Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Installed the TriGlide Stuff Rear Lifts

Old 02-09-2014, 02:22 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,243 Likes on 11,134 Posts
Default Installed the TriGlide Stuff Rear Lifts

So, I was previously a naysayer. I even went so far as to having bought and then returned the lifts to Dennis about a year ago. Btw...he took them back without a question. The reason I returned them without installing was that I did a lot of twisty mountain road riding, was happy with the handling, and didn't want to change it...which I erroneously thought the lifts would do.

Now...fast forward a year. I found myself and the TriGlide relocating to the San Diego area, where I do not do as much tight twisty roads. Also, I am planning to do some trips carrying the Tri in my trailer. I found that if I am not careful with the angle of the trailer my pipes dragged. Also, admittedly...the low rider rear look was starting to bug me. So, I ordered the lift kit from Dennis again. After ordering, my lifts showed up on my door step in a few days.

The installation went well. The biggest issue I had was jacking up the trike. I used the Craftsman "yellow" mc jack. Lifting from the center did not work as I could not get the jack far enough back to keep from lifting the front end, and had no way to keep the front down. So, I piled pieces of 2x4s on the lift to clear the pipes and jacked it from the rear cross member. This was not the most stable...but it worked. Then partway into the install I discovered one of the 2x4s was lifting the axle, and so the axle did not drop when I removed the original brackets. So I had to use a hydraulic jack to lift the Tri, so I could move the errant 2x4, thereby making the axle happy.

After the jacking challenge, the install went smoothly...after I discovered that "follow the instructions" really meant follow the instructions EXACTLY!!! By following the proper order of installation of the bolts, the install went easily.

My impressions:
- I much better like the look! No more droopy '54 Buick look.
- after about 300 miles, of up to 75MPH freeway riding, and some moderate twisties, I did not notice much difference in handling.
Note: I am running mfg recommended tire pressure, with 35 pounds in the rear shocks.
- I can take tight turns as fast as my rear seat commander is wiling to tolerate, without any sense of instability.
- one change/improvement in the handling is that the font tire does not break loose as easily when powering through turns.

Bottom line: I am very pleased with the improvement, and very impressed with Dennis' service.

Oh yeah...FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY!!!

Old 02-09-2014, 05:31 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Love the look, twisties are really fun.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:19 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Yep

I have the lift kit here on my desk...the sad part is my new 2014 hasn't even been delivered to me yet and I'm buying upgrades! The jacking up is the only part I need to look into...I don't have a trike to look at to even determine how to do it best. So in two weeks when I get the trike I will look into the rear cross member technique. I would like it if it could be lifted under the engine area under frame like a normal Harley. But it seems everyone used the rear method and I will have to decide when I do install. Surprised you didn't notice much difference in the way it Handled?
thanks for info
Hap

Old 02-10-2014, 04:42 AM
ZBear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hapbob
I have the lift kit here on my desk...the sad part is my new 2014 hasn't even been delivered to me yet and I'm buying upgrades! The jacking up is the only part I need to look into...I don't have a trike to look at to even determine how to do it best. So in two weeks when I get the trike I will look into the rear cross member technique. I would like it if it could be lifted under the engine area under frame like a normal Harley. But it seems everyone used the rear method and I will have to decide when I do install. Surprised you didn't notice much difference in the way it Handled?
thanks for info
Hap
I really hate to admit this, but after I put the trike away for the winter, I went to install the lift brackets. I laid them out on the floor and the install went pretty easy, followed the instructions. The next day I picked up the stock brackets and went to put a wire tie through them to put up on the shelf. There was my problem. They didn't match. I put the stock bracket back on the right side. Gezz, I felt dumb.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:23 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
So, I was previously a naysayer. I even went so far as to having bought and then returned the lifts to Dennis about a year ago. Btw...he took them back without a question. The reason I returned them without installing was that I did a lot of twisty mountain road riding, was happy with the handling, and didn't want to change it...which I erroneously thought the lifts would do.

Now...fast forward a year. I found myself and the TriGlide relocating to the San Diego area, where I do not do as much tight twisty roads. Also, I am planning to do some trips carrying the Tri in my trailer. I found that if I am not careful with the angle of the trailer my pipes dragged. Also, admittedly...the low rider rear look was starting to bug me. So, I ordered the lift kit from Dennis again. After ordering, my lifts showed up on my door step in a few days.

The installation went well. The biggest issue I had was jacking up the trike. I used the Craftsman "yellow" mc jack. Lifting from the center did not work as I could not get the jack far enough back to keep from lifting the front end, and had no way to keep the front down. So, I piled pieces of 2x4s on the lift to clear the pipes and jacked it from the rear cross member. This was not the most stable...but it worked. Then partway into the install I discovered one of the 2x4s was lifting the axle, and so the axle did not drop when I removed the original brackets. So I had to use a hydraulic jack to lift the Tri, so I could move the errant 2x4, thereby making the axle happy.

After the jacking challenge, the install went smoothly...after I discovered that "follow the instructions" really meant follow the instructions EXACTLY!!! By following the proper order of installation of the bolts, the install went easily.

My impressions:
- I much better like the look! No more droopy '54 Buick look.
- after about 300 miles, of up to 75MPH freeway riding, and some moderate twisties, I did not notice much difference in handling.
Note: I am running mfg recommended tire pressure, with 35 pounds in the rear shocks.
- I can take tight turns as fast as my rear seat commander is wiling to tolerate, without any sense of instability.
- one change/improvement in the handling is that the font tire does not break loose as easily when powering through turns.

Bottom line: I am very pleased with the improvement, and very impressed with Dennis' service.

Oh yeah...FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY!!!
Nice, Dennis is a great person to do business with. When I had my Triglide I had a wait and see when the lifts 1st hit the streets. I then decided to give them a try and found they were money well spent, I then bought the Tour-pak rails from tglidestuff and found them also to be of high quality and money well spent.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:40 AM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBear
I really hate to admit this, but after I put the trike away for the winter, I went to install the lift brackets. I laid them out on the floor and the install went pretty easy, followed the instructions. The next day I picked up the stock brackets and went to put a wire tie through them to put up on the shelf. There was my problem. They didn't match. I put the stock bracket back on the right side. Gezz, I felt dumb.
We call that a “Detroit lean”

Old 02-10-2014, 06:43 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

M3 is right. I made my own Tour Pak Shims, but TGlide Stuff sells them. After installing the lift kit, levelling out the TourPak was the next most obvious step. It was easy to do, allows me to clean under the TourPak much easier, and greatly improves the look of the bike.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:40 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

IMHO... if you own a trike you need to own a set of shorty jack stands and a 2 Ton floor jack. I use them on the lift as well as on the ground. The floor jack comes in very handy to adjust the exhaust cross over tube and support bracket and many other things. You guys that have removed your exhaust understand how hard it is to line up the bracket bolt by yourself.

Tour Pack rails are a must. Makes a huge difference and is an easy install.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:54 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
IMHO... if you own a trike you need to own a set of shorty jack stands and a 2 Ton floor jack. I use them on the lift as well as on the ground. The floor jack comes in very handy to adjust the exhaust cross over tube and support bracket and many other things. You guys that have removed your exhaust understand how hard it is to line up the bracket bolt by yourself.

Tour Pack rails are a must. Makes a huge difference and is an easy install.
I never had any problems with the exhaust. I just watched M3 do it on Saturday and it was very easy for me.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:17 PM
rotcart
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hapbob
thanks for info
Hap
I had a 2012 Tri Glide and now I have a 2014 Tri Glide the dealer was more than happy to install the lift kits for me. It was about a year after I got the 2012 when the dealer installed the lift kit and the 2014 is being done before I take delivery. I do not take delivery of the new one till April 1st.
All they can do is say no.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed the TriGlide Stuff Rear Lifts