Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Sluggish 1st gear.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:10 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucket list Trike
I noticed that when going up a steep hill from a stop, I have to really give the Trike a push on the throttle and let the clutch slip until I get up around 2000 or more rpms. Seems that the Trike needs a lower 1st gear. Not sure why it is doing that. All other gears seam ok. It seems like the Trike wants to start to die on me. Bike idles about 900 rpms after its warmed up. Even from a stop it seems like I have to give it a kick in the butt for it to sound like it is running on both cylinders. Not sure if I am explaining this correctly. After the stage one I hope it has a little more umph to get out of the way of cars behind me on a hill. Does your Trike have that problem in 1st gear. I feel like I'm being a hot shot by having to give it that much of a throttle out on first.
What is the year of your TG. As already stated the 09&10 came with a 32 tooth sprocket. Changing to a 30 tooth makes a considerable difference. When M3 changed mine to a 30 it made all the difference in the world.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:44 PM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Staage one installed and 4 inch pipes.

Picked up the trike today and took it for a ride. Some smell from the new exhaust but it sounded better. I now need to put some miles on the Trike, Talked with the mechanic and he said it takes a few miles to get everything to set in, like valves. so off I go. I just need to spend a day out on the road. Looking forward to just getting on the road and put some miles out in the country roads. Did mostly in town driving around traffic and feelo like I can handle cars close up. Still need to get more familiar with the brakes and hand brake. got some pain in the hands and fingers so using the trike will help get those in shape. I think the stage one has worked for me so far. I noticed the Trike seemed to run cooler. Just my thoughts.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:49 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default yea

I am new to the trike world...And really am impressed with everything about new Rush Trike. I have noticed it takes a bit more throttle on take off than any other Harley I've had...makes senses because of the weight on this thing...I just have to get used to that. Once underway I still am thrilled with performance and comfort, and the light sporty feel of riding believe it or not!
Hap

Old 04-13-2014, 07:50 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front Pully

Originally Posted by BigBill1
I think the MY 09 and 10 have a 32 tooth primary sprocket. Mines an 09 and it's a little sluggish on take off until I get to my rpm sweet spot above 2500. I try to keep the rpm's up above 2500 then it's fine. Some folks change the sprocket to a 30 tooth and it does help with luging some what. Ride safe
I agree. I had a 2008 conversion. I had to replace the front pulley with a 30 tooth, made a tremendous difference. My 2012 came with a 30 tooth.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Great 1st ride with comfort lift and stage one.

My 2014 now has about 75 miles on it and every time I go out I feel much better about my purchase. Still getting used to forcing myself to use the front and rear brake. Read somewhere that using the engine for braking hurts the engine. I will ask the mechanic about that. I cant see not using it when I am in 3rd or 4th and start to come to a stop, backing off of the throttle is the first thing I do. I cant see just engaging the clutch and use the front and rear brakes to come to a complete stop. Then downshifting while at a stop. Bike sounds great with the 4 inch SE exhaust. I am happy rider now. Waiting for some extra chrome stuff and should be finished with the Blings.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:51 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucket list Trike
My 2014 now has about 75 miles on it and every time I go out I feel much better about my purchase. Still getting used to forcing myself to use the front and rear brake. Read somewhere that using the engine for braking hurts the engine. I will ask the mechanic about that. I cant see not using it when I am in 3rd or 4th and start to come to a stop, backing off of the throttle is the first thing I do. I cant see just engaging the clutch and use the front and rear brakes to come to a complete stop. Then downshifting while at a stop. Bike sounds great with the 4 inch SE exhaust. I am happy rider now. Waiting for some extra chrome stuff and should be finished with the Blings.
You have been bitchin and whining about your trike for weeks, telling us all about the issues you are having?? And you have 75 miles on it? Stop the sniveling and go for a ride. I really hope you meant 750 miles!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:16 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,220 Likes on 11,133 Posts

Yup! Go ride that sucker. Don't be afraid to downshift, as lolg as you keep the revs within the breakin limit.

You sound like maybe you have not ridden before. If that is the case I would suggest finding some deserted roads or parking lot to practice in.