Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trike Lift Bench

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 02:28 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

This is not the first one I've seen.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:20 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

WOW Mr. Wiz, I've never seen a lift table fail like that, going to have to take a look at mine, maybe reinforce the bed with some angle iron or square stock. I bought mine years ago for our motorcycles. When we graduated to trikes I added the table extensions for the rear wheels. Always felt stable to me, my primary concern was tipping over, not metal failure. The 1000 Lb. capacity was about 250 lbs below the Harley wet weight so I didn't consider it.... now I'm worried

Old 10-31-2013, 05:00 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
This is not the first one I've seen.

That is kind of scary. Did they overload it?? M3 and I have a Handy lift.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Steve, I saw another non trike lift - trike lift that folded with the trike on it.

When it folded the oil or tranny pan was busted and made a real mess. There was a video watching them trying to remove the trike from the lift but since the lift was bent it wouldn't go down. Several guys tried to pick up the front end and roll the trike off. Was comical at best if you imagine these guys slipping and sliding in the oil. A wrecker had to strap it and pick it up then off of the bent lift. When it was finally pulled off the lift the rest of the oil puked out.

This pic and video of this conversion trike were more than a few years ago and I don't remember where I found them. They may have been sent to me.. either way, I looked but couldn't find the images.

All these lifts that are inexpensive (read converted in some way) are just not safe even with manufacture upgrades. This is the reason why I spent the money that I did on a stiff lift that will hold much more weight.

Like you and most all here... love their trike. They spend big money to chrome it up but for less than 1200 or a set of cams they can own a proper lift that will handle the weight.

My greatest wish here is that someone will read this and make a change before there is an accident.

Wishing all happy trails and be safe at home too.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:18 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

I don't know Mike but you can google image Trike Lifts and see all kinds. There are several images from TT, even a pic of M3's lift with both of your TG's in the garage.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:27 PM
Krautster
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, I have a Handy 1000, thought bout rigging it up so my Trike would fit on it..
Realizing I have tens of thousands of dollars on it, decided to get a new one that was rated for the weight... just peace of mind...

P.S. Wiz.. I sold the other lift..

Old 10-31-2013, 08:56 PM
lzski326
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Titan 1500

Old 11-01-2013, 12:39 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
That is kind of scary. Did they overload it?? M3 and I have a Handy lift.
Mike, you and M3 have the Handy that is rated for 1500 pounds which will handle the trike, I bet the picture the wiz is showing is a 1000 lb Handy. The Harley shop here in town had a Handy that was rated for 1000 pounds, they had it buckled with my trike on it.
Butch

Old 11-01-2013, 01:12 AM
ELVISTO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! that's some bent lift MrWizard

Wouldn't have thought it would have bent that much, but no way was I going to try and put side plates on my existing lift,

Whatever I have to pay for the proper lift , will be worth it in the long run,

Thanks for posting that picture, scary to say the least

Old 11-01-2013, 01:32 AM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pit Bull Lifts has an adapter to put on its lift for the TriGlides. I like to use the lift rather than a table because I can get closer to the bike and it's easier on my back without the leaning over.

Quick Reply: Trike Lift Bench