Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Ongoing '14 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics, & thoughts on the differences

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 04:17 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you notice any heat issue in the 90 degree temp ? We rode about 230 miles yesterday in 94 degrees and my right leg was cooking and seat of pants were very damp ! Still bone stock @ 2600 miles

Old 06-03-2014, 04:25 AM
arnie54
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I had the floorboard extensions on my 11 triglide.I don't remember the make, but the right side would fit my 14, on the left side i installed 3/4" spacers between the parking brake mount & the frame. I could of gone with an 1" spacer but i wasn't sure if the parking brake wire was long enough, but it turned out it was. I used grade 8 speed head bolts & haven't had a problem. I weigh almost 220 & I use these to mount & dismount every ride. Since i've been reading this article i went & checked them out.All looks good to me, no bending or any misalignment issues. Kevin if you, or anyone else see something wrong with this method please inform me.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:56 AM
coronetracer65
Tourer

so you used the stock floorboard bracket on the left side and just used spacers ? Or you used a extended floorboard bracket and spacers just for the parking bracket ? Thanks ! Ebert

Old 06-03-2014, 02:13 PM
arnie54
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by coronetracer65
so you used the stock floorboard bracket on the left side and just used spacers ? Or you used a extended floorboard bracket and spacers just for the parking bracket ? Thanks ! Ebert
I used the stock bracket,just placed the the spacers between the bracket & frame this is only on the brake side. The right side that i took off the 11 fit the 14.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:53 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer

Thanks for your reply , us old dudes don't comprehend sometimes ! LOL . Ebert

Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Wheels

What did you exactly do with wheels? Just clean good with ? And clear what on them?
I'm real worried about wheels staining and not getting them looking good again?
Hap

Old 06-04-2014, 01:32 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by coronetracer65
Did you notice any heat issue in the 90 degree temp ? We rode about 230 miles yesterday in 94 degrees and my right leg was cooking and seat of pants were very damp ! Still bone stock @ 2600 miles
Yes & no. The oil was too hot for my standards. I like to see it down around 230 max. I have already done a few things, and will be doing more. This is for engine longevity and performance.

The heat did not bother me at all. But I was in NO stop and go, was moving the entire time. I could feel some heat coming from the cat, but it was not bothersome.

I wear kevlar lined jeans, good boots, underarmor type shorts and shirt and a mesh jacket.

Originally Posted by arnie54
I had the floorboard extensions on my 11 triglide.I don't remember the make, but the right side would fit my 14, on the left side i installed 3/4" spacers between the parking brake mount & the frame. I could of gone with an 1" spacer but i wasn't sure if the parking brake wire was long enough, but it turned out it was. I used grade 8 speed head bolts & haven't had a problem. I weigh almost 220 & I use these to mount & dismount every ride. Since i've been reading this article i went & checked them out.All looks good to me, no bending or any misalignment issues. Kevin if you, or anyone else see something wrong with this method please inform me.
I am planning to do exactly what you did...only 1" instead of the 3/4.

Originally Posted by hapbob
What did you exactly do with wheels? Just clean good with ? And clear what on them?
I'm real worried about wheels staining and not getting them looking good again?
Hap
Cleaned them with rubbing alcohol, then taped them off, then a little tack cloth and a bit more alcohol. Made sure it was completely dry and then did 4 light coats (a few minutes apart) of Rustoleum Acryclic Enamel Crystal Clear (rattle can).

I have not washed them yet, but I did ride in a bit of rain today, and there was no water spots on the wheels like there would have been before.

Only time will tell if they hold up to thousands of miles of road and the occasional wash.

The better way to do it is to powder coat them or hydro dip them. But both of those would have required removing the tires and a bit of a wait to get that done.

So I did the short cut of rattle can clear. If it does not hold up, then I will take the time at some point in the future and PC them or hydro dip them.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-04-2014, 01:51 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

I got 60 more miles in today. Took the long way home from the shop.

I'm looking forward to being done with the break-in miles. There is definitely more power there than the '11. Just can't tell how much with being easy on the wrist and RPM's.

It sure was nice to get the Comfort Lifts on and get a smoother ride and a bit quicker steering.

These were the first miles I put on it with the Wards Parts Werks fans installed.

After it was warmed up I let it sit for about 10 minutes idling, the radiator fans never kicked on...last ride (without the Wards fans) the radiator fans kicked on after about 5 minutes of idling.

My HD brand dipstick oil temp gauge went defective today...3 days after it was purchased. So I had no way to see what the oil temps were doing.

From the pic below you can see I installed my backrest, air hawk and sheepskin. Definitely better for me...but need to get the handlebars made and installed...those puppies are just too short for me.

Also, hopefully you can't see in the pic that Mary put some 3M film on the fenders, the plastic between the fenders and the side covers, and also film on the side covers.

Here's a better pic of the Wards fans and the DK Custom Shift Linkage-

Here's a pic of the wheel after being rattle canned with clear. Looks good, hope it holds up.

Still have quite a few things to do on the list, but making progress.

Last edited by DK Custom; 06-04-2014 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:09 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Thanks Kevin

This thread will be of great interest to me. You have the expieriance with your last trike to know what you want to do to make the new better. Thanks for the wheel info I may clear coat mine to....they stain so easy! I will be interested on what you decide on Cat and header and slip ons ect....I am not crazy of going with tuner over stock...but Maybe XIEDs ?
Your doing a good job man keep it up!
Hap

Old 06-05-2014, 12:46 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by hapbob
This thread will be of great interest to me. You have the expieriance with your last trike to know what you want to do to make the new better. Thanks for the wheel info I may clear coat mine to....they stain so easy! I will be interested on what you decide on Cat and header and slip ons ect....I am not crazy of going with tuner over stock...but Maybe XIEDs ?
Your doing a good job man keep it up!
Hap
Yes, I'm still up in the air on the exhaust system. Mary and I did get to ride this evening for about 100 miles. Ambient temp was 89* when we left and 82* when we returned.

She was VERY impressed with the relative lack of heat she felt on the 2014 compared to the 2011. She said that at no point was she uncomfortable. We were moving most of the time, but we did have a few minutes of stop & go.

So, the 14's even with the cat, are not seeming too hot at first blush. Next weekend we are going on a 1800 mile trip, and I will still have the stock headers with cat on (I probably am going to put some old slip-ons on temporarily) that will be the real test to see how it is for her comfort wise regarding the heat.

Hopefully soon after I get back I will make a decision on the exhaust system.

Regarding the XiED products. We sell a lot of them, and I have used them personally for years on several 2 wheel bikes and been completely happy with them.

We also have some Customers that have installed them on Tri-Glides and been happy with them.

Myself, I have never recommended them for a Tri-Glide. The pre-2014's, in my opinion, need more help than the XiED product can give.

I do not have enough experience with the 2014 Tri-Glides to offer an informed opinion of whether or not they are enough help. The engine in the TG is the same as in the 2 wheelers. The TG has much more weight, and MUCH more wind resistance, the engine is having to work much harder to keep the TG moving thru the wind at 70+ mph than it does on a 2 wheeler.

I will say this, with confidence, the FL-ViED-10 is certainly better than a dealer download.

Until I get more feedback and experience with the 2014 TG's I will hold back any opinion on whether the changes the XiED product makes is "enough".

Here is a link that gives an objective overview of the most popular ways of dealing with the EFI on Stage 1 bikes...gives pro's and con's of each, including the XiED products.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

Quick Reply: Ongoing '14 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics, & thoughts on the differences