Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri Glide handling

Old 04-14-2014, 08:53 PM
PrairieHD
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tri Glide handling

I am not a HD owner and currently ryde a Spyder. But I'm considering trading for a Tri-Glide. (I wish I could afford to have one of each.) I really like the handling of the Spyder. Until this past weekend I hadn't even ridden a conventional trike. But I test-rode a '14 Tri and really liked it.

I'm wanting to know of others' experience with their HD trikes, handling, etc. I realize that on an HD forum, the opinions will be mostly favorable to HD, but there aren't many HD riders on the Spyder forum! So, do tell!

Here's a criticism I read from a Spyder owner: "One of the problems with the older type trikes is that when the power wheels get going faster than the front steering wheel, they become particularly unstable on turns and flip over."

Does this sound reasonable to you?

Old 04-14-2014, 09:45 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PrairieHD
"One of the problems with the older type trikes is that when the power wheels get going faster than the front steering wheel, they become particularly unstable on turns and flip over."

Does this sound reasonable to you?
Not at all. One of the most stable platforms I have ever ridden on. Only problem you MIGHT feel is you do not counter steer a trike. So curves at speed will give you a pucker factor till you get used to it.

Since you are used to a spider you should have np at all with a TG. They are blast to ride and safe too.

Rax

Old 04-15-2014, 12:02 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Three years on my Tri Glide and I can't imagine how hard you would have to try to flip this thing over. I'm sure it can be done, but not the way I ride. Now if you got into a curve too hot and tried to correct in a panic, maybe. Or go off the road into gravel etc. Most curves that have a posted speed limit are easily taken at that speed and then some.
The faster thru the curve the more arm strength is required and you will know when enough is enough. These things are great highway machines and handle quick lane changes easily. Love the solid axle for handling and stability.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:48 AM
jlgale
Tourer

Love the handling of my TG! Can't imagine how fast I'd have to go to tip her over. I usually have to brake not to run over the 2 wheelers I ride with on the twistys.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:25 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Your Spyder has a system to kill power if it scenes you are loosing control of traction & spinning one wheel faster than the others.
The TriGlide doesn't have that feature. Thank God ! I won't lie to ya about Harley trikes, or all other trikes of the same configuration. They can be flipped over! there is one member on this forum that has done so that I know about.
I have had one wheel up in the rear, but it comes down pretty fast after the loss of traction. That being said you have to work at it to do that!
Most times the front wheel will loose traction before the rear & cause a slide movement. Mainly from pushing things way too far!
Not to scare you off, but it can be done. And it has happened. If you don't ride like a mad man you won't have any problems. VERY STABLE at all speeds.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:29 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

We had a Spyder for about 6 mo. I was not comfortable on it. I mean literally my legs were uncomfortable after short rides. HD, I have plenty of leg room and very comfortable. The handling is different I feel safe on both. I feel less on the rough road, the wife feels more. Of coarse due to two wheels in the back taking the majority of the rough road verses two in front. Even with the little rougher road the wife says the space / seating / leg room is better on the HD. Confidence the HD leaves me feeling as though I can take this trike on any trip without worry. My Spyder never left me with that comfort. There were too many issues with the Spyders going intot limp home mode, throttle body issue, air bag issues, ext. Not saying they are bad, I just lost all confidence in them.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:11 AM
04 Fatboy 67
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When looking for a trike, I test rode a spyder ST for a couple hours. I must admit they do have a sexy look and it rode well. Then I found a used 2011 Street Glide trike with less than 4500 miles on it and fell in love. I even have a detachable tourpak to make it a full blown Triglide when I want. Handling is outstanding, and I have been aggressive in twisties without any issues. I think you would have to be dangerously aggressive to get one to tip in my opinion. This is the most comfortable bike I have owned in my 20 years of riding. I ride with a buddy who is a spyder owner, and he needs to stop and stretch his legs every hour or so due to knee problems.....no need on my FLHXXX, just stretch out on the go and use the highway pegs. Make the switch.....you won't regret it.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:06 AM
PrairieHD
3rd Gear

I plan to test ride the TriG again, fer shur. In considering a conventional trike, I think of the 3-wheel ATVs that would flip over, or that John Deere tractors now have wider front-wheel configurations because of stability problems. When I asked my bro about this scenario, he said you'd have to be in real trouble already before it would flip over.

What I didn't understand is how in the world the front wheel could be moving slower than the rear wheels.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:48 AM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Not having ridden a Spyder I have no way to comment on how they feel & handle...

I've been on a couple trikes over the years. The old ServiCar that I rode 40+ years ago was a handful to ride, but it did not feel particularly unstable as I remember. The Tri Glide is a picture of stability however, and I have no concerns about flipping the thing over. I have had ours in a couple drifts on gravel roads, but had no concerns about flipping.

Keep in mind that anyone could turn a school bus over if they tried hard enough.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:29 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,226 Likes on 11,134 Posts

The center of gravity, even two up, is very low. So, you would have to impart extremely high lateral acceleration (deceleration) to flip the thing. Most people would not have the arm strength to hold a tight enough high speed turn to even come close to lifting a wheel. Most likely you would not be able to maintain the turn, and hit something else. If you manged to get her sideways at speed and hit something in the slide that might do it. But, that would do in any vehicle. As far as it doing a front ender roll...like the old 3 wheel ATVs ( ask me how I know)...due to the weight of the TriGlide...I think thstbiscthe impossible.

I never test drive the CanAm...but did a lot of research befor my decision to go with the a TriGlide. Some of the things that swayed me were:
- reliability & and dedicated dealer network
- fewer hi tech stuff to fail
- more comfortable on long rides
- more accessories to spend your money on
- extremely stable at speed
- doesn't look like a snowmobile coming at you

I would suggest finding a dealer to rent one from for a day, even if you have to travel a distance to find one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tri Glide handling