Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trade in 2012 for 2014 tri glide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:54 PM
refika98
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade in 2012 for 2014 tri glide?

I have a 2012 tri glide, with less than 10k miles and about 50% equity in it and thinking about trading it in for a 2014, rolling over the loan, etc. Haven't test rode one yet, dealers around me can't keep one long enough for test rides.

So other than the obvious "you should test ride one to know" answer, is it worth it to trade in a 2012 for a 2014 tri glide? Is the difference "that" much more improved in handling, heat, comfort, luxury, etc?

I know the blue book trade in value on 2012 but does anyone know how much over blue book dealers are giving (approx)? Of course, I'll shop around but before I start all the work, but first I'm trying to determine if it's even worth thinking about trading up before I start all the legwork.

Are there any current issues with the 2014's? I know about the recalls, coolant leaks, issue with the brakes, etc., and heard they have been resolved, or so it seems. Has anyone heard/experienced any recent issues in the models coming off the assembly line?

I guess the short question is if you could trade your 2012 or earlier trike for a 2014 would you and why?

Old 04-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I traded in my '13 lol. Guess what really matters is what you are comfortable with.

Rax

Old 04-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Totally happy with my 2012 and have it personalized my way. I have parts and accessories from every HD I've had going back to 2001 on my trike. Just not enough gotta haves on the 14s for me. I'm in the same equity position as you and it would be a roll over for me as well.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:10 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

If you find any dealer that will give you WHOLESALE book for your used trike you will be doing good. They don't have to deal, they can't keep them on the floor. We will be buying a '14 later this year, then sell the '09 outright, or keeping it at our Arizona home.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 AM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Screwball - If you're going to move up, sell your '12 outright and pay that loan off, then go deal on a '14. (Unless you can afford two payments until you sell the '12)

Trikes are holding their value very well... You might as well cash in on that phenomenon rather than hand the opportunity to HD!

Remember - You'll have to re-buy all the custom goodies if you had any... Pay the sales tax, higher registration, etc. etc...

I got our 2011 broke in and fixed up just the way I want it. I won't live long enough to wear this one out!

Old 04-07-2014, 11:37 AM
JCloud
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I went to buy my 2014 TG in October the dealer told me if I sold my 2011 RKC I would be looking at MSRP plus delivery and prep (SC has a $300 cap on sales tax) I also got a 10% discount on part and no sales tax as they all went on the same bill with the $300 cap. He said the only way he could help was by giving me more for my trade and helping me with the ESP. He did and I got what I think was a good deal.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Happy, happy, happy

Originally Posted by Delta
Totally happy with my 2012 and have it personalized my way. I have parts and accessories from every HD I've had going back to 2001 on my trike. Just not enough gotta haves on the 14s for me. I'm in the same equity position as you and it would be a roll over for me as well.
Couldn't agree more. I have lots of "stuff" on my 2012 TG. I wouldn't give it up for a 2014 with nothing on it....NO WAY. I like it. Yes, I even have a few things from a 1998 model. I like to keep stuff.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 PM
rowdy02
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading...

I too thought about trading my 13 for a 14, and almost pulled the trigger, but the difference was about 8 grand... that is with Harley taking all the accessories and chrome off from my 13 and putting them on the 14. The reason I wanted the 14 was mainly because of the new fairing, and the built in GPS, and the awesome sound system. My local Harley dealership, thought if I waited Harley would come up with some sort of swap out for the fairing and wiring harness, would be much cheaper than 8 grand. But who know if that will happen, or how long. Until then, I will throughly enjoy my 13, it a fantastic machine!

Old 04-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The big selling points for me was the engine, radio, and fairing. No regrets we totally love the '14!

Rax

Old 04-09-2014, 05:47 PM
dondee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rowdy02
I too thought about trading my 13 for a 14, and almost pulled the trigger, but the difference was about 8 grand... that is with Harley taking all the accessories and chrome off from my 13 and putting them on the 14. The reason I wanted the 14 was mainly because of the new fairing, and the built in GPS, and the awesome sound system. My local Harley dealership, thought if I waited Harley would come up with some sort of swap out for the fairing and wiring harness, would be much cheaper than 8 grand. But who know if that will happen, or how long. Until then, I will throughly enjoy my 13, it a fantastic machine!
I'm thinking they'll come up with a retro fit kit for the liquid cooling, too.

Quick Reply: Trade in 2012 for 2014 tri glide?