Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

will a bluetooth headset work on 2014

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 10:07 AM
MB1953
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
We have the Sena SMH10 units. I purchased a Clear Sound Bluetooth Stereo transmitter and a 7 pin to 3.5mm adapter. This will give you the music, PGS, and phone capability. I think the adapter was about $20 and the transmitter was $40. I chose the Clear Sound unit because you can charge it while using it, others wouldn't. I'll attach a picture with labels. If you want to kick it up a notch, you can order (About 30 bucks) the accessory helmet clamp. It allows you to use any ear buds or headset you want instead of the helmet speakers they provide. I took a pair of Sony Studio headsets, removed the head gear and put the earpieces in the helmet recess. TALK ABOUT GOD AWFUL SOUND!!! I can listen to Santana loud enough to make my eyes bleed and no one is bothered with my volume.

ENJOY.
OK, I am looking to revisit this... yesterday went to J&P and picked up the Cardo Scalarider Q1 set, bluetooth headsets for rider and passenger. Very nice looking hardware. Art, the tech guy at J&P, said it is very easy to set up, and great sound, etc. Each headset has its own built-in radio receiver, and can pair with a phone and one other device. I charged it up last night, and set out this morning to pair it with the TG. They found each other, but pairing failed even after mutiple password attempts. A quick phone call to Cardo; they are an American company, and they have tech support right here in the US! Told my friendly knowledgable tech about what I was having trouble with, and he quickly replied that the system was NOT compatible with HD Boom system, as HD did not conform to the A2DP profile standard.

My question now is, should I keep these, and use them standalone with their own receivers, or go for the Clearsound transmitter? Is it bidirectional (talk and listen) for the phone? Does it support 2 devices (headsets)? Or should I just keep looking? Not much chance that HD will change their stuff to work with someone else's.

thanks,

Old 09-15-2014, 12:19 PM
COFLHTK
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I am running Sena SMH10 headsets (my helmet and my lady's). These are configured to talk to each other and also hooked to our separate phones (yes you can play music on your phone and it only goes to the headset it is configured for). I also have a Sena SM10 that I can connect with a 3.5mm stereo jack to 7 pin DIN cable to the trikes headset connector. So when i want the trikes music played through my headset, I simply switch the trikes music output to headset and turn on the SM10, and voila, music in both headsets. Maybe that will help others.

Links to parts:
Amazon.com: Sena SMH10-11 Motorcycle Bluetooth Headset/Intercom with Universal Microphone Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Sena SMH10-11 Motorcycle Bluetooth Headset/Intercom with Universal Microphone Kit: Automotive

Amazon.com: Sena SM10-01 SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter: Automotive Amazon.com: Sena SM10-01 SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter: Automotive

Amazon.com: Sena SC-A0120 3.5mm Stereo Jack to 7-Pin DIN Cable for Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Automotive Amazon.com: Sena SC-A0120 3.5mm Stereo Jack to 7-Pin DIN Cable for Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Automotive

Old 09-15-2014, 04:57 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

We have used the Sena SMH 10 headsets for years. My old (2009) Harley didn't have a Bluetooth radio, so I bought the Clear Sound stereo Bluetooth transmitter and an adapter for the radio plug in the dash. I used the Clear Sound transmitter because it will work while being charged, the cheaper wouldn't. We have 'paired' two separate SMH 10 units to that Clear Sound at the same time. As Co... said, each unit can be paired with it's own MP-3 player and telephone, independent of the other unit. The Sena units have a priority system. Intercom, telephone, or GPS will override music. We love the units. As a matter of fact, since I sold my Tri-glide and bought a Freewheeler with no radio we are back to the "eggs" (as we call the Sena units) after many years. I now use a bluetoothed enabled MP-3 player. I just bought the new SGH-10 headset for half helmets. Fit over the ears and aren't attached to the helmet. Good Luck!

Old 09-16-2014, 11:17 AM
COFLHTK
Cruiser

I just bought the new SGH-10 headset for half helmets. Fit over the ears and aren't attached to the helmet. Good Luck!
I cant find an SGH-10. Did you mean SPH-10?

Old 09-16-2014, 03:11 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by COFLHTK
I cant find an SGH-10. Did you mean SPH-10?

Got fat fingers when typing. You are correct, SPH-10. Supposed to be delivered today or tomorrow.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:36 PM
COFLHTK
Cruiser

Got fat fingers when typing. You are correct, SPH-10. Supposed to be delivered today or tomorrow.
I look forward to reading your review of it.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Want to hear what ya think too Screwball!

Rax

Old 09-17-2014, 01:27 PM
Bpago
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a Scala Cardo G 4 for my bike communications. We ride a lot with another couple who have the same. We are paired to our phones and and the scala's have their own radio. All four riders can talk at the same time up to about 3/4 mile or more. Great for trips. Battery life is about 10 hrs. I love wireless. My Harley headsets are still in the box. I have not tried to pair the Bluetooth headsets to the bike system. I usually listen to the infotainment system by Pandora or MP3. The Bride likes her own MP3 music piped into her headset by cable. This has worked for me.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by ELVISTO
Yes it will, look in the thin quick set up guide, very easy to do ,
The correct answer is NO.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:36 PM
MB1953
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
The correct answer is NO.
Unfortunately, this is the case. We have a Cardo Systems ScalaRider system. At this time, no one's Bluetooth headset will pair directly with the HD Boombox Infotainment system... it does not conform to the A2DP profile specification. You can access the HD system's audio output and GPS prompts with a bluetooth headset by using a hardwired connection to an external Bluetooth adapter such as a SENA SM10-01, or others, such as the Clear Sound unit Screwball uses, but at this time there is no way to directly directly coonect to it via Bluetooth. I haven't given up, since I don't want to have to use an external device plugged into the bike just to listen, but for now we will use the Scala built in radios, nad look at the screen for GPS when we need it. I don't see HD changing their system, even though it would be convenient for its customers.

Quick Reply: will a bluetooth headset work on 2014