Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Ongoing '14 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics, & thoughts on the differences

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 10:47 PM
Brentwood Bob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin I really enjoyed your Alaska adventure and now your 2014 trike add-ons and replacements are great. The more I read the more I learn. Looking forward to more pics and video. Safe riding to you and Mary.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:12 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Kevin - Did you trade the 2011, sell it outright or do you still have it ?

Old 09-28-2014, 10:45 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob
Kevin I really enjoyed your Alaska adventure and now your 2014 trike add-ons and replacements are great. The more I read the more I learn. Looking forward to more pics and video. Safe riding to you and Mary.
Good to hear you're enjoying them... here's a link to the trip we are on right now, lots of pic, and more to come!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...pic-heavy.html

Originally Posted by ZD
Hey Kevin - Did you trade the 2011, sell it outright or do you still have it ?
I was not looking to trade the 2011. Was very happy with it. The manager at a local dealer wanted me to buy a 2014, told her not interested, got the 2011 set up just how I like it. Still had 4 years left on the extended warranty also.

She said she was going to write up a proposal for me...I said if you want to, but I don't see it happening. She called me a few days later while I was out of town and read it to me. I was a bit surprised. Told her I would stop by when I got back in town.

Got back, told her I would take her offer, IF she thru in the installation of new handlebars (that I would supply), but they pick up the labor, all the lines and wires.

She said ok. So I took almost all my aftermarket parts of the 2011 and put them on the 2014.

Bottom line is that I got to ride the 2011 for 55,000 miles over a 3 year period for less that $5000. Plus I got a new machine.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-28-2014, 11:00 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

I haven't posted in this thread but really need to, for FYI and evaluation from use.
I bought our TG used (2800 miles). When I bought it, it came with the following already installed:
CB radio, XM radio, Mini Saddlebags, Driver adjustable backrest, chrome rear bumper, fender bras, windshield bag, chrome slotted windshield trim, Short HD antennas, bought from seller along with trike and had installed within first week: Chrome front legs and cow bells, chrome handlebar control covers and LED oil dipstick.

Everything above works and looks great except the fender bras, I'm sure they work good but I just didn't like the looks of them on the fenders, to much black with the mini bags and bras. Might use them for long trips, maybe....The short antenna cut down on reception, both radio and CB, but I can accept this and I like the looks.

Switched the passgenger grab rail with the one I bought for my 2013 Ultra. It's an aftermarket one, I think from Kuryakin. It's a flatter rail and doesn't hit the wife's legs. We like it.

Installed drink holders for both the wife and myself, Kuryakin for both. Modifyed the mount for the Butler mug ring ( longer bolt) for use on my handle bar drink mount, I really like the butler mug setup, ugly but one of the best for motorcycles. Have the solid chrome ring from Kury for both front and rear ( allows use of coffee travel mug and will accept a standard 20oz drink cup) basket drink holder and th e Butler mug rings and 20oz cups). Highly recommend the Butler system.
installed a set of "frenched" headlight and passing light trim rings, not crazy about them. Had the ones with the frenched visor rings in the past and may removed the ones installed and buy new ones with the visor, like them better.

Installed a set of Freedom mufflers yesterday, so far I like them. Louder than stock...may turn into to loud, we'll see.

In the garage to be installed:
Fullsac header pipe and Arlan Ness Big Sucker but need to wait until I get a TTS tuner.
Set of Hyper lights, flash five times and go steady. Break lights.
Chrome nastaliga round air cleaner cover for Big Sucker.

Dream list:
Chrome wheels

I think I'm caught up, sorry for the long winded post....

Old 09-29-2014, 12:09 AM
Brentwood Bob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Good to hear you're enjoying them... here's a link to the trip we are on right now, lots of pic, and more to come!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...pic-heavy.html

I was not looking to trade the 2011. Was very happy with it. The manager at a local dealer wanted me to buy a 2014, told her not interested, got the 2011 set up just how I like it. Still had 4 years left on the extended warranty also.

She said she was going to write up a proposal for me...I said if you want to, but I don't see it happening. She called me a few days later while I was out of town and read it to me. I was a bit surprised. Told her I would stop by when I got back in town.

Got back, told her I would take her offer, IF she thru in the installation of new handlebars (that I would supply), but they pick up the labor, all the lines and wires.

She said ok. So I took almost all my aftermarket parts of the 2011 and put them on the 2014.

Bottom line is that I got to ride the 2011 for 55,000 miles over a 3 year period for less that $5000. Plus I got a new machine.

Thanks for the link Kevin. You two have a safe trip. Enjoy the beauty of the northeast It is a site to see this time of year.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:25 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Quick update...will expand more later...

The last 2 days I've really put the '14 to the test in the East Tn, NC area. I could not be more pleased with it. The harder I push it, the more the improvements over the '11 have really made themselves more apparent. I was not unhappy with the '11, just that the '14 has been a Big improvement for me.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:35 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

It's been a long time since I've updated this thread...been really busy.

We've done a few more mods/adjustment, as listed below-

Installed the winter windshield. It is about 4" taller, has a recurve, and is squared off at the top corners to block even more of the air.

This is a windshield I have to look thru, not over. But for riding in cold temps, it blocks Much more of the air.

It works very well at blocking the wind, it also reduces MPG by 1-2. It also makes the front end just a bit lighter and I can feel more feedback in the handlebars from turbulent/crosswind air. Nothing even close to approaching bothersome, but it is there. For us it is a good trade-off for riding in the 20's , 30's and 40's.

One final note...the fairing vent works equally well with this windshield as the stock windshield.

Over the years, we've had several bikes (and 2 Tri-Glides) with Tour-Paks that have the wrap-around passenger backrest. Mary has logged well over 100,000 miles in comfort with those factory stock backrests.

When she sat on the 2014 with the new passenger backrest, it felt even more comfortable for her....UNTIL our first multi-day trip.

As noted in the picture below, the armrests on the new style do not slope down near as much. After hours of riding with her arms resting on those rests, her arms would get sore right below the elbow. Also, she said the backrest being higher and thicker prevented her from leaning back.

Initially she thought she could modify the existing backrest, but after removing it and looking at the plastic frame that the foam and vinyl cover is wrapped around, it became apparent that reshaping it was not really feasible.

So with the stock backrest unbolted and put away on a shelf, she got a piece of paper and made a template of where she wanted the padding to be for her backrest. It turned out to be quite simple.

Here's a pic of what the TP looks like with the backrest removed. Yep, lots of road dust there that never gets cleaned.

Here's a pic of the paper template (top) and then the plastic frame for the new low profile backrest.

This is the tub that she cut the plastic frame/form from. It is close to the same thickness/strength/flexibility as the stock one.

After cutting out the plastic, we marked where the three backrest mount holes needed to be, and then the access holes for the TP lid strap unit. I drilled the holes for her...other than that she did this entire project herself.

Here it is, checking fitment-

She then cleaned up the plastic form and then glued a stiffener to it. This stiffener is a material she uses in making the frame covers for the Sporty solo seat systems. It is a thin, but strong cloth-like material. After the glue had dried, we test fit it to the TP to make sure it would bolt-up and that it was what she wanted.

She then sewed a vinyl cover that slips over the plastic form and then velcros together at the bottom. By using velcro to hold the vinyl cover to the frame (instead of what HD does, which is to staple the vinyl to the plastic) she is able to play with different foams and thickness of foam easily. Plus I had to have access to the bolt heads that secure the rest to the TP.

Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of her sewing this up.

Here is a pic of it installed on the bike, but with no foam in it yet.

Here is a pic with it ready to ride, with about 2" of foam in it.

She has a bit over 5000 miles using this backrest, most of it on the Fall Colors Trip, and it is Much more comfortable for her. She can rest her arms on the speaker pods, but mostly she has room to move them around instead of having to put them on the stock armrests.

She is experimenting with different foams now...the original foam she used did not keep it's form as well as it could have on the trip.

Between her liking it so much better, and the low profile look, it is a keeper.

Another thing I did was add a power point to the Tour Pak. Can't find any pics of it, but it was pretty simple. Ran a fused hot wire and a ground into the TP via the hole already there, then attached the power point to the TP lining. Now we can charge camera, phone, etc. while riding.

Right now I am testing some slip-ons we made. I was running the Rush slip-ons with W258 TTI's and no baffles. Made good power and a deep sound, but I had an idea to get even more power out of a slip-on. It is looking good, but more testing is needed.

We've been testing the onboard air system for quite awhile now. I have not been able to break it...so that is good. We use the momentary switch to add or subtract as little as 1 lb PSI at a time. It is working very well to easily find the sweet spot for the rear shocks, regardless of the load or condition of the road. There are a couple of additional features to the unit (beside shock PSI adjustment) that we hope to release in January.

I don't miss having to stop, remove the side cover, unscrew the schraeder valve cap, get the pump, and then add or subtract air, then button it all back up.

Looking back at the list I made on Page 1 of this thread, I have done pretty much everything on the list....

I still have not made a safety tether for the TP lid.

I want a better oil cooler than the one I'm running.

In all kinds of weather, and 10k miles later, the clear coat I put on the rear wheels is still holding up perfectly....what used to be the most difficult thing to clean is now the easiest!

I still don't know all the features of the infotainment system, but I am regularly using, & enjoying, the following features-

GPS
POI
Info button that gives air temp and oil pressure
USB media with some good tunes on the MP3 (don't miss the CD's one bit)

Since the very first time I test rode a 2011 TG, I have been very impressed with how well it handles. We put over 50k miles on the 2011 TG, and made lots of good memories! The 2014 is an improvement on that with the heavier forks, improved trees, and extra torque. If you haven't seen it, we made a vid of a run thru the Dragon.

From when I first laid eyes on a TG, to today, they look like they would tip over so easily, and I am still impressed with how well they handle and how stable they are.

One final thing I just remembered....I have never used GPS on anything besides the built-in one of the 14 TG. It is an improvement beyond words for a long trip...makes it much more enjoyable, especially for Mary.

It has gotten confused a couple of times...sending us in circles...like it did not know where it was. lol I'm not sure if this is something that happens now and then with all GPS units...but even if it is a shortcoming of the the HD unit only, we are VERY happy with it.

I will continue to update this thread as I do more upgrades to the TG, and have more observations about it.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:08 AM
ELVISTO
Cruiser

Great video on the Dragon, Wish I could have done it on the Trike instead of my Road Glide rental bike,

I'm sure you were going quicker than I was, I had the mufflers catching in places so slowed down out of respect for the bike,

Well done on the backrest Mary it looks good too,

My TG goes in tomorrow to have the clutch re- call done, Did you have yours done Kevin, ? if so did you notice any difference, ,

Thanks again for all the write ups etc, thoroughly enjoyed them,

Old 11-27-2014, 10:18 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by ELVISTO
Great video on the Dragon, Wish I could have done it on the Trike instead of my Road Glide rental bike,

I'm sure you were going quicker than I was, I had the mufflers catching in places so slowed down out of respect for the bike,

Well done on the backrest Mary it looks good too,

My TG goes in tomorrow to have the clutch re- call done, Did you have yours done Kevin, ? if so did you notice any difference, ,

Thanks again for all the write ups etc, thoroughly enjoyed them,
Yeah, going thru the Dragon on a stock 2 wheel HD can have you dragging hard parts pretty easy.

Have not had mine in yet for the clutch recall. I got a bit of a list of things for them when I take it in next.

I'll tell Mary...thanks!

I just remembered two other things that have happened with the '14 that I've never experienced on previous years-

1. On our Fall Color Trip the bracket for the Cowbell horn broke going down the interstate, just leaving the horn hanging by the wires. I still have not taken it in to see if they are going to cover it under warranty.

Picture Mary took going down the road-

Once I pulled over and disconnected the wires-

2. Both my A & B tripmeters reset themselves to the same number as the odometer...weird, only happened once, and has not happened again. For now just chalking it up to a computer glitch.

Final thing...I think my pan hard rod is going bad on the '14. In the last 500 miles I'm getting a similar vibration in sharp corners that I got on the '11 right before they replaced the pan hard rod on it (under warranty).

Old 01-05-2015, 05:09 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

I'm up at the 10,000 mile mark now. Been really happy with the TG.

I do need to take it in for some warranty work, probably in the next week or two-

Front brake master cylinder lid is leaking...probably when the dealer bled the brakes from the new brake line they had to put on for the taller bars.

Clutch recall

Broken horn bracket

Top engine stabilizer (I replaced the lost bolt, spacer and washer already) I want to have them replace the spacer, the one I used is unfinished mild steel, not quite the same diameter as the stock chrome one

Rear pan-hard rod jam nut is loose, going to have them check the heim joints and replace if needed

Rear fender lights... some don't work at all, other work intermittently

I think that's about it for the warranty work.

It has been reliable transportation, plus an extremely comfortable touring ride. Mary and I are already planning about 20K miles of trips for 2015 on it.

Quick Reply: Ongoing '14 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics, & thoughts on the differences