Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TG Adaptor Plate for HD Front Fork Baffle

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:09 PM
boot1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if this mod will fit on the '14 Triglide?

Old 11-18-2013, 06:14 PM
dw2169
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fork Baffle

I took two one inch by 2 inch 1/4 inch bar stock aluminum with two holes in each one and mounted the regular Harley Fork Baffle on mine. Was easy to make and works great. It looks like it was make to fit that way. Just drill a hole in each of the bar stock and fasten them to the bike in the factory holes. Hold the Harley Baffle up and mark the holes that are in the baffle on to the bar stock. Drill the holes out and fasten the baffle. Pretty simple and inexpensive to make.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:44 PM
JJHOG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by boot1
Does anyone know if this mod will fit on the '14 Triglide?
According to Harley online the Front Fork Air Baffle fits up to 2013 Ultra's. They do not list the 2014 Ultra. 2014 they change the diameter of the Front Forks on the Tri Glide and they probably had to change the design of the triple trees. The current Front Fork Air Baffle probably doesn't line up with the holes of the 2014 lower triple tree, if it even has them.

Only real way to tell is to compare the lower triple tree with steering damper on the 2014 vs any previous year Tri Glide. It could be you just have to alter the hole position of the Adaptor Plate to the holes that may be in the lower triple tree of the 2014 MY.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:51 PM
JJHOG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TomWoodgeard
Are you up to making another one up? I would gladly pay for your time.
I really miss the baffle (had one on my 2010 Ultra and it made a big difference)
There's really nothing to making one of these Tom. I put out the measurements because I'm not trying to make any money from this. Just wanted to pass on what I found works to allow us to use the Baffle.

There are only 5 cuts that you have to make and 4 holes to drill. If you have a Jig Saw with a metal cutting blade the cuts are quick. But, you can make these cuts with a Hand Held Hack Saw. The first cut is to get a piece of Aluminum Bar Stock 12 1/2" long out of your 36" piece that you bought at Lowes or Home Depot. The other 4 cuts are to make the left and right notches on the Plate.

To lay out the holes all I used was the Baffle itself. I found the center line of the Adaptor and marked it top to bottom. I then found the center of the Baffle on it top edge and marked it with a Sharpie. For the top holes that go into the lower triple tree I place the Baffle so its top edge was even with the top edge of the Plate and then outlined the holes from the Baffle. For the bottom holes in the Adaptor I turned the Baffle around and line up the top edge of the Baffle with the bottom edge of the Plate and again outlined the holes from the Baffle. Once I had the holes drawn I then took a center punch and put a healthy punch in the center of each hole to guide me drill. I used a 1/8" drill to make a pilot hole in all four holes. I then switched to a 5/16 drill and the first thing I did was flip the plate over and drilled a slight bevel in each hole. Doing this gives you a clean exit hole once you drill from the other side through the plate.

Last edited by JJHOG; 11-18-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:59 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see the necessity.

Last edited by TwinCooled; 11-19-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:47 AM
TomWoodgeard
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK..........I thought you used a band saw to get the cuts nice and straight, and I don't have one.

Thanks.....I will start on this project in a couple of days. It will be nice to have the baffle in place.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:49 AM
sprinkman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought mine from Dennis Swan along with his fork wind deflectors. http://www.tglidestuff.com/

Old 11-19-2013, 09:59 AM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sprinkman
I bought mine from Dennis Swan along with his fork wind deflectors. http://www.tglidestuff.com/
This was the design I came up with a few years back for the lower tree. (had tried a bracket to mount the "ash tray" type baffle). Found it did not work as well as this other. I no longer produce them but Randy Emter does now.
Dennis

Attached Thumbnails TG Adaptor Plate for HD Front Fork Baffle-tree-baffle.jpg  
Old 11-19-2013, 10:15 AM
JJHOG
Road Captain

I bought one from Randy, it's well engineered, built really well and yes it does work too. The Adaptor Plate is simple enough to be made in your own garage and is an alternative if one wants to use the HD Front Fork Air Damper.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi gang, I've been reading all the way through this thread but am wanting to know the benefits to rider and/or bike by installing this baffle. I do a lot of winter riding here in New Mexico.

Quick Reply: TG Adaptor Plate for HD Front Fork Baffle