Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Sluggish 1st gear.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 AM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sluggish 1st gear.

I noticed that when going up a steep hill from a stop, I have to really give the Trike a push on the throttle and let the clutch slip until I get up around 2000 or more rpms. Seems that the Trike needs a lower 1st gear. Not sure why it is doing that. All other gears seam ok. It seems like the Trike wants to start to die on me. Bike idles about 900 rpms after its warmed up. Even from a stop it seems like I have to give it a kick in the butt for it to sound like it is running on both cylinders. Not sure if I am explaining this correctly. After the stage one I hope it has a little more umph to get out of the way of cars behind me on a hill. Does your Trike have that problem in 1st gear. I feel like I'm being a hot shot by having to give it that much of a throttle out on first.

Last edited by Bucket list Trike; 04-11-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:31 AM
ZBear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bucket list Trike
I noticed that when going up a steep hill from a stop, I have to really give the Trike a push on the throttle and let the clutch slip until I get up around 2000 or more rpms. Seems that the Trike needs a lower 1st gear. Not sure why it is doing that. All other gears seam ok. It seems like the Trike wants to start to die on me. Bike idles about 900 rpms after its warmed up. Even from a stop it seems like I have to give it a kick in the butt for it to sound like it is running on both cylinders. Not sure if I am explaining this correctly. After the stage one I hope it has a little more umph to get out of the way of cars behind me on a hill. Does your Trike have that problem in 1st gear. I feel like I'm being a hot shot by having to give it that much of a throttle out on first.

It was a bit of a learning curve for me also. The trike weighs a whole bunch more than my bagger. This was the 1st spring that I had to get both Harleys out of the bike shed. I had to back the '94 out backwards 1st (with help) into the dip to carry rain away from the shed, then drive it up the slope to the garage. Then the trike. Two inches on each side to get it out the door. Then a sharp 90 to get it pointed up the slope and only a couple inches on each side to get it through the gate. Of course I had it good and warm but still killed it twice. Nervous going through the gate where I can't see the outside of the fenders. I do much better than when it was new. Like everything else on a trike: learning curve.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:15 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't get your hopes up. I don't believe the stage 1 does very much.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Default Stage one mainly for cooling purpses

I mainly wanted the stage one installed for cooling purposes. If it can help out somewhat with the 1st gear, then I will be happy. I also don't care for the tinny sound of the stock pipes. If it becomes a problem, maybe I can have the 1st gear changed to a lower gear. $$$$$$$. I hope not. Anybody do something similar to there gears?

Old 04-11-2014, 12:39 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,250 Likes on 11,136 Posts

Like others have said the Tri is heavy, and it takes a bit to get going. Although from your description it is hard to tell what exactly you are experiencing. On the flat I can get moving slowly with a small amount of throttle. But to get it going faster than the Prius beside me at a light takes quite a bit of throttle. I don't spend much time in 1st gear, and personally think it is low enough. In fact if I am starting out from a stop into a hard turn I get out of 1st quickly as it tends to pick the weight off the front tire and lose traction.

Hmmm...it's a nice day here guess I'll have to go out and experiment for you.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser

Thanks Trigezer. That might be the problem, getting the Trike to move. Went up a friends very steep driveway, thought I was going to pull a wheelie, and then almost past up the turn for his house. What part of San Diego do you live? I live in Lemon Grove. Maybe join up some day after I get more comfortable on the freeways.
Al

Old 04-11-2014, 01:25 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,250 Likes on 11,136 Posts

Thanks Trigezer. That might be the problem, getting the Trike to move. Went up a friends very steep driveway, thought I was going to pull a wheelie, and then almost past up the turn for his house. What part of San Diego do you live? I live in Lemon Grove. Maybe join up some day after I get more comfortable on the freeways.
Al
We are in Carlsbad. You will be impressed at how stable the Tri is on the freeways. But, because of all the crazies, I tend to try to avoid them.

BTW...should have asked. What year Tri do you have, and are you the original owner.

Oh yeah...forgot to add that I have SE 255 Cams. Not much difference getting the bike rolling, but they come on hard around 2,250 to 2,500 RPMs. So, I run out of 1st gear quickly. So, maybe not valid as a comparison.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 04-11-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:40 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Bucket, you are starting to worry me. A stage 1 will do VERY little to increase performance or lower temperatures. If your legs are getting hot, I'd bet you have your legs wrapped around the gas tank and are squeezing to stay on. Seen that with a bunch of novice trike riders. Honking the horn because you want eye contact with cars will only get you the finger and nasty comments. Trying to start a Harley from a stand-still with very little throttle will only stall your scoot. Ditto pulling hills with little throttle. It will cost you a fortune to change 1st gear, then you will be doing wheelies. IF it were me I'd ride that thing a bit more before you throw any more money at it. Try and ride it between 2000 and 3000 rpm. I've seen too many people in 4th gear at 30mph bitching about the lack of power.
Good Luck.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser

Trigeezer and screwball, thanks for your thoughts. I guess I forgot that the 103 performs best around 3000 rpm. I am satisfied with the Trike. I see a big improvement since I installed the DK comfort lift. The 2014 Triglide is HD newest proto type so I expect more things to come in the next year. Tempted to dump the catalytic converters put need to stay legal. Ive heard pros and cons on the stage one. Life is a gamble and so are add ons for a Trike. So far all is good. Going to pick up my Trike tomorrow from the HD dealer Sweetwater in National City. I tend to enjoy the back roads, seem to be less intimidating. I will be riding with my son , daughter in law and niece and her husband. So it would be me and 3 other bikes. Saftey in mumbers maybe. Will let you guys know how it goes after I put some miles on the Trike. I guess the ECM has to go through a learning curve before it makes the needed history of the way the Trike is driven.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:18 PM
BigBill1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the MY 09 and 10 have a 32 tooth primary sprocket. Mines an 09 and it's a little sluggish on take off until I get to my rpm sweet spot above 2500. I try to keep the rpm's up above 2500 then it's fine. Some folks change the sprocket to a 30 tooth and it does help with luging some what. Ride safe

Quick Reply: Sluggish 1st gear.