Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trade in 2012 for 2014 tri glide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:06 PM
blt3-1vet
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded my 2011 Trike in for a 2014. No regrets except some parts will not fit the 14-chrome for windshield; front fender skirt; windshield pouch; and some other parts wouldn't fit the new bike. Rear bumper will fit the new bike. Now for the good stuff. New bike accelerates and has plenty of power. I bought the bike in October 2013. Turned 1k April 14. NO HEAT ISSUES at all. Love the new brakes. The radio is still challenging. Need to tinker more with it. Only fault I've found so far is the back rest is rubbing against the tour pak and rubbing the paint!

Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
I wouldn't hold my breath, they never came out with anything to help the 09 - 10 owners retro the 30 tooth sprocket. When I inquired with customer service the lady with the superior than me attitude said that was an upgrade for the 11's and they wouldn't be doing anything for the previous MY's as far as an upgrade path.

I really don't understand why you hold such a grudge over the retrofit thing. Automobile manufacturers don't go back and make improvements to their older models. They make improvements on the newer models so that you will buy the newer model. If there was enough demand an after market company would have seized the opportunity.

I do on the other hand have empathy for your situation. I also do not condone the attitude of the MOCO CSR. I am sure the MOCO doesn't either.

Ride safe!

Old 04-14-2014, 09:30 PM
TwinCooled
Banned

Originally Posted by Bubba49
Amen to that! I bought 3 TG/SG trikes from the MOCO and they don't keep in touch with me unless they want me to renew my HOG membership. I spent over a hundred and fifteen grand (cash money not financed) and they treat me like I don't exist. That's one of the reasons I'll never buy another one from them. I'm gonna rebuild the motor in my current trike and ride it till I can't ride no more.

Bubba
It is your dealer that has failed you not the MOCO.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:41 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinCooled
I really don't understand why you hold such a grudge over the retrofit thing. Automobile manufacturers don't go back and make improvements to their older models. They make improvements on the newer models so that you will buy the newer model. If there was enough demand an after market company would have seized the opportunity.

I do on the other hand have empathy for your situation. I also do not condone the attitude of the MOCO CSR. I am sure the MOCO doesn't either.

Ride safe!
I hold the grudge because all they had to do was offer a download for speedometer correction on the 09 - 10. The aftermarket has the solution for both the sprocket and speedometer correction if a person wanted to play Russian Roulette with their warranty. I had no problem coughing up the money for the sprocket and even the download. IMO the move to a 30 tooth was a fix of a flawed design which they should have caught and dealt with the 1st time. The MoCo has gotten in the habit of using its customer base as beta testers over the last handful of years, which is fine if they offer to take care of their flawed designs.

Instead of motivating me to buy another new one they instead pushed me in a different direction. I still enjoy riding my remaining Harley, I also enjoy wrenching on them. I just don't see me buying a new one anytime soon, a used one in the 06 and older range is about all I'd buy in the 2 wheel category. I would entertain an 09 Triglide to heavily modify, I would like to stuff either a 131" R&R or 145" S&S in one for something interesting to do.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

It is your dealer that has failed you not the MOCO.
Glad you know more about my situation than I do. Next time I want to know something about it I'll just ask you. Piece of advice, you really ought to speak about things you know about. I know who failed me and I stated it that way.

Bubba

Old 04-15-2014, 09:34 PM
TwinCooled
Banned

Originally Posted by Bubba49
Glad you know more about my situation than I do. Next time I want to know something about it I'll just ask you. Piece of advice, you really ought to speak about things you know about. I know who failed me and I stated it that way.

Bubba
Whatever Crusty.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:57 PM
TwinCooled
Banned

Originally Posted by msocko3
I hold the grudge because all they had to do was offer a download for speedometer correction on the 09 - 10. The aftermarket has the solution for both the sprocket and speedometer correction if a person wanted to play Russian Roulette with their warranty. I had no problem coughing up the money for the sprocket and even the download. IMO the move to a 30 tooth was a fix of a flawed design which they should have caught and dealt with the 1st time. The MoCo has gotten in the habit of using its customer base as beta testers over the last handful of years, which is fine if they offer to take care of their flawed designs.

Instead of motivating me to buy another new one they instead pushed me in a different direction. I still enjoy riding my remaining Harley, I also enjoy wrenching on them. I just don't see me buying a new one anytime soon, a used one in the 06 and older range is about all I'd buy in the 2 wheel category. I would entertain an 09 Triglide to heavily modify, I would like to stuff either a 131" R&R or 145" S&S in one for something interesting to do.
Your "flawed design" comment got me thinking about GMs first incarnation of the Duramax diesel with internal injectors. Now there was a flawed design. They actually extended the warranty on those to 7 years/200k miles (injectors) but they kept making them for 3.5 model years. How about the 6.0L Ford PowerStroke that was made for 4.5 model years or the replacement 6.4L that lasted all of 3 model years? There are some "design flaws" for you. Having a rear sprocket with the wrong number of teeth is not a "design flaw" to me, more like a testing failure.
My point is that there aren't any perfect manufacturers out there, just ask BMW or KTM owners for a couple quick examples.
The MOCO isn't perfect but they are the only ones who make Harley Davidsons. I've owned lots of them. Including AMFs, Shovels, Pans, Iron Heads, Evos... Lots. I've owned Harleys that if they weren't leaking oil it was because they had no oil. If I ever buy another motorcycle, it will be a Harley. It's more than a machine. That says it all for me personally. YMMV.
Ride safe!

Last edited by TwinCooled; 04-15-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:02 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

The MOCO isn't perfect but they are the only ones who make Harley Davidsons. I've owned lots of them. Including AMFs, Shovels, Pans, Iron Heads, Evos... Lots. I've owned Harleys that if they weren't leaking oil it was because they had no oil. If I ever buy another motorcycle, it will be a Harley. It's more than a machine. That says it all for me personally. YMMV.
Ride safe!
When I 1st started riding Harley's I was thinking its more than a motorcycle, its a life style. I then decided it was a motorcycle and I bought it because I wanted a motorcycle. The life style thing just isn't how I roll. I now look at motorcycle or trikes like tools, I choose the best and most reliable tool for the job at hand.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:47 PM
jlgale
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still 'personalizing' my '12. She's paid off also and plan to keep her. Unless something great comes out my '12 will be my last bike!