Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TG Adaptor Plate for HD Front Fork Baffle

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 PM
usmc68
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tryker Dude
Hi gang, I've been reading all the way through this thread but am wanting to know the benefits to rider and/or bike by installing this baffle. I do a lot of winter riding here in New Mexico.
The one I made cuts down the air coming over the top of the gas tank that causes head shake and fatique . It also directs more air flow to the engine area .Byclosing the lower fairing doors and adjusting the bat wing deflectors just right it seem to push a little warmer air upward on the driver area on those cold nights. I also recently lifted the front of the tank 2" and the back 1/2"seemed to help even more with the wind buffeting. over the front of the tank .I can't prove any of this works but in my mind it does.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 PM
usmc68
Cruiser

Hi gang, I've been reading all the way through this thread but am wanting to know the benefits to rider and/or bike by installing this baffle. I do a lot of winter riding here in New Mexico.
The one I made cuts down the air coming over the top of the gas tank that causes head shake and fatique . It also directs more air flow to the engine area .By closing the lower fairing doors and adjusting the bat wing deflectors just right it seem to push a little warmer air upward on the driver area on those cold nights. I also recently lifted the front of the tank 2" and the back 1/2"seemed to help even more with the wind buffeting. over the front of the tank .I can't prove any of this works but in my mind it does.

Last edited by usmc68; 11-25-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: double post
Old 11-25-2013, 05:52 PM
usmc68
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sloufoot
Here is an air foil that Was made by a member (ronnie cissell) on this forum. It works great. I am running it on mine. You don't need the Harley baffle to go with it.

https://app.box.com/s/0dhgtkp547gvktfc64zn
Thanks for the shoutout Sloufoot

Old 11-25-2013, 06:58 PM
JJHOG
Road Captain

Tryker, just installing the front fork air baffle will reduce some of the wind the comes up from the front of the tank and into your chin and face. However, if you install both the front fork air baffle along with the front fork wind deflectors you will find there is a huge reduction in the amount of wind that hits you from underneath the batwing. You will find that riding in colder temps is not really that unbearable, especially if you have a heated jacket liner.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:13 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc68
Thanks for the shoutout Sloufoot
I like it better than using the HD baffle. It goes all the way across, not just a small circle in the center. Also it has a place in the middle that shows pieces added on to stop the flow out the side of the cuts to make the air flow to the engine. I didn't use those & it works fine.
It doesn't cost much to make, & a vinegar bath on the aluminum before you paint it will make the paint last. CHEAP !!
If you have the HD baffle already then an adapter might be in order.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:47 AM
ZBear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took the "blue print" to work to see if tool and die could snag me a piece of aluminum so I could make the baffle. The guy said he should have some time this week to go ahead and cut per print it for me. What a deal. Sometimes, well more than sometimes, I am dumb, but what does the vinegar bath do prior to painting? Clean? Etch?

Old 11-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks fellas, guess I'll have to give it a try. I'm gathering from what you two told me, if I leave the baffle mounted year round it will help with cooling in the summer. Not sure that the fork wind deflectors would be beneficial in the summer.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:21 PM
sloufoot

Originally Posted by ZBear
Took the "blue print" to work to see if tool and die could snag me a piece of aluminum so I could make the baffle. The guy said he should have some time this week to go ahead and cut per print it for me. What a deal. Sometimes, well more than sometimes, I am dumb, but what does the vinegar bath do prior to painting? Clean? Etch?
I think you will like it. The vinegar(white) cleans the surface & etches, you are right. I have had the best luck painting aluminum that way.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:35 PM
sloufoot

Thanks fellas, guess I'll have to give it a try. I'm gathering from what you two told me, if I leave the baffle mounted year round it will help with cooling in the summer. Not sure that the fork wind deflectors would be beneficial in the summer.
I leave both fork deflectors & baffle on year around. They are mostly for killing the buffeting in the face of the air over the tank. If I need more air I use the side wings to pull in more air around me. I use a flipped windshield & I have my tank raised 2" in the front & 1/2" in the rear. It helps air around the engine & I like the looks a lot better. It also lets me clean the engine better. You know, more of that shiny stuff to rub on !!

Old 11-27-2013, 04:33 AM
ZBear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sloufoot
I think you will like it. The vinegar(white) cleans the surface & etches, you are right. I have had the best luck painting aluminum that way.
Thanks for the info. Never knew that about vinegar. Hopefully Iwill have it in hand today and give it a bath and paint tomorrow.

Quick Reply: TG Adaptor Plate for HD Front Fork Baffle