 1st gear. Stopped at a Dealer and was told the problem was probably the automation tensioner.

Arrived home and went to a local dealer....Stated that previous opinion was bull it was the compensator and could not be adjusted but must be replaced as it would damage all parts of the drive train. And even tho I have HD Extended warranty it was not covered. I spoke to a person with huge experience with HD he felt it was a waste of money to replace the compensator with one from HD as it would not stop the problem. That there is an upgrade that is much better.

I am not asking what the compensator does or how it works just, info on the best way to handling the problem..

Ride Safe.....Ride Smart
Tom

Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 PM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would contact Harley-Davidson Customer Service. Tell them your problem, the dealers you have visited to fix it, and ask them to help you. They will give you a case # for the dealership to work with. It has helped me in the past. Hope this helps you.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by prider
Hi, I am a relatively new rider and a new owner of a used 2011 Tri Glide. I am not able to do much mechanical work and have limited mechanical knowledge, especially as related to bikes. Therefore I know that I will pay. But some information will help the paying pill go down.

So here is my inquiry. Recently on an out of town trip I started hearing and feeling a chatter while taking off in 1st gear. Stopped at a Dealer and was told the problem was probably the automation tensioner.

Arrived home and went to a local dealer....Stated that previous opinion was bull it was the compensator and could not be adjusted but must be replaced as it would damage all parts of the drive train. And even tho I have HD Extended warranty it was not covered. I spoke to a person with huge experience with HD he felt it was a waste of money to replace the compensator with one from HD as it would not stop the problem. That there is an upgrade that is much better.

I am not asking what the compensator does or how it works just, info on the best way to handling the problem..

Ride Safe.....Ride Smart
Tom
It is total BS that the extended warranty will not replace the compensator. I had mine replaced last September under the extended warranty.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 AM
prider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I called a Dealer that was recommended, all though a little ways from me, Gator Harley they said that not only is the compensator covered but the upgrade from stock is covered also. I will make an appointment in a few days.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:14 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info. I called a Dealer that was recommended, all though a little ways from me, Gator Harley they said that not only is the compensator covered but the upgrade from stock is covered also. I will make an appointment in a few days.
So do you or does anyone else know what the " upgrade from stock" is??

Old 01-11-2013, 05:18 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by icebite1
So do you or does anyone else know what the " upgrade from stock" is??
My understanding about the upgrade is they are installing the one they put into the 2012 and calling that an upgrade,

Old 01-11-2013, 08:44 PM
lzski326
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I wonder what that's going to cost me, without a warrenty. Mine is getting louder.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Ride Safe.....Ride Smart
Tom
Hey guys.... was the real problem missed here?

Yes, some of us are having compensator issues and it could be that. Did anyone think it could be as simple as a clutch adjustment, weak spring or that he may have one of the bad clutch assemblies?

My '12 clutch chattered from a dead stop in first gear. It was the clutch adjustment. Riding in hot weather it came back. Installed the CW and a SE Spring which seemed to totally stop the chatter.

Does the compensator chatter? Does it make a chatter that you can feel? When you take off in first then suddenly get off the throttle and back on you can hear a slap but that is the primary chain adjuster. When a compensator goes bad you can hear a pop when you turn the motor off.

Don't claim to know it all but instead of concentrating on extended warranty maybe we should be concentrating on discussing what the real issue is?

Just say'n

Old 01-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard

Yes, some of us are having compensator issues and it could be that. Did anyone think it could be as simple as a clutch adjustment, weak spring or that he may have one of the bad clutch assemblies?

My '12 clutch chattered from a dead stop in first gear. It was the clutch adjustment. Riding in hot weather it came back. Installed the CW and a SE Spring which seemed to totally stop the chatter.

Does the compensator chatter? Does it make a chatter that you can feel? When you take off in first then suddenly get off the throttle and back on you can hear a slap but that is the primary chain adjuster. When a compensator goes bad you can hear a pop when you turn the motor off.

Don't claim to know it all but instead of concentrating on extended warranty maybe we should be concentrating on discussing what the real issue is?

Just say'n
When I first read Prider's FP and the two statements he quoted from the service Representatives said the same thing to me that you are saying. However it appeared he was at their mercy. That is why they are out front. To make money. The bike needs to be ridden to get an idea what the problem is and if it truly is chattering when you pull out in the proper gear the first place to start would be the clutch and then only after a quick check on the obvious external rear drive train on a trike to insure it's not something dragging the power down. The clutches of these bike are built for a tank but who knows what a user has done to them. An out of adjustment clutch and one big mountain can overheat and warp the steel plates. A proper adjusted one and proper use can result in one that even with 40K mile shows no measurable wear with each plate measured with and outside micrometer that measure within .001 of an inch.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:06 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard

When a compensator goes bad you can hear a pop when you turn the motor off. .Don't claim to know it all but instead of concentrating on extended warranty .maybe we should be concentrating on discussing what the real issue is?

Just say'n
How true your observation is.

Last edited by oldmsocko; 01-12-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch problem?